• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Questions about Calibers

Cooper

Hi, new guy here from the deep south. Would someone help me with some questions? 

Until recently I had no interest in an AR 10.  I have AR 15's and I figured they would do up close and my 308 sniper would take care of long range.  Recently I decided it was time to do a AR 10 build.  Now I am confused.  I know AR 15 lowers are marked .223/5.56 and will shoot either civilian or nato rounds. When the SHTF nato rounds will be easier to find.  I am not seeing that as I look for AR 10 lowers.  How do I know a lower will shoot 308/7.62?

I also see terms used, almost as if they were interchangeble, LR 308 and AR 308 . What is the difference?

Thanks in advance.

Cooper

The marking on the receiver means nothing. It's just cosmetics. I really wish they'd do away with the markings all together.

The barrel stamp is what counts. Back in the day, .308 ammo was more powerful than its NATO 7.62x51 cousin. So back then, you wanted the .308 stamped barrel. I honestly don't know anyone who makes a 7.62 stamped barrel (maybe Noveske?)

As for the names... We say 308AR as a generic term. The name AR10 is owned by Armalite and LR-308 is owned by DPMS. Every company has their own designation. We usually frown on people using specific names as generic terms. It'd be like someone calling all vehicles a Corvette, despite their own name. It just doesn't make sense to us.

Thank you for the info.  So if the Barrel is marked 308 is should shoot the 7.62.  I understand that is a small difference in size and the headspace is a fraction longer, but those two things out of the way it should shoot it.  I am just thinking ahead and trying to get ready for about 2 years.

308/7.62x51 , should work in any of the newer 308 or 7.62x51 rifle barrels .

You also need to know there are at least two major configurations of 308AR's , Armalite  ( AR 10 ) is sloped at the back of the receivers where the two meet & DPMS style is rounded , just like a bigger AR 15 .

Keep with one or the others as far as parts & the build should go smoothly .

Edited by survivalshop

At least four types of 308 AR's :

Alpha - FN

Beta - AR10 Armalite

VHS - LR308 DPMS

Delta - Bullpup (M1A1 or strecthed M17s)

Soviet - Saiga 308

Those last two aren't ARs.  Hell, the first one isn't either... 

You forgot RRA/Bushmaster BAR-10 design. 

I'll be here all night.  Enjoy yourself, but remember to tip your server...  :banana:

I'll be here all night.  Enjoy yourself, but remember to tip your server...  :banana:

Hey...at least his guide is more accurate than that Reporter's Guide To Assault Weapons.

The Glock Guide is just a bonus.

post-12390-0-94724100-1413198018_thumb.j

I forgot the M14 ! The Scar 17s are a nice tool used by a couple of armies.

I didn't include the RRA because its a Dodge with a German engine init !