• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Elk 2014 in the books

Magwa

At 64 now the hills are steeper than ever before, but I managed to be in the right place at the right time and the powers that be shined on me once more.... I had a great hunt and took a chance and reversed my way of hunting a little area I know of . when I headed down the hill I have a chance to glass about 1/2 mile further down in a open hillside and low and behold there were elk there, I did not see any bulls but had to take the chance and put the boogie on down the mountain.

I am commited now, got down where I was about even with them and ranged them at a little over 460 yards a bit far for me so I put the injun on for another 150 yards, things are getting tight now I have to stay quiet so I shed my pack, and take my binos, range finder and trusty AR10 and belly crawl about 20 yards onto a small rock ledge.

Looking accross all I see are cows and calfs, then I heard a bugle I searched the hill and down towards the bottom I saw a spike just right for table fare..... I ranged him at 326 but he was heading into the brush BUT! then he turned and walked uphill about 20 yards and turned broadside I opened the bipod and got snugged in... placed the third mill dot just behind his shoulder about half way down from his spine and put a good squeeze on the trigger....... he was rolling down the hill before I could get back on the scope...he rolled about 100 yards and came to rest where you see him in the picture sorry it is a lousy pic just a phone pic I do not carry any thing more than I have to ...official distance for the shot 304 barnes TTSX I recoverd the bullet on the other shoulder and it weighs 165.9 not to shabby.... for a old fart... thanks for listening.... :)

Elk2014_zps1f81b4bb.jpg

Nice shot Magwa, I'm starting to prep for deer season now can't wait to get back to the woods again. Just out of curiosity how did you know what holdover to use did you chronograph your loads before hand?

I went out to my class 3 dealer he has a range up to 1100 yards and I shot the gun zeroed at 100 that is the crosshair, 200 is 5 inches low with crosshair the next milldot shoots about 6 inches high at 200 so for me I am ok with hold a little high at 200 the next mildot is dead on at 300 and the next is 3 inches low at 400 so i copied all the dope and made a card and velcrowed it to the bottom of my 10 rd mag so I ranged him at 304 after he moved up the hill looked at my dope skipped the second mill dot and put the second one on him and gave it a good slow sqeeze...  folks that is like the tenth elk I have shot with barnes bullets they are devastating on game.....

By the way , thanks to all of you in a good way you helped my on the hunt I would not have the gun setup like it is with out all your help and I am really getting attached to this DPMS it is a shooter...

Ok the rest of the story their is a old wagon road just a 2 track about 65 yards on down the hill so my buddy unloaded the 4 wheeler out of my jeep pickup and brought it down so I drove it as far up the creek as I could then we drug the spike about 15 yards to the creek I took all my winch line and hooked him up and winched him to the bike then turned around and drug him to the road where we worked him up ,loaded him on the 4 wheeler all quarted up and drove him and my buddy back to the jeep then made a second trip back for all the packs and stuff get old work smart when you can... ahhhhhhh my back feels good not having to pack him a mile up hill....

Edited by Magwa

• 1 month later...