• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Traded my glock

BigP623

Well i got an offer i couldnt pass up. Guy on facebook gun swap page was looking for a glock and had a 70s made Colt gold cup national match 1911 he was looking to get rid of. Long story short I traded him my glock 9mm + 100 bucks and walked away with this beauty. Feeling pretty stoked personally.

It is a very good shape. Little surface rust here and there from being stored dry but nothing i cant take care of. All in all i think it was a great trade.

post-13269-0-50224200-1410697358_thumb.j

Edited by BigP623

Only thing i didnt like was the weird looking sight rail thats on top of the pistol but im not messing with it too much, it will be a safe queen most likely. I may send it back to colt to get factory refinished so it will be like brand new first.

You can grab another Colt slide for less than $300, and still be ahead of the trade. That ribbed slide is for the target shooting crowd, and can be a bitch to find a fitting holster. 

I was going to say something about that raised rail . The gold cup slide has a flat rib from sight to sight & they probably drilled the slide for threaded holes . Too bad , just the GC is worth it , I have been looking for just a 70 series 1911, finding a GC that someone is willing to part with is hard to come by.

70 series GC slide for $ 300, really ?

Edited by survivalshop

That was a great trade! With that rib on top I'm guessing that at one time or another it probably belonged to a PPC shooter. If I were you I would sit on that for a while and keep an eye out for a good deal on a stock Gold Cup slide.

Here's one on gunbroker pretty cheap that is modified for the .38 AMU cartridge. A good machinist could easily open the breechface for 45 ACP.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=441302929

Here's one on gunbroker pretty cheap that is modified for the .38 AMU cartridge. A good machinist could easily open the breechface for 45 ACP.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=441302929

I saw that auction and didn't understand... What modification is done to the slide to shoot .38 AMU? Can it be undone??

I saw that auction and didn't understand... What modification is done to the slide to shoot .38 AMU? Can it be undone??

Rob, I'm not real familiar with the .38 AMU but it seems to be either a rimless or semi-rimmed version of a 38 Special. Either way it has a smaller base diameter than a 45 ACP so I'm guessing the breachface of the slide was welded up and recut for the .38 AMU base.

The rib is a BOMAR, not robar.   and a slide from a 38 super works for the 38MU  ctg.

That rib cost around $100 in 1980, plus instalition.  Several ways to install the rib, to inhance accuracy.

Also, befor shooting with ball, or especially +p, you need to replace the recoil spring with a new "standard" 17# spring or higher.   the Gold Cup used a lighter spring for target loads.

Also, disamble the slide and frame, and check the slide for locking lug wear, from shooting hot loads in it!

Respectfully

Terry

The 38AMU is a semi-rimless ctg developed for target usage.   Basicly, its a 38 with most of the rim cut off.   uses a different breach face, and mag than the 45ACP.  Supposed to headspace on the case mouth, not the rim.

A slide and mag from a 38 super can be used, along with the 38AMU bbl.

Respectfully

Terry