• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

The DoD is looking for a new pistol

BLKSHEEP

Well they made the HK45 for that reason and then the plug was pulled. One of the best 45s on the planet.... don't care what I sound like. But the M9 is not going anywhere. the plug was pulled and the government doubled down a bigger contract. Next.

at the risk of sounding like a fan boy...

The Sig P226 is a proven war tool. Quality, Reliability, Durability and Capacity.

The new P227 or the P320 would both be more viable options

+1 on the P227, especially if 45ACP is the direction they are going....

Y not the FN 45?  Great gun chambered in 45 and has a 15 round capacity....what else could you want?

Something not a 2x4?

I really like FN, and checked those out, but just didn't get it. A XD45 feels like you only have 10 rounds when you have 13. The FN feels exactly like you have 15. It's a brick. And 15 rounds of 45 is great... until you have to carry it. Nothing is free.

I like the fact HK went the other direction. And I have large hands. Great grip that feels like a 1911 but has 10 rounds. If you need 15 rounds, then you need a 9.

I don't know where the story came from that is floating around. I don't see it happening. No pistol is good with ball ammo. It's a secondary weapon. Why waste the money for a new platform when all you are going to shoot is ball?

Take a close look at the Detonics, and look back over their history. No matter how you dress it up, and add window dressing, a 1911 is still a 1911. Thank you John Browning.

It's just a "new" Kimber BP 10... and we saw how well that went.

I'm holding out to see if the Sig P320 will be a higher capacity than 10. The FNX45 seems like a great choice, but I'm a little iffy about the reputation. I want a HIGH capacity handgun. I heard there is a +3 or +4 mag coming for the FNX45...

I don't have NATO ammo restrictions, so if all else fails I'll be back to the idea of a P226 9mm with its 20rd mags.

HP's were taken out because MD's couldn't repair the wounds. They said HP wounds caused too much mayhem, not necessarily designed to kill.

I think RoW's are BS. The enemy doesn't care and blows off the arms and legs of our soldiers on a regular basis. If we didn't have RoW's we would've ended a lot of conflicts a Loooooong time ago. Chemical, biological and germ warfare are all off the table thanks to soft bleeding hearts who don't understand why we go to war.

Ball ammo is dictated by the Hauge.Hollow points aren't allowed for warfare is my understanding.Correct me if I'm wrong.

I know that. that's my point. As long as we are stuck with ball ammo... there is no point leaving the 9..... unless you want to get serious and look at the 4.6 or 5.7.

HP's were taken out because MD's couldn't repair the wounds. They said HP wounds caused too much mayhem, not necessarily designed to kill.

I think RoW's are BS. The enemy doesn't care and blows off the arms and legs of our soldiers on a regular basis. If we didn't have RoW's we would've ended a lot of conflicts a Loooooong time ago. Chemical, biological and germ warfare are all off the table thanks to soft bleeding hearts who don't understand why we go to war.

Well there is that... and the fact a wounded soldier takes way more of an enemies resources. Getting him off the battlefield, gas, doctors, medical supplies... ect. 

It's just a "new" Kimber BP 10... and we saw how well that went.

I've got a Kimber BP Ten II.  Great double-stack 1911, IMHO.  Love that pistol.  Despite all the $hit I give Jon about him forcing me to buy my first polymer pistol, as the XD45, that BP Ten II is the first polymer pistol I ever had, back in 2004. 

Ballistics are ballistics, and that's all there is to it.  The Geneva/Hague Convention along with the Law Of Land Warfare is what governs "legal ammunition" for combat.  That only goes so far, though. We run different ammo now, in the modern age of combat, and that is in accordance with Geneva/Hague and the Law of Land Warfare.  Fukc, I had full mags of Mk262 for my M4 on an Afghani-Land deployment in late 2003. Those are OTM - "Open Tip Match" - not "hollow-points."  That is in accordance with G/H and the LoLW.  5.56 optimized brown tip ammo is legal - that's Barnes 70gr TSX ammo.  SOST is legal, also called OTMRP - that's Mk318 Barrier Blind Ammo.

There's a bunch of new $hit out there that's combat-legal, and it doesn't have to be ball ammunition.  The .45 ACP with a modern application of the G/H and LoLW can be a bad motherfucker.  And it will be.

A hell of alot more badass than the same legal cartridge in 9mm, .40, or .357/.357 Sig.  We on't need to be shooting people with rifle cartridges out of a pistol - like the 5.7.  Modern, legal, pistol ammo will do just fine out of a pistol.  You don't use a pistol as your primary combat weapon anymore.  It's a backup.  When you need your backup, it needs to park motherfuckers on the curb forever - not just wound them.  T-Zone and CNS is what you need to fall back on, but you need a dependable, combat-legal cartridge that will do it, too, even if you're "outside the margin" a little.  Modern ammo gives you that leeway. 

You guys are debating modern combat munitions - without being in modern combat.  I hate to say it, but LE is not modern combat, as much as LE duty is fighting-for-you-life at times. 

That's my 2 fukkin cents on it.  You bastards are interrupting my manufacture of 300BLK casings.

• 4 weeks later...

While in search of my next high cap .45 I reread the Detonics MTX and STX. I'm becoming more and more a fan of the concept. Especially learning that they use the already available STi mags.

My dept doesn't allow "cocked and locked" for duty, but it's okay for CCW. I'm thinking (since you can just swap slides) that this may be a perfect modular piece for me. One frame and two slides; one 4.25" striker fired (STX) for duty, and one 3.5" single action (MTX-H) for CCW.

I know I wasn't a big fan in the beginning, but the more I read the more I'm interested.

PS. I haven't completely ruled out other options yet either.

FNX45; max capacity, but it's full size limits my carry options and it uses polymer parts that I've seen fail firsthand.

Sig P227; A perfect design in the P220 with a new hi-cap frame, but they outsource their 14rd mags to MecGar.

Sig P320; sounds good on paper. Still more rumor and mystery than reality.