• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

muzzle device affect on accuracy

Looking at different brakes for new rifle. I 'd like to hear real world experiences if you've found any differences in the accuracy of a rifle with one break or another.???  how about porting vs. thread on?? Or is it best just to leave it plain flat muzzle...??  I like to see hits through scope, it's not a recoil shy thing ..I save that for the Rem Ultra Mag....One manufacturer claims no difference, another says may change point of impact but not grouping....Rather hear field reports from user...

I don't have field data, but I do know that when you have a barrel ported, the bore needs to be relieved from just behind the ports to the end of the bore to keep the bullet from being destabilized by the intersection of the ports & the bore. With a threaded muzzle device, most are already relieved.

My .02 on the topic,  <thumbsup>  <dontknow>

i live in a state that requires a pinned device, and i have no exp with changing them to experiment with what different brakes can do for a rifle, both of mine have them. my larue has the surefire qd brake (even though i can't have a can, i can dream can't i?) and my pws has their fsc 30. i can keep my larue on target at lower magnifications with my leupold mk4, but as soon as i crank up the power on the scope, i lose target hold during the shot briefly, which could be me more than anything. on the pws with iron i never lose target acquisition, but again, thats not looking through glass at 14 power. hope it helps.

I [literally] just swapped out my SF 762 brake for an AAC 762 SD blackout FH.

I'll try to get it out to the Range this weekend for a night shoot and see about videoing the AAC flash.

That'll probably be tough to video the "lack of flash..."  <laughs>

That will be a cool vid, man.  <thumbsup>

There's my little dilemma. It has to be pinned, welded before it goes together  to be legal.. don’t want to sacrifice accuracy for a little muzzle jump.Short of lopping off end of barrel it's a permanent fixture afterwards . Not to mention the wasted time and $100+. Looking at PWS brake mostly....Williams Gunsights has new one for AR 's but haven't found any reviews on it..

• 10 months later...

Does anyone have experience(or know) with BABC beyond 700yards? Lets say, compared to like FSC30?

i was told that once the bullet leaves the barrel, a muzzle device has no effect to its accuracy or the distance a bullet can travel other than muzzle device helps controlling recoil and target acquisition

Battlecomp has stated that their product was not designed to affect the accuracy of a rifle. It's sole function was to control muzzle rise on full auto guns and reduce the time between follow-up shots on semi auto.

They even went so far as to say that while they do not expect that a Battlecomp device will negatively affect your accuracy, if your intention was to make your rifle more accurate, they would rather you send your comp back for a full refund than give them negative reviews.

Personally, I love the Battlecomp performance. It is 100% focused for the combat and competative shooters. If sub MOA long distance is your thing, shop for parts designed for that.

I know several big bore competitors who shoot Camp Perry every year.  Some of them use "bloop tubes"  that is,,,,,,barrel extensions that change the harmonics of the bbl.  Several use them to increase sight radius, and several to "tune" the barrel.

Then,again, Browning has the  "The Boss" that a lot of people swear by.  Others swear at it,,LOL!!

So, yes, it would seem that sticking things on the end of the bbl can change things.

Just facts, from the "real" world.

respectfully

Terry

I can't see any muzzle device affecting accuracy. It could change poi, however unless it was constantly changing between shots the accuracy would not be affected.

I was told by a couple of different gunsmiths ,that putting an 11 degree campher on the muzzle of the barrel will effect the accuracy a lot more than any muzzle device that will be installed on the end of the barrel.

bullpoopy!

The angle or shape of the crown has absolutely NO effect on the bullet.

As long as the crown is square to the bore,,,,nothing else matters.

The Army tested crowns in depth, including high speed photos, ans found NO effect on the bullet.

The Army found that the gases exited the muzzle at 11* no matter what the crown looked like.

Respectfully

Terry

Just an observation here, but if muzzle shape/device had that much effect on the bullet, POI, energy, etc., I'm pretty sure the military wouldn't be using anything on muzzles of their sniper weapons.  A few months ago, a young man recorded the longest confirmed kill EVER.  And he did it twice in a matter of 5 minutes.

Either that, or the effect is so slight, it's not worth the detrimental effects of not using a muzzle device.  Needless to say, I'm thinking none of us will ever make an important enough shot to eclipse a live save shot like the young soldier did in Afghanistan.

There is a point at which you can worry too much about the small stuff that no one else worries about.  Yes?

bullpoopy!

The angle or shape of the crown has absolutely NO effect on the bullet.

As long as the crown is square to the bore,,,,nothing else matters.

The Army tested crowns in depth, including high speed photos, ans found NO effect on the bullet.

The Army found that the gases exited the muzzle at 11* no matter what the crown looked like.

Respectfully

Terry

So...The 11 degree campher is just hype ???

And the extra coin I spent on the last six barrels is just an unnessary procedure.

Hate to think that I wasted money on match barrels and didn't get everything out of the build.

Mike, the 11* crown is as good as any,it's just not any better.

you have to have some type of crown, on tgt rifles I do put 11*, but on hunting rifles, and sd( self defence)  guns I put a crown that protects the muzzle better. Either a rounded "traditional" crown, or a recessed "flat" crown.

Respectfully

Terry

Ok and now back to the original question...I'm a big fan of the PRI brakes {have 3}.

Now to stir the pot a little, Bought a Levang linear comp as an Xmas present to myself and used it yesterday. Im pleased ,it throws flames and directs the blast downstream !

I wanted a Noveske KX3 the flaming pig brake but it was never in stock when I had money. I also have been looking at the Black Hole Weaponery Dragon's Head muzzle.

post-851-136297272715_thumb.jpg

post-851-13629727272_thumb.jpg

post-851-136297272726_thumb.jpg

post-851-136297272727_thumb.jpg