• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Why I am not a fan of open carry

I agree. I carry concealed all the time. I'm my opinion I just don't want anyone knowing I'm carrying!

This works for me. I don't like to be noticed, It is bad enough to be over 6ft and 255 lbs. I like to be able to say. "Suprise, Surprise!" Specially because my usual carry in familiar places is a.380 peashooter or a 9mm. I save the 1911 or the 357 for risky places. I figure a 380 in a pants pocket is better than a bar of soap in an sock or ah roll of quarters

Most criminals are opportunists. Very little fore thought, just act when the opportunity arises.

If given the opportunity to snatch your carry piece many may take that opportunity.

If you open carry you must remain at a higher state of alert.

I do open carry at work and the thought of an attempted snatch is constantly in mind when I'm forced to turn my back on one of the myriad of street thugs that wanders into the shop.

I do both and CC is just plain easier.

Edited by Microgunner

I may be unpopular for saying this but, I've had negative experiences with the open carry as a uniformed officer. You have those who try to bait law enforcement into a confrontation while,"exercising their rights".  Well, some one some where thought it was an issue for what ever reason and called us. We have figure out whats going on and we get the government goons are here to take away my guns and rights yadda yadda and we end up receiving the attitude. All were trying to do is make sure it's not some screw job being stupid. Most people don't think about gun grabs. My duty holster is designed to withstand someone pulling / yanking on it combined with a required series or number of  retention steps that I have to complete to pull it. That piece of crab FOBUS / Kydex stuff or nylon Wal-Mart special not so much. Criminals train to take guns away from trained officers, what do you think they will do to you? We are trained in, " weapon retention techniques" used in conjunction with retention holsters, are you? Also how many of us use our weapon hand to grab something off of the shelf no thinking and opening yourself up for gun grab? Trust me a chemically co-dependent person do some crazy schit to get money for their next fix. Finally the active shooter, you just minimized your usefulness because most people's spatial awareness SUCKS and the bad guy has the jump on you, sees your open carry and now you just became his immediate threat and you no longer have the element of surprise. You being able to navigate and get cover / concealment and engage him / her has greatly diminished because  they want to take you out first because they know you are a threat to them. While the guy who was carrying  concealed lets you be the bait and shoots them. Don't forget people ambush uniformed officers in coffee shops, restaurants and even in cop cars now a days, do you want to be mistaken for an off duty cop? Just a few things to think about.

Edited by Zebra644

Also how many of us use our weapon hand to grab something off of the shelf no thinking and opening yourself up for gun grab?

I've talked about this very thing here.  This very thing.  The "expert" that I was addressing here in that conversation felt the need to state that he just finished his concealed carry class, and his instructor advised them this was one of the "tells" that someone was carrying.  No fucking $hit - the "tell" should be the visible sidearm on my hip, that fucking dumbass... 

What you do open carry must be different than what you do concealed carry - but alot of the two mentalities cross over to each other.  You benefit from both, if you practice and do both.

If you open carry, you need to be aware of this.  I open carry often. 

MG nailed it with this statement:

If you open carry you must remain at a higher state of alert.

Head on a swivel.  You need to have your head on a swivel, even if you're NOT carrying a firearm.  I'm just sayin'...

Edited by 98Z5V