• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Is the 'open carry' movement going too far?

If open-carry people help them reach their weekly volume and profit goals, it's gonna be hard for Chipotle and Starbucks to turn that business away.

Shewt. Here I am in Iowa, and as far as I can tell, there is no militia at all. I've explained our legal situation in another thread somewhere. But heck, it sure would be fun to get together for a bring-your-favorite-rifle breakfast somewhere.

Sheesh. You know, a guy could look forward to that as innocent fun if it weren't for all the crazy politics going on, and maybe the CCW guy who just got his license online and, not being required to understand the rules of engagement, simply busts his caps on the guys with rifles, while thinking he's a righteous hero. And if I didn't get shot by a wannabe hero, I'd get busted for 'brandishing' and 'disturbing the peace' by a cop who wanted to be a hero.

Was there a day, back in 'the day', when people could have innocent fun?

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Example as OCing as a deterrant...

About a year ago or so I was at a friends body shop in Mid City New Orleans.  We were looking at my truck that he was painting for me around 9pm one night in the lot.  While we were talking a guy snuck up on us and we heard the rocks when he got too close for comfort. (about 6 foot away from us without announcing his presence)  I spun around on him and his eyes immediately fixated on the stainless ruger I had on my hip with my hand on the holster strap. He floundered for a second trying to say hello, asked if what I had was a .357, and asked for a cigarette and left.  From his demeanor and how he acted when "sneaking up" on us I could tell as well as my friend could tell he was up to no good and most likely about to try and rob us.  

Sometimes OC can be a deterrent. 

Yes, perhaps in some instances it can be.  It is just not a calculation I personally factor into my personal defense.  I don't like violent people knowing I am the first one they need to shoot in order to get what they want.

BTW.  I am glad that worked out for you guys.  I love the stories in the front of the NRA magazines about armed citizens.

Edited by StainTrain

Open carry does not relieve you of your obligation to be situationally aware. Just as CC does not always give you a tactical advantage.  Criminals know people in CC states may have a gun on them, therefore they try to pick the ones that look like an easy target or victim. If you are not aware of the situation around you then you might just be that victim. The thugs playing the knock out game tend to pick people who are not paying attention then they strike. A CC weapon is not going to give you any advantage in this senareo. It may give you the ability to fight back after an unsucessful first attempt by the predator but other than that nota.  

In either case having a weapon is not the be all and end all of protection and advantage. You must use your brain and your senses in conjunction with the weapon otherwise you might as well be unarmed.

Open carry does not relieve you of your obligation to be situationally aware. Just as CC does not always give you a tactical advantage.  Criminals know people in CC states may have a gun on them, therefore they try to pick the ones that look like an easy target or victim. If you are not aware of the situation around you then you might just be that victim. The thugs playing the knock out game tend to pick people who are not paying attention then they strike. A CC weapon is not going to give you any advantage in this senareo. It may give you the ability to fight back after an unsucessful first attempt by the predator but other than that nota.  

In either case having a weapon is not the be all and end all of protection and advantage. You must use your brain and your senses in conjunction with the weapon otherwise you might as well be unarmed.

Very nice.

Open, Concealed - I do both.  It's 100% of the time when I'm outside my home (very, very few instances when it won't go in somewhere with me).  Inside the home, something is always close by.

One thing to always live by, and this is just an example - I'm right handed, and a pistol is on my right hip.  When out and about, how do you act, what do you do?  In public, I never carry anything in my right hand, never reach for anything with my right hand, never have my right arm up or outstretched from my body.  My right arm is always "covering the gun."  I don't have it locked to my side, like I'm crippled or anything, but my arm will be in the way of someone else and my pistol.  100% of the time, I make sure there's nothing that will "get in the way," hinder, or slow down access to that pistol.  

Something to think about next time you're out, and carrying - open or concealed.  Next time you reach for a can of peas on the supermarket shelf, and you use your gun-shootin' hand, you'll be thinking about me...  <lmao> 

I feel that whenever anyone conceals, this should be something that they consider. We all, in my opinion, have the responsibility and duty to carry, and if you carry, you have the responsibility to carry... responsibly.

When choosing a firearm, someone said pack as much gun as you can afford (not financially, but as much as you can conceal), and that you need to tailor your lifestyle to carrying, not tailor your gun to your lifestyle.

