• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Remington 84164... long time for this...

98Z5V

This rifle will finally become a reality.  It's been a long time, and a very fucked up story behind it.  Sometime this week, I'll pick it up.

Remington 84164.  It's the Model 700 Long Range, in 300 Win Mag.

image.thumb.png.acd9921a72be82f481f3b4d39448a966.png

Glass is already picked out, Larue mounts already picked out  - I'll start working on that stuff after the rifle is at home, and safed-up.

I've been after this bastard for a long time now...

16 hours ago, survivalshop said:

And you even have reloading dies for it , now all you need is all the other components for reloading .:thumbup:

Why yes, yes I do!  And that thanks goes to you, my good man!!!   :hail:

It's in the house already.  Mounting up the Warne Mountain Tech pic rail to it now.  I was ready for this rifle a year ago, and wish I could have bought it then. 

ROB!!!  LET'S CHOP IT BACK TO 24" AND THREAD THE BASTARD!!!!    :banana:

SS, I'll probably start out with RL-22 for the powder. Searching through the Hornady manual, that powder is listed in about every projectile weight.  I've got the 178gr HPBTs already - I load those for the heavies in the .308 bolt gun.  I'll play around with alot of different Hornady projectiles with this one.

I think the glass is gonna be the new Nikon Black X1000, 6-24 MRAD model.  I'm liking what I'm seeing on that scope.  I'll deal with it being SFP, I wish it was FFP.

Edited by 98Z5V

Bell & Carlson M40 stock - so far, I likey.   I'll know more as soon as I pull the trigger on it, but I think it's staying, from handling it at this point.

This thing is coming apart tonight, and I'm adjusting that shitty X-Mark trigger.  I know that trigger is going in the trash, and getting replaced with the same Timney I have in the 700 AAC SD rifle. 

Edited by 98Z5V

Pretty amazing, that this is all there is to a Remington 700.  That B&C stock has a good profile, and a full aluminum bedding block in it.  I'm likin' it.  Pretty damn light, once it's stripped of the rifle guts.  Surprisingly light stock.

P1050906.thumb.JPG.b71ca2372c08fae17d928ea2ee734daf.JPGP1050907.thumb.JPG.02115205bd6a5ec8eda86a22683baa17.JPG

Edited by 98Z5V

The X-Mark Pro trigger is a POS.  I set it as light as it would go, even removing the adjustment screw completely, and it still sucks.  It's out.  Timney going in shortly.  The Timney 517 @ 2.5lbs will be the one.

517front.png

I can't get away from this scope, either.  This is gonna be the one for this rifle.  Nikon Black X1000 6~24x50 in MRAD, illuminated...

804255.jpg

black_x1000_reticles.jpg

I don't mind giving this SFP scope a shot - if the reticle fills the field of view.  If it doesn't, then no way.  I'll get hands-on with one before I buy it, and check it out.  Having to set it to 18x zoom to do the ranging might not be cool at first, but I can get used to that.  I'd much rather it be a FFP scope, range on any magnification, but it's got a hell of alot in it for $650.  I'll know more once I play with one and drop it...   :laffs:

18 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

I don't mind giving this SFP scope a shot - if the reticle fills the field of view.  If it doesn't, then no way.  I'll get hands-on with one before I buy it, and check it out.  Having to set it to 18x zoom to do the ranging might not be cool at first, but I can get used to that.  I'd much rather it be a FFP scope, range on any magnification, but it's got a hell of alot in it for $650.  I'll know more once I play with one and drop it...   :laffs:

You can still do ranging at other powers, but the subtension of the reticle is changing. So my PST is MOA subtensions at 24x for measuring and ranging, so at 18x each subtension is 1.25 MOA, 2 MOA at 12x, and 4 MOA at 6x.

Should be the same for your MIL reticle, if your subtensions are 1:1 at 18x, they will be 2:1 at 9x, and 3:1 at 6x.

So all you really need to keep in mind is how much subtension you're measuring at whatever power you're using and then use the same formula you've always used.

IE, if you're using 9x and the target measures 3 MIL by the reticle, it's 6 MIL actual measurement, if you're using 6x, it's a 9 MIL target (by the reticle). 

The long and short is that the ranging calculation won't change at all, but the target measurement method will. Fortunately, the math for that is really easy.

Haven't physically looked through this scope yet, but I know where there's one in stock. I'll look at it today.  If I like the reticle size as compared to how it fills the objective, it'll be coming home with me.  :thumbup:

Just for reinforcement, from conversations past...

Reticle:

ret·i·cle

ˈredək(ə)l/

noun  North American

noun: reticle; plural noun: reticles

a series of fine lines or fibers in the eyepiece of an optical device, such as a telescope or microscope, or on the screen of an oscilloscope, used as a measuring scale or an aid in locating objects.

Mil_Dot_Reticle.png

Reticule:

ret·i·cule

ˈredəˌkyo͞ol/

noun

noun: reticule; plural noun: reticules

historical

a woman's small handbag, originally netted and typically having a drawstring and decorated with embroidery or beading.

V%2526A-embroidered-reticule-pink.jpg

Fuk it.  I looked through it, and I liked it.  Damn fine scope, and I'll live with the SFP.  I don't know why I'm a dik about FFP scopes, but the PA FFP scopes kinda ruined me on that FFP stuff.  All my other stuff is SFP.  So, this one is cool - VERY cool.  Clear glass at all magnifications,  all the way out to the edges, no distortion anywhere, VERY BRIGHT when you look through it, and yes, the reticle fills the viewing eyepiece, and that never changes despite magnification.  The illumination is great, even in bright sunlight, but it needs to be on 10 in the bright stuff.  I'll get it out on a night shoot coming up and see if setting 1 is do-able at night - hope it's not too bright, at night.  

I tossed it into a set of (no-brainer) Warne Maxima steel 30mm rings, high mount.  I didn't know if the mediums would clear the 50mm objective - but they would have.  I've got decent cheek weld with the highs, but I'm going to pick up a set of mediums and try them out to see if I can get a mo' bettah cheek weld on those.  Will keep the high rings for something else, down the road, if the mediums work out like I think they will.

This is a LONG scope, and it's really long with the sunshade on it - all the way out to the end of the stock, that sunshade goes.  But it's very light for it's size...  With a scope this size, on initial look, I thought it would be alot heavier. It ain't.

Thoroughly impressed, thus far.  Still haven't shot it yet, though...   :embarrassed:

You'll notice a KRG Bolt Lift on this thing - easiest way to improve your bolt handle on any Rem 700, for $28 shipped.  :thumbup:

https://kineticresearchgroup.com/product-category/bolt-lift/

P1050913.thumb.JPG.de3accd8f6c501791970a4265e134b74.JPG

If you haven't ordered things yet...

I happen to have a set of warne QD 30mm mediums in black in the parts drawer. Light use.

Also natchez is blowing out the weaver super slam 6-30. FFP mil/mil ilum. 34mm tube. glass is great on the superslam line and overall quality it right up there. On sale for $750 with free ship and $35 off for black friday, and a $30 manufacturer rebate. Awesome scope for under $700.

https://www.natchezss.com/weaver-super-slam-tactical-rifle-scope-6-30x56mm-34mm.html