• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Olympic Arms demise

I read on another forum about Olympic Arms closing. While they never made a 308AR, I think they were the first to make non proprietary AR15 receivers. They ran into some bad press a few years ago for some defects I believe were attributed to forging flaws(can't really remember). They fixed the problem, but never regained traction in the AR market. I have an old Olympic Arms Plinker Plus AR carbine from them that is my experiment rifle that I use to learn. Picked it up for $485 new.  Actually is a pretty good rifle. I replaced the carry handle receiver with a flat top, and one of these days will slap a chrome lined or stainless barrel on it. Sorry to see them go, but it is a tough, overcrowded market now, and with the Republicans in office, no AR buying crazes are on the horizon. Good for us, not so good for the manufacturers. This was sent out a few days ago.

After more than 40 years of business, it is with great sorrow that we announce that February 28th, 2017 will be the last day of operation for Olympic Arms, Inc.

The Schuetz family would like to express their heartfelt thanks to all their friends, associates, and partners that have been a part of the Olympic Arms experience. Most of all we would like to thank our loyal customers and patrons who have been with us all this time.

In the course of closing, we are announcing the following changes in policy effective immediately:

1. All sales are final.
2. No refunds or returns will be accepted after 1-25-2017.
3. All Warranty service ceases 1-25-2017. Warranty work and repairs currently in-house will be serviced and returned.
4. New orders will only be taken for inventory currently in stock, or that can be built from remaining inventory.
5. All inventory will be liquidated.
6. ALL SALES will cease at close of business 28 February, 2017

Thank you for your patronage

Edited by Sisco

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Sisco said:

My mistake I just went on their website and they had brought out a line of 308 AR's. Never heard much about them though.

http://www.olyarms.com/shop/rifles.html?cat=79

Interesting setup, the lower accepts all standard AR15 stuff (of all common AR15 calibers) and their proprietary 308 upper/magazine conversion - all on one platform, details are in their (PDF) catalog "MPR 308-15"

I've been interested in one of their 45ACP uppers for some time, may have to get one before they're gone! only down side is the  proprietary magazines needed to make it work, I wonder if their upper would work with "CNC Guns" AR45 lower with "grease Gun" magazines? Anyone with any experience with this stuff?

7 hours ago, Sisco said:

They ran into some bad press a few years ago for some defects I believe were attributed to forging flaws(can't really remember). They fixed the problem, but never regained traction in the AR market.

When the standard was forged receivers, they actualy made a line of cast receivers, and that's where the problems arose.  Air bubbles in the cast receivers caused them to crack, when beat on.  The Plinker line was all made from cast receivers to keep the cost down.  Lower cost was the whole reason for the cast receivers in the first place.

It sucks that they're closing - they made everything - everything! - in house.  No one else did that, back then.  Outsource this and that, etc. Oly made it all, themselves.

4 hours ago, guruofhotrod said:

I've been interested in one of their 45ACP uppers for some time, may have to get one before they're gone! only down side is the  proprietary magazines needed to make it work, I wonder if their upper would work with "CNC Guns" AR45 lower with "grease Gun" magazines? Anyone with any experience with this stuff?

That's exactly what my setup is.

AR45.jpg

Edited by 98Z5V

Thanks 98 for the real story. Man you know a lot! That is a sweet looking set up. I would go broke buying 45 acp if I had something like that. It does suck they are closing. They have had some good ideas in the past, all it takes sometimes is one screw up to ruin everything I guess.

When I first became a FFL in the late seventies , they were the only Manufacturer that sold components for the AR 15 , especially free float hand guards . I have two of them , one made of Aluminum & is the Barrel nut , is on one of my first builds with their 24" Ultra Match Barrel & it still shoots great . The other FF HG I have is made of Steel & is also the barrel nut , but heavy a crap & has a flaw in the Threading somehow & when tightened , its off set or not centered around the Barrel . Doesn't effect the workability of the rifle , just looks odd when looking down from the Barrel end , so I never used it .

All the ones I built back then are still working fine , because I know everyone I built one for & they would be bitching if they stopped working & are all Forged receivers , as far as I know , I don't recall seeing any cast made ones , but started using other Manufacturers Receivers later , so can't say . I started building M16 rifles soon after I became a Class Three FFL around 1978-79 , so what happened after that is what 98 may be referring to . I have two A2 Uppers in the shop & will have to dig them out for a look see & will post photo's , maybe we can see if ether is a Cast one .

