• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Why I am not a fan of open carry

Man openly carrying new gun in Gresham robbed by armed man

http://www.kptv.com/story/26729956/man-openly-carrying-new-gun-in-gresham-robbed-by-armed-man

I am not against open carry.  I just don't think it makes sense for me.  I prefer to keep mine concealed.

It seems like it would make you a target to those wanting to do harm, ie., "We're going to rob 7-11.  That guy has a gun showing.  We need to kill and disarm him first."  I have been wrong before and could be wrong here.  But I was never in the military or law enforcement and am always willing to learn.

The kid (21) in the article was young and apparently not ready for the responsibilities of carrying a firearm in public.

You have all reaffirmed my beliefs.  I still wouldn't open carry even if it was legal in TX.  And most people with a firearm don't know how to use it well enough to do any good.  I would likely include myself in that category to some degree.  I shoot as often as possible, but I don't train for those situations like I should. 

On the original topic, situational awareness is critical no matter how you carry. Taking things for granted and not paying attention in the moment are the leading root causes of untimely deaths IMO. Keep your head on a swivel and learn to read people and read situations as they unfold. Let your guard down for even a moment and it could cost your life.

On the original topic, situational awareness is critical no matter how you carry. Taking things for granted and not paying attention in the moment are the leading root causes of untimely deaths IMO. Keep your head on a swivel and learn to read people and read situations as they unfold. Let your guard down for even a moment and it could cost your life.

Yes,and since I have more empathy for animals than people I would have no problem bustin a cap in a motherfuker that would want to take my life or threathen my family.

I just wish more people would carry their damn handguns.....period.  Instead of handing out free healthcare, we should hand out free combat handgun training to law abiding citizens.  I suspect the latter would have a more positive overall impact on quality of life in the United States. 

No doubt about that. How many so-called 'bad-asses' would think twice about holding up a convenience store or shooting up a classroom if they knew every adult in the place was armed, ready, and able to take their butts out?