• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

PA10 inbound

2clickslow

New to the forum, so hi everybody! I just ordered the complete upper and lowers separately to save a few bucks. I didn't really research the PA10 all that much since I have had good luck with PSA stuff in the AR platform in the past and I just needed something not too expensive to pop hogs and go to the range with. I was going to get and RPR bolt gun but I was told that would be a bad choice if we were all up in the hogs and they decided to make us dance, lol. .308 based AR was the alternative, and here I am.

Found this forum after the money was spent. I am glad I did as it seems the PA10 can be fraught with issues. Thankfully there is some talent on this board that have been gracious enough to share the fixes. Let me thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge, and let me apologize for the inevitable stupid questions that will spew forth from my keyboard. 

The dumbest question is the one that isn’t asked. If you genuinely don’t know, ask away. It’s when people start asking questions they already know the answer to, or don’t bother checking the archives to see if it has been asked and answered a dozen times already that people get testy.

Edited by Sisco

Welcome to the forum. 

The biggest issues with PA10 tend to be in the buffer system and gas system.  Thankfully, these are not too difficult to diagnose and fix.

You might look over some of the recent PA10 threads to familiarize yourself with the issues so you can be on the lookout for them.

One issue that all 308ARs have in common is that they usually need a lot of lube when breaking in.

Got the upper today. First thing I looked at was the gas tube length. To me it seems a tad short. Opinions? Also, it appears they have changed the hand guard to something that is unbranded. It says "Made In The USA" on both sides and the M-Lok logo on the bottom. It doesn't quite match the finish of the upper either. That doesn't bother me all that much to be honest. BCG seems to be OK but I haven't taken it apart yet.

20190201_215251.jpg

20190201_221644.jpg

1 minute ago, 2clickslow said:

Got the upper today. First thing I looked at was the gas tube length. To me it seems a tad short. Opinions?

20190201_215251.jpg

BIG Opinion - Shiit-Can it.  Take it out, and save it for your next AR15 build that uses midlength gas - it'll match that.

Buy this, and buy it quick, before it goes out of stock again.

https://www.armalite.com/product/ar-10-carbine-length-gas-tube-10007005/

Fuk it - buy two.  This won't be your first rodeo...   :thumbup:

5 hours ago, 2clickslow said:

If I ever get the lower I'm prepared to order a new buffer and spring, but I want to measure it first...maybe they screwed up and got it right.

It's possible - and certainly worth waiting, just to spec it out when it gets there.  :thumbup:

4 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

It's possible - and certainly worth waiting, just to spec it out when it gets there.  :thumbup:

I'll post up once it gets here and give you the dimensions of the spring and buffer tube, and of course which buffer is included. Maybe even throw in a pic or two. Stay tuned.

FAR into the minority, too.

But, hey, maybe they got it right for you - even a blind monkey finds a banana once in awhile, right?

PSA routinely fuks up the gas tube length - because they're drilling the barrels on that "halfass in-between" pattern that alot of barrel cutters are fucking up these days.

5 hours ago, cheap-bastidge said:

When did they change the gas tube?

The bigger question is how many times did they get it right?  I'd like to see a pic straight-down into your upper receiver, without the angle that you put on the pic.

But, hey - you might have got lucky.  You would literally be the FIRST PERSON to have one right.    :thumbup::hail:

After looking at mine, I see about the same amount sticking out of the upper where it engages the gas key. On mine you can see how far into the key it has been going when cycling, however the gun at least in my case, has functioned very well, with no problems now, around 4 or 5 hundred rounds of use so far. Before I ever fired the gun, I addressed the buffer system issues and that prevented damage to the lower. Ever since I got around that initial hurdle, it has been great so far.

I am not expert, but if my rifle is functioning fine, other than an adjustable block for fine tuning, what's to gain changing out the tube?

2019-02-03 08.40.07.jpg

On 2/2/2019 at 4:10 PM, 2clickslow said:

I'll post up once it gets here and give you the dimensions of the spring and buffer tube, and of course which buffer is included. Maybe even throw in a pic or two. Stay tuned.

By chance, are you an Appleseed Instructor?...