• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Is the 'open carry' movement going too far?

would it be any more dangerous than that drunk guy with the car keys?

I'm not disagreeing with you, just throwing it out there. on the rare occasion I decide to go out an have a few...I do not carry. a few may turn into a bunch, and I know myself well enough to remain unarmed.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Open carry mixed with a place serving Alchohol is not a good idea, period. All it takes is one person who cannot handle their alcohol. And I am guessing we all know one person that that combination would be dangerous in.

Here in Iowa, the CCW permit becomes instantly invalid with any consumption of alcohol. You don't have to be legally drunk. It's totally zero-tolerance.

In general circumstances, it comes down to who you trust. Here on the farm, we do a lot of shooting of our guns and each others' guns, and it's all cool because we know each other and everyone is safety conscious.

If I'm in a movie theater, though, and some guy I don't know walks in with a rifle, well, I just have to wonder if it wouldn't be a good idea to pop him before he starts shooting into the crowd.

And that's a real problem with open carry.

But there's a problem with the perception of 'evil' long guns, especially if they're 'black'. More of the bigger mass shootings have been done with pistols.

It's all a mess.

would it be any more dangerous than that drunk guy with the car keys?

I'm not disagreeing with you, just throwing it out there. on the rare occasion I decide to go out an have a few...I do not carry. a few may turn into a bunch, and I know myself well enough to remain unarmed.

I'd rather confront a drunk guy driving a car, than a drunk guy holding a gun. IMHO drunk shooting is worse than drunk driving. There's probably statistics on this if someone wants to do some Google-foo.

Open carry mixed with a place serving Alchohol is not a good idea, period. All it takes is one person who cannot handle their alcohol. And I am guessing we all know one person that that combination would be dangerous in.

Call me old school, I was trained as a kid that Alcohol and guns don't mix. It must have taken, as I don't do it to this day. Guns are stored before I have a beer. I just don't trust others to be that strict.

My nephew used to be a bouncer, and an acquaintance who was also a bouncer got into the middle of two drunks disagreeing about something. One had a gun, he lost his life. Now it was an illegal gun and was not open carry, so you can't really compare it, the point is, alcohol clouds judgement, and with firearms you need absolutely clear judgement. If you have gone through a CC course, you are at least trained into the legal issues and responsibilities of firearms carry. Personally I believe the same training should be mandatory before a person can open carry. If you want to carry it, have the training you need in order to do it. It wouldn't solve all potential issues, but it would help.

So, someone there with a CCW permit and armed would be inclined to bust a few caps on the guy with the rifle.

then that CCW holder is an idiot, and will go to jail for murder or at least assault with a deadly weapon. There is no forcible felony being committed, and nobody's life is in any sort of immediate danger from an AR15 hanging on someone's back on a sling.

Sounds like the arguments from Sarah Brady's crowd…"If CCW passes there will be shootouts over parking spaces!  People gunned down for taking the last toy at a Christmas sale!"

Man dies after being shot over parking space in Queens, mom says - New York Daily News - May 6, 2014

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/son-died-shot-parking-space-mom-article-1.1781377

Man shoots self at Kingsport Christmas tree lot - Times News - December 2, 2013

http://www.timesnews.net/article/9070501/man-shot-at-kingsport-christmas-tree-lot

You won't often lose money betting on humans being stupid.

Even so, this ain't CCW action.

Edited by gnatshooter

I can't trust everyone nor do I whom I don't know but I assume there are more ccw than open carry so when I see the open guy I take extra care to notice what or who else surrounds me not him it's his ass if he chooses but I'm not worried if I'm responsible as a cc or open we have to trust our community and if an open is making a stupid move he should be told ie a place of business has the right to refuse and ask to leave! Leave with out a scene!

/\/\/\/\ I agree with that.

In Arizona it is the law…if a person with the authority on the property tells you to leave and you do not, it becomes criminal trespassing.  If it is due to your carrying a firearm they will tack on misconduct with weapons.

But I still don't think it needs to be legislated.

With all the CCW requirements currently in place, that "Brady" reasoning is total and utter BS. Background checks etc......it's hard to find a "bad" person that can pass it. It's the people without the permits that are carrying that I'd be worried about.

Man dies after being shot over parking space in Queens, mom says - New York Daily News - May 6, 2014

http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.1781377

You won't often lose money betting on humans being stupid.

Most are results of ni**a moments.  <lmao>  <laughs>

Edited by shibiwan

^^^ Yep, you nailed it.

This country has become Pussified.  The "I'M OFFENDED!" behavior has gone WAY too far.

If you're offended, Fuk You.  Man up, grow thick skin, and deal with the world.  The world isn't here for you - you need to blend in and become part of it.  It's tough out there, and some street thug would be more than obliging to show you that - and take your car, wallet and watch, ear rings, necklace, etc. 

This nation is swirling at the bottom of the bowl right now, about to go right down the tube...

The exact reason I do not do facebook ,twitter and I will never own a dumb phone...... pussified is right the masses have turned into whimpering ostriche's with their heads in the sand, when they lift them up every thing they see is a monster...

I was Ten when I got my first gun a 410 shotgun single shot JC higgens , I was allowed to go hunting for squirrels or whatever and whatever I brought home my mother cooked it and I ate it , Today people are so far removed from real life they have only illusions of utopia and singing Kumbye ya.....

I have always laughed at people who think the zombie appocolypse is possible but now i understand the ones with their heads in the sand are the WALKING DEAD in any crisis they will be the first to perish.... it is so sad where this country has gone....I too can hear the swirling water.....

on the other side of that...more people are awake because of social media sites. people who would have never looked further than mainstream media now get bombarded by little bits of truth from friends who are aware of the situation. I post links to our page that show up on the pages of hundreds of my "friends", and every time a comment is added it gets bumped to the top. as much as I dislike all the idiotic pictures of dancing cats and gossip about celebrities, this medium is very important.

You 'all didn't really think the dead would come to life , did you ? Its always been about the brain dead  POLITICIANS, not the undead . <dontknow>

Sorry SS, I really mean this - I had to fix that for ya, brother.  Felt the need to set the record straight, man...  <lmao>

"He always carried it [the rifle] everywhere he went,” Anthony Parham said. "He always carried it at low, ready. He didn't have it in a case -- it was out." Parham said he didn’t think Mahdinec was dangerous and often saw Mahdinec playing with a child outside.

-- Police: Man fires assault rifle in fit of road rage - WSOC TV - May 15, 2014
http://www.wsoctv.com/news/news/local/police-loaded-rifle-found-car-after-road-rage-inci/nfxPk/

I don't believe that my rights should be curtailed because some in society cannot be trusted to think or act correctly with their rights. Never in my 40 years of carrying guns have I needed to be told how to act responsibly with them. I live in the people's republic of NY (because the Army decided I needed to live in Hell for a while) and this POS state is horrible with its gun laws, taxes and general Nanny behavior.

Saw a funny title on Drudge today....said something like only 4% of Americans think that they have below average intelligence. There is plenty of brain dead out there to go around already.

By proper definition, 50% of the US population has IQ less than 100. 

Sobering eh?