• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Fall Shoot 2019 AAR

98Z5V

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I FINALLY got @392heminut's truck gun painted, and gave it to him on Friday.  However, comma, pause for effect...    I didn't take a single picture of the damn thing.  I hope he posts up some pics of it, because it might be my best work yet.  I Desert-Tiger-Striped that thing, with Cerakote H-Series, FDE and Patriot Brown...   It's BAD!...   :banana:

2 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

I FINALLY got @392heminut's truck gun painted, and gave it to him on Friday.  However, comma, pause for effect...    I didn't take a single picture of the damn thing.  I hope he posts up some pics of it, because it might be my best work yet.  I Desert-Tiger-Striped that thing, with Cerakote H-Series, FDE and Patriot Brown...   It's BAD!...   :banana:

Tom, there will definitely be some pics posted of the AR and the SV Infinity as soon as I can get Mayra to take some with her phone and send them to me (my phone has a crap camera). My oldest came in from Alaska yesterday and will be here for most of the week so it may take a few days.

For everyone else, Tom isn't blowing his own horn, this Cerakote job on the AR is badazzed! The pistol is pretty impressive too, but the camo job on the AR just blew me away!:thumbup::banana:

Guess I'm going back next year seeing as I still haven't seen a roadrunner yet even though I was told they're all over the place plus the bank will not exchange my US change.

In all seriousness I started this adventure thinking to myself that I'm going off to a foreign country to meet up in the middle of the desert with a bunch of gun toting strangers I'd never met... really what could go wrong?

Had an amazing trip/adventure and would easily drive twice as long that's what it would take. Saw a cactus up close but not as close as some other had in the past, the baby scorpion was cool. Although i will point out one doesn't need to shake one's shoes or sleeping bag to check on the off chance a bear has snuck in...just saying. My first rattle snake to but dammit no roadrunner.

The chance to meet some of the fine collection of deplorables that make up the group (and hoping to meet up those that didn't make it on future shoots) alone made it worthwhile then the food, at which  point I'd leave happy. Then the desert platter was brought out and I finally shot full auto, silencers, broke 200yd with pistol(lucky shot) and rifle(going out to 1000) , downhill shooting both the class and practical.The generosity of folks letting me shoot their stuff and the knowledge shared( easily learned more over a couple days then I could on my own up here in a year plus and for that thank you.

Hopefully the ATF and I can workout an arrangement that allows me to bring down and share some of my toys. I'm also hoping they'll also tell me away I can keep firearms in the US even if I'm not a resident.

I damn sure hope I get the chance to meet you at one of these. I’m happy to have met a good handful of the folks on here at a few of the past shoots. I would consider them all family. Those who travel great distances to come out for a few days really amaze me. The fact that they come back is enough to show that it must be something special out there. While the food is usually great, and the shooting is fun, the time with spent each other is the real magic of these trips.  I need to get on the road and visit a few I don’t think we’ll ever drag out.  

13 hours ago, DNP said:

the time with spent each other is the real magic of these trips.

That pretty much sums it up right there, I feel honored to be able to spend time with everyone who makes it!:thumbup:

Mayra is definitely looking forward to coming back. She apologized to me all the way back to Tucson for feeling so crappy and not staying longer. Just so you all know, it was my decision to head back early, she never once said anything about wanting to leave but when she wasn't getting up and grabbing something to pull the trigger on I knew she was really miserable. She kept telling me I should have stayed longer but I gotta take care of that woman, she's irreplaceable!

Edited by 392heminut

16 minutes ago, 392heminut said:

That pretty much sums it up right there, I feel honored to be able to spend time with everyone who makes it!:thumbup:

Mayra is definitely looking forward to coming back. She apologized to me all the way back to Tucson for feeling so crappy and not staying longer. Just so you all know, it was my decision to head back early, she never once said anything about wanting to leave but when she wasn't getting up and grabbing something to pull the trigger on I knew she was really miserable. She kept telling me I should have stayed longer but I gotta take of that woman, she's irreplaceable!

You've definitely got your priorities straight Larry, don't sweat it brother.

Larry and Mayra were extremely hospitable to my wife and I on the way to our first fall shoot.  They were the first "real" meeting of 308ar folk.  They are as wonderful as all others I have met as well as those I have not met in person...yet.

We have not heard from @308kiwi in a while but I hope to have an intercontinental meeting at some time.  I missed the international meeting this time but plan on changing that next year. 

So, AAR-wise, Saturday night...   :embarrassed:

Fuk me, we're two nights in, then SATURDAY HAPPENS.   We hiked that fuckin' hill Friday - and it did suck.  Both up AND down.  The view on top, on that ledge, was well worth it, but fuk me, does it take it out of you.  @Matt.Cross plan worked out perfect - "We hike that hill early, get that High Angle out of the way, of sorts, and FRICK!  We get to lay down and do nothing on Long Range!"  He was right as rain, on that.  We layed down and did Long Range on Saturday, but DAMN!  Saturday night, I let loose.  I went Full-On GREG on Saturday Night.  @edgecrusher    Gun Pusher John showed up - and I didn't say this part - I think it was Eric @Cunuckgaucho ambushed me Day 1 and layed a bottle of Jameson on the driver's seat of my truck.  Took hours, but I found it.  Well...  all that came out on Saturday night...