So can I wear swim trunks on the random steamy kentucky day (every summer day :/)? No, not really. But that is ok, especially if makes the different of life and limb for me or my wife.

The wife doesn't get it, but it is my responsibility over us, not hers. And it is also my responsiblity to get her head in the right place.

So, carry the right firearm for the right situation, not wardrobe, and carry responsibly. Do not become complacent. Look for your next point of cover. If there is none, concealment. High speed avenues of approach and retreat. And keep your shooting hand ready.

Its just like keeping loaded guns around your children. It is your responsibility, you make sure it works out right. You have taken responsibility for your own well being because you aren't a brainless zombie that wants the Govt to do it for you, and carrying responsibly means more than just having the gun with you.

Having been in the pawn business for the last 27 or so years, I have open carried every single day at work.

Locally, only unarmed pawn shops are robbed, so I firmly believe open carry is a deterrent in this instance.

In accordance with Florida law I concealed carry almost every where else I go, leaving the firearm behind only where carry is punishable by law.

I was looking at some pics from the chipotle event. wow. so glad I'm being lumped in with that crowed by the militant antis.

We all, in my opinion, have the responsibility and duty to carry, and if you carry, you have the responsibility to carry... responsibly.

I can agree with this.  Reactions to them carrying may have be more defensible if they were carrying in a transport slung position on their backs, rather than a "combat ready" slung position.

Stock in Chipotle trades on the New York Stock Exchange, so this is big news for investors. Gun owners, maybe not so much. But all of this makes Chipotle's request to not carry in their places of business very newsworthy. This is getting big. Below is an assortment of media responses regarding open carry at their restaurants.

As usual, the libtard press is putting in for overtime on this newsbit.

Here's a random quote:

But why? Isn't the Constitution pretty open-and-shut on carrying gas-powered semiauto magazine-fed rifles into hormone-free fast-food chains? Answer me this, communist moms who hate extra freedom sauce on your quesadillas: What part of that concept did the founding fathers not foresee?

I like having my burrito without the assault rifle - Montgomery Advertiser - May 21, 2014

Jon Stewart hammers Texas Chipotle wingnuts: No one thinks you’re ‘a good guy’ with a gun - Raw Story - May 21, 2014

Chipotle’s Got a Gun Control Problem. Here’s What They’re Doing to Fix It. - Ryot - May 20, 2014

Why Does Chipotle Hate Freedom? - Gawker - May 20, 2014

Chipotle Asks Customers to Leave Guns at Home - The Daily Meal - May 21, 2014

Edit: fixing fonts. For some reason that part of something went nuts on me.

Edited by gnatshooter

never reach for anything with my right hand, never have my right arm up or outstretched from my body.  My right arm is always "covering the gun."

Next time you reach for a can of peas on the supermarket shelf, and you use your gun-shootin' hand, you'll be thinking about me...  <lmao>

BULLSHYT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tom leaves his gun wide open for a grab when he gives a pants down hug. I've seen it! <laughs> <lmao>

Edited by 392heminut

My right arm is always "covering the gun."

That's supposed to be one of the 'tells' when you're trying to spot someone doing concealed carry.

And as I said, I don't have it locked to my side, like I'm crippled or anything.  Normal movement, not crammed into my side.  I don't reach up on a shelf with that hand, either.  I just don't give the chance for access to my right side.  Doesn't mean I won't shake someone's hand in public.  Not at all. 

There's a difference, brother. 

My right arm is always "covering the gun."

That's supposed to be one of the 'tells' when you're trying to spot someone doing concealed carry.

Self-admission from you, too - you're brand new to concealed carry.  Congrats on paying attention in class, to what the instructors told you. 

I also open carry, like I stated. I'm probably 50/50 on open and concealed. It's all situational, and has everything to do with surroundings.  I'm MUCH more cognizant of "gun-protection" in my open-carry practices than I am of my concealed carry practices.  When I'm concealed, no matter what I choose to wear, I dress to the gun.  You'd never be able to see or tell that I'm carrying a 5" 1911, a 5" double-stack 1911, a 4" 1911, or a 4" XD45, or a 3" 1911, or an XDs45. 

beach, it just takes time, brother.  They'll reproduce on their own if you give them enough time.  Before you know it, you'll have more in your safe than you ever remember purchasing...  <lmao>

My "Stack Of Kimbers:"

000_0012.jpg