• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Fall Shoot 2019 AAR

98Z5V

AAR for Sunday.  Man, what a shiit-show.  Long Range Day 2.  We left the target out there from Saturday.  Small gong at 500, IPSC plates at 850, 1000 and 1200. The Win Mag was the one getting tested this day, and that's my Win Mag writeup for the NEXUS ammo - see here:

Man, I'm telling you, we get out there and I am JUST POURING that damn Hennessey out of me.  I'm sweating it, pissing it...   The start of LR2 just SUCKED. I tried to pit the 18" Grendel against the 18" Valkyrie, and I can't hit shiit, can't focus on shiit...  it SUCKED.  GP John sets his badass Creedmoor up on it's bipod, out on that sweetass VooDoo Tactical shooting mat/mattress thing that it is - and he puts in foamy ear plugs.  Then he puts on his electronic earmuffs.  THEN he rolls onto his back, pulls his hat down over his eyes...   and takes a fucking NAP!  I kid you not.  He slept right through the gunfire, not a twitch.  He had a rough Saturday Night, so I get it, but DAMN!  He slept through it all.  :lmao:

I got tired of wasting Grendel and Valk Match ammo, so I switched up to testing the NEXUS Win Mag stuff against my handloads.  THAT is when I started to feel better.  That Win Mag gun is zero'd for 500 yards, so I went straight to the 500 on my handloads  - BANG! TING!  I'll take that.  Move to the 850, dope is on, hit that.  Move to the 1000, my dope is on, hit that. Now, that 1200 - elevation was on, for dope, but the wind made it tricky out there.  Finally hit that bastard.  Seeing that the elevation (dialing) was on, calling wind, I turned the gun over to @blue109 and @Cunuckgaucho.  They were getting on it, making hits out there on the 1k, but that 1200 was a motherfucker.  We'd moved tothe NEXUS 220gr ammo, and it was almost a direct match for my 225gr handloads.  Their's at 220 gr and 2815fps matched up to my 225gr and 2800fps pretty well.  That Nexus 190gr, though...  

With the 190s coming in "pretty light" for what the gun was tailored around, it took some time.  Both Eric and Mike put the time in, and figured it out.  No shots on the 1200 with that, because it was a chore to figure out the 1000.  When you saw both targets, 1k and 1.2k, through the scope, they were exactly 2 mils apart in the reticle. I think Eric figured this one out while I spotted him.  Dial 1000 in the scope (for 225s), HOLD the base of the 1200 on the crosshairs, and you hit the 1k right on.  Additional 2 mils of drop at 1000, NEXUS 190s versus handload 225s and NEXUS 220s.  

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After we figured out that part, we were pretty much done on LR2, so we packed that site up and headed back to camp.  Once we got back to camp - it was about 2pm.  @Matt.Cross had a flight out at 5am Monday morning, Eric volunteered to drive him to the airport, then hit the road back to Canada, so we decided to just pack up the camp and head back to Casa De Pain.  Me, Ron, @blue109, Eric, Matt, and MikeDaddy.  @blue109 split off and headed back to Tucson, the other 5 of us hit the house, unpacked the trailer and truck, got cleaned up, and hit the local Mexican restaurant for some food.  Got back to the house, and the magic "departure time"for Matt was figured out - Eric and Matt had to leave the house at 3:05am to make Matt's flight check-in, etc.  It was a great time for Eric to not have any bullshiit traffic through Phoenix, too - smooth sailing.

Well, I set my alarm for 2:50am...  It goes off, I get up...  and start listening.  I don't hear anything.  Nothing.  Not a peep in the house...  :laffs:Okay, so these fuckers are still sleeping, and they have to leave in 15 minutes...  They were smart, though - packed the car the night before, but STILL...   They gotta ROLL in 15 minutes, and Casa De Pain is QUIET!  So I laugh, and WAIT...

At 3:05am, I burst out from upstairs... onto the landing up there...  and these two fuckers are tip-toeing, sneaking around in the house, trying to be quiet...   I just yelled "It's 3:05am, so GRAB YOUR SHIIT AND GO!!!"...   :lmao: 

That woke MikeDaddy up - who claimed his favorite position in the green recliner in the dining room, and there were laughs all about the house.  It was a comical end to a pretty badass long weekend.

Love you fuckers.  :thumbup::hail:

Edited by 98Z5V

Here were the hits in the 1000 from that day.  We poked it with smaller calibers, but it's pretty easy to see which ones were the Win Mag.

(I didn't take pics of these targets until I put them out last weekend, then painted them, and fucked them up again...)

P1080320.thumb.JPG.8c51eacafc32e17f681b214066f8f67c.JPG

Here was the final wind call on the 1200, smacked the SHIIT out of it, and called it a day.  Hennessey pouring out of me...   It hit and swung that plate like you cannot imagine.  It was impressive as fuk.  I couldn't believe the power that thing still had at that distance, to move that plate like it did.  It wasn't a "wiggle" either - that thing was going back and forth.  This will be common from now on, now that I've got this gun and load figured out. I'm stashing a GoPro out there close to it to record this shiit.  :thumbup:  

P1080319.thumb.JPG.b120d8d6dff82c98c28ee27d16f34d97.JPG

Edited by 98Z5V

Damn,  that's it. Holy Shiit, is it good.  But, forewarning now...

Do NOT combine that with Jameson, Salted Carmel Crown Royal, Hennessey cognac, or you will grow new body parts. I did that combo, and I thought I was The Hulk. I drank all of it, and I was invincible.  Superman was a pus$y, and I was WAY stronger than Kryptonite.  I ate that all in one night, and I was one bad motherfucker.  Those that were there will testify - I bodyslammed a telephone pole out of the back of my truck...  I poop you not.  After I slammed it, I attacked it with a chainsaw.  Then the bitch went into the firepit, after I went nuts with the axe and split the cut sections... I was on fire that night...  I was ten feet tall, two coats of hair, three rows of teeth, and bullet-proof.  That combo turned me into the animal in me that shouldn't be awakened. I went apeshit that night.  

This really went down.  It really happened. It was the combo of the liquor that warped my mind, and made me lose my shiit...  I went berserk. 

This was all on the Saturday night of the Fall Shoot, and I went Full GREG that night.  I didn't hold back anything.  Gravity is what forced me to bed that night. 

I was EPIC when I was standing under my own power, though.  :banana:

5 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Damn,  that's it. Holy Shiit, is it good.  But, forewarning now...

Do NOT combine that with Jameson, Salted Carmel Crown Royal, Hennessey cognac, or you will grow new body parts. I did that combo, and I thought I was The Hulk. I drank all of it, and I was invincible.  Superman was a pus$y, and I was WAY stronger than Kryptonite.  I ate that all in one night, and I was one bad motherfucker.  Those that were there will testify - I bodyslammed a telephone pole out of the back of my truck...  I poop you not.  After I slammed it, I attacked it with a chainsaw.  Then the bitch went into the firepit, after I went nuts with the axe and split the cut sections... I was on fire that night...  I was ten feet tall, two coats of hair, three rows of teeth, and bullet-proof.  That combo turned me into the animal in me that shouldn't be awakened. I went apeshit that night.  

This really went down.  It really happened. It was the combo of the liquor that warped my mind, and made me lose my shiit...  I went berserk. 

This was all on the Saturday night of the Fall Shoot, and I went Full GREG that night.  I didn't hold back anything.  Gravity is what forced me to bed that night. 

I was EPIC when I was standing under my own power, though.  :banana:

So we can  conclude that the Kraken was released?