• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What to look for in chossing a new trigger.

Dredonn

Hi I'm fairly new to this forum and also ARs, I recently bought a Savage MSR 10 in .308, and love shooting it. I was told I'd get even better groups if I was to upgrade the trigger, I've been looking at a few different ones and realized I don't have enough info to chose the right one. So here's my question, as a person who's never changed out a trigger before, what features am I to look for, also 2 stage vs single stag, I'll mostly be spot and stalking hunting hogs in Fl. and maybe shooting some deer. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I don't want just go and get a trigger and then not be happy with it.

There is no formula to work out your problem because trigger choice/preference is so very very subjective.

But like Edgecrusher says, first you need to decide on single or 2 stage, from there it's purely fine tuning your preference.

I like both single and 2 stage triggers, 2 stage for target/long range when you are working on precision, single for competition/hunting where you want a 'fast' trigger for possible multiple shots quickly.

But again, it's very subjective and the most personal thing in your rifle is your trigger.

You can shoot a 2-stage trigger FAST. Trust me.  If it's a good one, you won't have any issues at all shooting it fast.  It's tough to make a good single stage trigger into "an excellent accuracy trigger."  For accuracy, the 2-stage trigger rules the world.  If it's good.

The one trigger that breaks these rules is the Geissele Super 3 Gun trigger - there just about is NO takeup on it...  That's the fastest single stage trigger you'll ever find, and you can shoot it accurately, at distance.  I prefer other 2-stage triggers, at distance, but that one will work. It's more designed for speed, but with practice, you can be accurate with it.

If I was in your shoes, I'd pick up one of two triggers, only.  Geissele SSA-E (3.5lb combined pull), or the LaRue MBT-2S (4.5lb combined pull).  That G-trigger is gonna run you $250 all day long, with a sale. The LaRue is gonna run you $87 from now 'til Christmas.

Your call.

I've switched over now to almost running that LaRue in almost everything I have.  I did pick up another G Hi-Speed Match trigger last spring, for a specific build, and I have just about every G-trigger you can imagine, and they're all great, but for the money, that LaRue trigger really delivers.  Which is why I keep buying it...

My $0.02...

Edited by 98Z5V

Beware if you're shopping the Geissele triggers used, or from an unknown retailer. All Geissele triggers have a "G" on the top backside of the trigger bow.  The Geissele Hi-Speed triggers have a "GA" on the trigger bow...  none of the other Geissele triggers have that "GA" on there.  That's "Geissele Automatics" and it's only on the Hi-Speed triggers (National Match, DMR, and Service Rifle triggers).  :thumbup:

• 5 months later...

I use the Larue MBT 2S in my hunting AR's. They work well, and are fast. A couple weekends ago I lucked into a group of hogs at about 200yrds. It was as close as I could get. Thankfully, they were in a large clearing. First shot resulted in a drt, second shot resulted in a hog dead that ran approx. 30yrds and dropped, third shot miss, fourth shot resulted in a hit and blood trail to the property boundary where we couldn't go. That third hog is probably dead, but we'll never know. The Larue MBT 2S triggers work very well. And, I personally can't see any way that they slowed me down in my shooting. Those hogs run pretty dang fast. The rifle, a PA10 with 18" barrel, 168grn TTSX handloads at 2552fps five shot average.

55587654_10213750924355930_1732097131507

54041352_10213750924515934_7480040714009

• 1 month later...
On 3/28/2019 at 8:47 PM, dubya said:

Doesn't the Savage MSR10 come with a pretty decent Blackhawk Blaze 2 stage trigger? My buddies MSR10 did but it might be a slightly different model. 

The Hunter has a single stage trigger, not sure who makes is but it's around 8 lbs, I'd like to drop that to between 3 and 5 lbs.