• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New to the black rifle world and grateful I found this page.

CASEYPM

I've started on my first build a few months ago knowing nothing of AR-10's besides helping friends build their AR-15's and figured it would be just as simple as ordering whatever parts were on sale from different companies when I had the cash..... I was wrong! I started with my proprietary nightmare by buying a P-TAC TAC-10 lower from PSA that was on sale for $75.00 and got the LPK, Buffer tube, stock, upper with FA and dust cover. Unfortunately I started reading up on PSA and P-TAC  after I have made my purchases in haste because of the low prices... Read reviews on their site that were less than satisfactory, but still hoping for the best. I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm a budget builder. This project was mainly a compromise with the wife. I wanted a sweet bolt gun for hunting and a sweet AR-15. I was told to pick one, so I hit two birds with one stone. Semi auto rifle to have fun at the range with and has enough knock down power for medium to large game. I'm at a standstill on ordering parts due to a lot of things coming up all at once and started wondering if other brand barrels and BCG are compatible with PSA upper. PSA stated in an email to me regarding the issue "We can only guarantee that our lower/upper receivers will be compatible with our .308 parts and build kits" I've heard that all barrels and BCG's for 308 AR's are interchangeable except for the barrel nut, I've heard that only BCG's of the same company as the upper will fit....I've heard that I was insane for attempting to build my 308 AR from different companies.  I'm just trying to find the best deal out there but PSA has me scared now to use any other brand, which is stupid because I'm sure they manufacture very little from scratch and get their goods from suppliers to stamp their name on it. So if anyone knows the answer to my barrel and BCG dilemma, I'd be very grateful. Thanks in advance, -Casey.

I've heard that all barrels and BCG's for 308 AR's are interchangeable except for the barrel nut,...

I'll just start with the first "I've heard" that you mentioned.  That's not true, no matter what you've heard, where ever you heard that from.

Too difficult to get into it all in an Intro thread, man.  Search here, research data, and ask questions in the tech threads.  The Search and Research are the two most important things.

Welcome aboard.  Everything will get straightened out, but maybe not before you buy some parts that won't work with your build.  Ask specifics first.

Welcome from AZ.

Use the search engine.

Read as much as you can before asking questions. Some one has already been down your road so look for a thread that is similar. Ask the 1uestions before you buy if you are not sure. Someone will step up to help.

Thanks guys. I've found a majority of my unanswered questions. Been doing research on what manufacturers make parts for companies that slap their name on it. I found that Anderson makes the chrome Molly barrels for PSA and FN USA makes the stainless and chrome lined barrels for them. Which is awesome because their prices are about 25% less than PSA. Been reading threads regarding headspacing and worried that I'll have a problem. But many have said that as long as what I get for my PA-10 says "dpms compatible" or "LR308 compatible" I should be fine. Got my upper and free float in the mail the other day and getting excited because it's actually starting to look like a gun now.

Been reading threads regarding headspacing and worried that I'll have a problem. But many have said that as long as what I get for my PA-10 says "dpms compatible" or "LR308 compatible" I should be fine.

I'd like to know where you read that at.  You better get your headspace checked.  Either buy gauges, or take it to a gunsmith that can check it.

And start a tech thread already.  Your intro thread is not where tech info goes.  You're only fucking yourself here, for the very reason I stated before.  :bitchslap:

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the forum from Washington. Good luck on your build. I'd listen to what a few people have said about ensuring your parts are compatible. Since there is no TDP to follow we are still in the midst of many players joining the party with slightly different variations which can cause a bit of angst.