Their parts were top notch , it was hard to get good surplus M16 parts back then, Sarco  was about the only one & had at the time only worn out crap . There was no internet back then so the Shotgun News was the only real source for anything , including information .

Edited by survivalshop

7 hours ago, Robocop1051 said:

Oly had a proprietary.45acp mag too. 

Tom better stock up before they're gone. 

Ppffffttt.

He'll just make more with his Harbor Freight mini-cutoff saw, a vise, and some needle nose pliers.

Edit:  Forgot to add, he'll use one of his back hairs for a mag spring.

Edited by planeflyer21

8 hours ago, Robocop1051 said:

Oly had a proprietary.45acp mag too. 

Tom better stock up before they're gone. 

If its the like the one in his photo , it looks like a Grease Gun Mag.

I may still have some Grease Gun mags that were altered to work in my Mac 10 , but would not function reliably because they were cut back a little too much , wouldn't effect how they are secured in your rifle . You can have them, if I still have them .

Edited by survivalshop

3 hours ago, survivalshop said:

If its the like the one in his photo , it looks like a Grease Gun Mag.

I may still have some Grease Gun mags that were altered to work in my Mac 10 , but would not function reliably because they were cut back a little too much , wouldn't effect how they are secured in your rifle . You can have them, if I still have them .

Hell, I'd be up for that, brother!

26 minutes ago, Robocop1051 said:

I was talking about the Oly mags.

http://www.olyarms.com/shop/parts/ar-15-parts-magazines/k45m.html

im sure the stick mags are probably better mags. The polymer Oly mags fit in pouches and stack in bags better. 

I have one, that came with the upper.  They state it's a 30-round mag, but I've only ever been able to get 18 rounds into it - it gets tough!  Since it's a single stack, and it's .45ACP, it's a pretty damn long magazine.  It's only purpose is so you can run the upper on a standard lower, without using a magblock.  I might buy one more, maybe, but it's kinda pointless since it's on the CNC Guns lower now.

I am going to contact them on Monday, and buy up all their .45 hard parts, though.  Ejector springs, bolt components, etc.

Edited by 98Z5V

1 hour ago, 98Z5V said:

I have one, that came with the upper.  They state it's a 30-round mag, but I've only ever been able to get 18 rounds into it - it gets tough!  Since it's a single stack, and it's .45ACP, it's a pretty damn long magazine.  It's only purpose is so you can run the upper on a standard lower, without using a magblock.  I might buy one more, maybe, but it's kinda pointless since it's on the CNC Guns lower now.

I am going to contact them on Monday, and buy up all their .45 hard parts, though.  Ejector springs, bolt components, etc.

I'll look for them today , I cleaned house in the Shop about two months ago & I usually never throw that kind of stuff away .

As far as loading the mag , pick up a Grease gun mag loader , relatively inexpensive .

Just now, survivalshop said:

I'll look for them today , I cleaned house in the Shop about two months ago & I usually never throw that kind of stuff away .

As far as loading the mag , pick up a Grease gun mag loader , relatively inexpensive .

Got one for the GG mags, brother - it's loading that special Oly mag that's a chore.  I'd always fight the 18th round, so just started only loading that one to 17 rounds. The GG mag loader and the GG mags is a charm.  :thumbup:

26 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Got one for the GG mags, brother - it's loading that special Oly mag that's a chore.  I'd always fight the 18th round, so just started only loading that one to 17 rounds. The GG mag loader and the GG mags is a charm.  :thumbup:

Maybe is a 17 round mag? Lol

http://www.olyarms.com/shop/k45m.html

2 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

1 hour ago, shepp said:

Think I might be ordering a .45 upper maybe pistol length. Always wanted one

Should I order anything extra with it for just in case 

i just emailed Justin at Cncguns too I hate you guys sometimes...........

6 minutes ago, shepp said:

Should I order anything extra with it for just in case 

Mags - since they're not gonna be in production anymore.  That let's you use any standard AR15 lower without anything else special.  Slap the upper on any lower, use that mag, good to go.