• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

BUIS

First Sergeant

I like to use a scope for shooting ith the 308AR, mostly. I also enjoy shooting irons. I always had BUIS under my optic in the event of failure mode. Nothing like going to the range and having an optic fail or forget a mag.

At any rate, I bought a cheapy 45 deg BUIS for the 308 just to test driveto see if I like it. Would be able to use scope or irons without removing the scope. When I do remove the scope, it holds zero okay but not great. A better quality QD mount may solve all thie issues?

Havent shot them yet. Issue I have is I hate a busy cluttered gun. I'm almost ashamed of this thing being seen. My as well duct tape an oversized swiss army knife to it while commiting blasphemy, ha ha.

Letting the other shoe drop, what are your thought's? Just curious.

For return to zero QD mounts I have had good luck with ADM. The Burris QD mount didn't work well for me, tried two, they shot loose randomly. 

Recently bought a set of Bobro BUIS, I really like using them and they are very thin, hardly notice them when folded down.

lots of info on these topics here;

https://forum.308ar.com/forum/21-optics-amp-mounts-buissights/

Edited by jtallen83

I tried 45 degree BUIS and they seemed to catch on everything. And I also did not like the cluttered gun look .Instead of a BUIS on my AR10 rifle, I went with a mini green dot sight on a 45 degree angle Picatiny mount. On my AR10T carbine, when I went with the Primary Arms 1x6 I just skipped having a BUIS. I have foldable BUIS on my AR15 rifle.

1 hour ago, Robocop1051 said:

I used to have a shiit ton of BUIS's. Then I realized I NEVER used them. Not even once. 

I don't live in a world where BUIS are applicable. I'm totally a fan of a long distance optic paired with a 45 degree red dot, to quickly transition from long to CQB range. 

I can respect that. I actually enjoy irons, looking for an easy repeatable way to have the best of optics and irons without it being like rubbing a rusty cheese grater on my back side.  ;) 

1 hour ago, Robocop1051 said:

I used to have a shiit ton of BUIS's. Then I realized I NEVER used them. Not even once. 

I don't live in a world where BUIS are applicable. I'm totally a fan of a long distance optic paired with a 45 degree red dot, to quickly transition from long to CQB range. 

Good you can site mine in come nov 

• 2 months later...

On 9/9/2017 at 5:49 PM, Robocop1051 said:

(new guy) Every rifle I've own (or issued) had BUIS's. Heck, before being issued optics, it was our only form of zero/qual. I still hold to that method: zero BUIS, qual BUIS... zero optics, qual optics. This is my first rifle (DPMS G2 Recon) with the MBUS sights. I hope they can hold zero after I put thousands through (not quite there yet).

6 hours ago, survivalshop said:

OK , I have to ask this about BUIS ,

Just how many here have had to remove their Scope or had to use their BUIS ,because of an issue with their Scope ? ( not practice or a practical choreographed shoot )

I have an AR15 and my M1A set up to easily use the iron sights,  but other then 1 or 2 shots to make sure they are zeroed? Never. Scopes are tougher and more flexible than they used to be. Same with red dots.

8 hours ago, survivalshop said:

OK , I have to ask this about BUIS ,

Just how many here have had to remove their Scope or had to use their BUIS ,because of an issue with their Scope ? ( not practice or a practical choreographed shoot )

I, personally, have not had to remove my optics; however, I do know that some were lost or broken during firefights. It ended up being our SOP to wire the optics to the rifle. Hence, the need for BUIS (IMO).

15 hours ago, ImpliedConsent said:

I, personally, have not had to remove my optics; however, I do know that some were lost or broken during firefights. It ended up being our SOP to wire the optics to the rifle. Hence, the need for BUIS (IMO).

This above is the only one, so far, that has shown a need for BUIS , but its something I would expect in a combat environment over time & probably why so many Combat issued Rifles have Iron Sights , not Scopes .

I grew up on iron sights, literally, as a kid, and militarily.  There were no "optics" militarily until the early to mid 90's.  A few units had the early, EARLY Aimpoints prior to that.  My first issued Aimpoint "kit" included a cantilever mount, attached to the carry handle on the M4A1.  Nothing before that gave you a co-witness through the irons...  It looked like this:

AP10174&QRPinst.jpg

We used them, zero'd them, and trained with them - but you couldn't qualify with them.  A few years later, that changed, and you could qual your Aimpoint.  By that time, we also had EOTech holo sights, as well. 

I have two ARs that don't have back up irons.  Two. One is Kim's coyote gun, and the other I haven't had the time or energy to add a set of 45-degree back-ups to.  Her coyote gun with get the 45-degree sights, when I get around to it.  

My methodology goes for magnified optics and red dots.  Doesn't matter.  I'm now a firm believer in 45-degree sights for magnified optics, and standard co-witness for red dots. 

2 is 1, and 1 is none.  If you don't have a back up, you won't even know that you needed it until it's too damn late...

7 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

2 is 1, and 1 is none.  If you don't have a back up, you won't even know that you needed it until it's too damn late...

^^^^^^^^^Amen.

Not a big fan of the 45 degree stuff though, too much hanging of the rifle getting caught on schit for me. I really like the Bobro low profile set, you hardly know they are there and they are very well made.

17 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

I'm now a firm believer in 45-degree sights for magnified optics, and standard co-witness for red dots. 

Strictly for a combat application, I personally like the concept of the 12 o’clock iron sights on the ACOG and Elcan Specter for a fast/immediate transition. 

Ive always said, I I was allowe to buy/supply my own personal patrol rifle, I would ONLY use the Elcan Specter. IMHO, the best combat optic ever made. 

19 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

I grew up on iron sights, literally, as a kid, and militarily.  There were no "optics" militarily until the early to mid 90's.  A few units had the early, EARLY Aimpoints prior to that.  My first issued Aimpoint "kit" included a cantilever mount, attached to the carry handle on the M4A1.  Nothing before that gave you a co-witness through the irons...  It looked like this:

AP10174&QRPinst.jpg

We used them, zero'd them, and trained with them - but you couldn't qualify with them.  A few years later, that changed, and you could qual your Aimpoint.  By that time, we also had EOTech holo sights, as well. 

I have two ARs that don't have back up irons.  Two. One is Kim's coyote gun, and the other I haven't had the time or energy to add a set of 45-degree back-ups to.  Her coyote gun with get the 45-degree sights, when I get around to it.  

My methodology goes for magnified optics and red dots.  Doesn't matter.  I'm now a firm believer in 45-degree sights for magnified optics, and standard co-witness for red dots. 

My original scope mount for my HBAR was a Leatherwood cantilever mount. I will see if I have any pictures of it.