• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Anyone ditch an AR-15 after picking up your AR-10?

Boondoggle

I have two 15s one is momma's and the other is mine.  Because I'm putting a 3x12 on my 10 and am running a red dot on my 15 I don't want to dump it but I also have a Rem 870 with a Sig Romeo 5 that shoots slugs in a 3" group at 100 yards. 

I'm trying to separate my hunting and target rifles with my SHTF inventory.  Curious if anyone else has thought about the need for multiple 15s with a good shooting 10. 

I don't ditch much of anything (except guns I've won in raffles that I don't have a use for). I keep what I have and just acquire more. Besides, my wife gets pissed at me when I get rid of a gun! REALLY! She was born in Cuba and witnessed first hand the hardships of living under a communist regime.

Edited by 392heminut

3 minutes ago, 392heminut said:

I don't ditch much of anything (except guns I've won in raffles that I don't have a use for). I keep what I have and just acquire more. Besides, my wife gets pissed at me when I get rid of a gun! REALLY! She was born in Cuba and witnessed first hand the hardships of living under a communist regime.

Well God bless you and her. My wife likes to shoot but I do get the "and what does that gun do that the other more than a dozen do?"  I've worn the shoe argument out. 

18 minutes ago, Boondoggle said:

I looked really hard at the Springfield SOCOM 16 and if I add another .308 semi to the stable that's what it will be. The M1A in 6.5 Creedmoor is quite interesting too

So is an AR in 6.5 Creed, or .260 Remington.  I'm just sayin'...  :thumbup:

6 minutes ago, sketch said:

ar platform has many levels and 308 is big bro!  the .458 in a ar15 frame is a little giant! 

short answer no. 

And 300BLK, 6.5 Grendel, .45 ACP, 9mm, 25/45 Sharps, 6.8 SPC II, .22LR, what am I missing here...   what caliber...  Oh!  .224 Valkyrie.  Long barrels, short barrels - they all have a purpose, in all those calibers, and barrel lengths.  They all have a role to fill. 

In the Big Frame (besides .308 Win), you've got the 6.5 Creedmoor, .260 Rem, .338 Fed, .243 Win, 7mm-08,  .358 Win...  Those last five are ALL based on the .308 parent cartridge, too...  Bonus - reload your .308 brass, on most of them.  You might have to turn down necks on the smaller ones.

Why stop on either one of them, until you're done?...  

4 minutes ago, Robocop1051 said:

You’re missing an important one. In light of this failure... I demand you get to work on a 7.62x39 immediately!

DAMNIT!!!  :laffs:

Kiwi has a point, and a big one, but it's not why to stop. It's what you keep when SHTF.   If I only got to keep one, I'd keep two.. If I got to keep two, I'd keep three.  I'd keep them all until they were completely, hopelessly useless, and be forced to ditch them one by one.  I travel with a trailer, and I wouldn't toss any of them until I had to...

Edited by 98Z5V

7 minutes ago, Robocop1051 said:

You’re missing an important one. In light of this failure... I demand you get to work on a 7.62x39 immediately!

i built 2 due to robo the "pusher"  and they are good shooters! what was the distance at the last years pistol/ rifle challenge? 

1 hour ago, 308kiwi said:

Some time ago the wife and I stood in the gun room and we had the discussion 'what would you grab if you had one chance and had to split'

Me,  Glock 22 and my Aero 10.5" carbine

Her,  Glock 17 and her AK

As much as I 'love' my 308 AR  I'm sorry to say it'd be left behind.

Kiwi is my effin hero!  This post is full of win.  You had me at "my wife and I stood in the gun room"! :hail:

:laffs:

We removed the original staircase in our house a few years ago and installed a spiral staircase, this, rather conveniently, left a space in the middle of the house almost 5ft wide and  18ft long, OH what to do with a space like that, didn't take much imagination to turn it into a an awesome gun room.