@JBMatt had some bottle of Salted Caramel Whiskey...  I had a bottle of Jameson's.  When we got back from the Long Range site, we got into the whiskey.  Outta nowhere, I think it was @MikedaddyH brings out this bottle of Henessey.  FUUUUUUUCK me.  Gun Pusher John shows up after it's dark...  Someone (I think it was Eric, again) brings out this bottle of "KRAKEN" black spiced rum...   this was a recipe for disaster.

Skip, the Ranger Master for Dillon Aero shows up with his wife, beer is flowing, whiskey is disappearing quickly, and NOBODY is shooting the 450-yard illuminated night target.  Alright, I'm gonna fire this up, and get shiit moving.  I grab the .260 and a full mag, lay waste to the 450 - and it's going again.  Like re-starting a campfire.  Flame is burning again, people shooting targets, 200, 250, 450 all illuminated.  @Matt.Cross FINALLY gives up his .45ACP pistol wisdom on a 200-yard target - and people start shooting the 200-yard target with a pistol - at an illuminated target, at NIGHT.  I grab the pistol, do what was told to me, and shoot the 200 - hit it first shot. Theeeeeen...  I angle over towards that 250.  Matt says, "No WAY, Brother!  You can't apply the SAME THING and hit that 250!!!"  He was right - I didn't apply "that same thing."  He told me what I needed to hit the 200, so I applied "a little more," and made the shot.  I hit that 250-yard target on the first round.  I walked away, set the pistol down, and acted like I MEANT TO DO THAT SHIIT!...  :banana:

That's the kicker - if you make a lucky shot...  you STOP right there, walk away, and act like you MEANT that shiit!...   You WALK AWAY COCKY - LIKE YOU MEANT TO DO THAT...    That's a hard act to follow for a lucky shot in the first place, so you TAKE those lucky shots, and just WALK...  Like you ALWAYS do that...   :laffs:

I'm telling you, I CORKED that 250 with a pistol, first round, too...  At night... A$shole, I know...  but that was pure luck...  :bitchslap:

So, we progress into the whiskey night...  Well, we progressed into the whiskey, Jameson, salted caramel whiskey (DAMN was that good!), that damn Hennessey, and that crazy Kraken black spiced rum...  and we were running out of firewood.  Me and Kate (Ron's daughter) left in the Big Dumb Dodge on a Firewood Recon... Driving slow through the desert, looking for gathered wood from washes - it gathers in the corners of a wash, where water had to turn a corner in a wash - it's almost ALWAYS there.  We were striking out  - and then we found the Holy Grail...  old fence posts and an old teletphone pole about 6 feet high.  Shiit, whadda we do?...  BACK TO CAMP FOR THE CHAINSAW!!!   :lmao:  We turned that Big Dumb Dodge around and pined it back to camp.  Grabbed the chainsaw, and we hauled absolute ASS outta camp, saying we found the motherlode.  Assheads in camp thought we were crazy - until we came back.  We dragged more wood out of the back of the truck...   I grabbed that section of old telephone pole out of the truck and slammed it down by the firepit like a UFC fighter slamming someone to the mat - in normal life, I'd never be able to do that, but I was fueled by a BUNCH of different whiskeys...   :banana:

We had some WILD fire that night, too - but it doesn't end there.  The whiskey (and Hennessey and Kraken) caught up with me, eventually.  It certainly caught up with Gun Pusher John, too - he bought a chair from Kate that night, after he barfed all over it.  My experience was much difference, though.  No Barf.  Craziness, instead.  I "decided" it was time for a Sobe Bomb, once the Jameson bottle was empty - glass bottle, metal screw-on cap - fire - spare gas...   Gun Pusher John punched too big of a hole in the metal cap, soit was less-than-perfect, but it was still bitchin...   I don't know how I didn't fall in the fire emplanting that bastard, but I didn't.  GPJohn has the video, and I need him to send it to me to post up here.  All kinds of audible warnings, prior to...  "Tom, NO!  DON"T DO IT!"  yada yada.  "YOU'LL DIE AFTER YOU CATCH ON FIRE!!!"  Okay...   I'm posting this, so I'm still here, not on fire...   :lmao:

After that Sobe Bomb, things went south, quick.  I think I drank the entire camp out of whiskey, then I tried to combine spiced rum and Hennessey to that...  I had a Gravity Attack...  I went down, by some reports, I went over backwards and my head hit a big piece of wood that I'd drug back before.  @JBMatt was certain that I was fucked up for life, and we'd need medics - he said I hit that thing that hard, right on my mellon.  In reality, I don't think I hit that log/railroad tie/whatever it was that hard - I just stumbled a little, tripped backwards, something stopped me from a somersault - and I was back up.  No Blood, No Foul.  I was fine - minus Gravity fucking with me.  So, 30-ish kinda minutes goes by, and I have ANOTHER Gravity Attack - this time, I'm not stopping myself from going face-first in the dirt...  Called it, right then, dragged my ass to the bunk in the camper, and that was the night.  DONE. 

That was a vicious night, by that fire.  Rough.  That was a desert party like no other. 

The "Sunday Story and Long Range Day 2" is coming up.   One comment I remember from Saturday night was when Kate and I got back to camp, on the firewood hunt, when we found the stuff out there that needed cut.  I V8-Dodge-screaming-318-thunder slid to a screaming dust-filled full-brake non-ABS stop back into camp, leaped out of the truck and yelled "I NEED THE CHAINSAW!" while Kate was taking the small shiit that we found out there before, out of the bed of the truck...   Someone in camp said - and I barely heard it - "Who brings a chainsaw with them out in the desert?...?

THIS GUY...   :banana:

Edited by 98Z5V