• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

AR10 for hunting

NightStalker

I’d like to here about your hunting AR10, caliber, weight furniture etc.  

I’m building this AR10 for pack hunting, in a round about way.

You see a few years ago some friends and I packed into a remote area on horses and had a blast. I found my nice 7 mm mag that I’ve had for almost 30 yrs now, was a bit cumbersome and worried the whole time it would get damaged. Never know what can happen with horses.  

With all this said hence the AR10 build, just trying to keep it some what light, with enough punch to get the job done on Elk, deer, bear, Zombies lol if needed. 

Appriciate the reply’s 

87443420-CB44-460E-819C-611725E2CE2A.jpeg

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So far this year this is what I have got, it was close range. he walked right under me. I had to let him walk by to get a shot. using the creedmpre again. I am in a tall tower stand on all these hunts and in a cutover. I am now using a 6.5 Grendel to hunt with.

SANY4746.JPG

SANY4749.JPG

SANY4674.JPG

SANY4174.JPG

Edited by Belt Fed

• 2 months later...

This is a old thread but no one has addressed the weight issue with AR10 type weapons and before anyone else says it ONLY Armalite weapons are AR10 variations, so I shoot a DPMS LR308 I have changed a ton of stuff on it and it still weighs with a full 5 rounds in it over 9 lbs the freeking things are heavy!!!!!!! now if you have a horse to pack it then problem solved but if you are going to walk in steep country it will be heavy... but they work really really well... If it were me and it is I would build a 6.5 Creedmoor upper which I did and that will be my hunting gun next year if I hunt and if I had it to do over I would build the 6.5 CR with a pencil barrel after all it is for hunting not zombies and that would really help the weight problem..

1031150956.jpg

1101130837a.jpg

Elk 2014.jpg

IMG_20171011_104231655 [1280x768].jpg

9 hours ago, Magwa said:

This is a old thread but no one has addressed the weight issue with AR10 type weapons and before anyone else says it ONLY Armalite weapons are AR10 variations, so I shoot a DPMS LR308 I have changed a ton of stuff on it and it still weighs with a full 5 rounds in it over 9 lbs the freeking things are heavy!!!!!!! now if you have a horse to pack it then problem solved but if you are going to walk in steep country it will be heavy... but they work really really well... If it were me and it is I would build a 6.5 Creedmoor upper which I did and that will be my hunting gun next year if I hunt and if I had it to do over I would build the 6.5 CR with a pencil barrel after all it is for hunting not zombies and that would really help the weight problem..

1031150956.jpg

1101130837a.jpg

Elk 2014.jpg

IMG_20171011_104231655 [1280x768].jpg

Nice Elk.

AR10 is like any other weapon.  Look at what you have in and on it.  You have a grip pod, old school triangle gas block/front site, heavy rear shoulder stock etc.  No clue on the weight of your optic also.  

That being said, 9 pounds isn't heavy.  

Weight and where it is on your weapon matters.  I have a BSF carbon barrel on plus have been very aware or what is and isnt on my weapon.  

Yeah the grip pod has now been replaced by a atlas Bi pod but while I used it it worked great my longest elk kill with this gun is 376 yards prone with Barnes TTSX 168 grain stone dead at the sound of the rifle they really work well I also have the gator grip on mine it is silly what it weighs almost nothing ....

• 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 11/22/2019 at 6:30 AM, Belt Fed said:

So far this year this is what I have got, it was close range. he walked right under me. I had to let him walk by to get a shot. using the creedmpre again. I am in a tall tower stand on all these hunts and in a cutover. I am now using a 6.5 Grendel to hunt with.

SANY4674.JPG

So can you do air traffic control in there while you are hunting? Gave up on elevated stands after a local guy broke his neck and another broke both his legs falling out of elevated tree stands. That one looks pretty safe though. But where’s the elevator?

It's 18 feet to the bottom where my feet are and another seven from there. me and another guy made that stand. it's been there a long time. when they cut the trees it blew over and i had to fix a bunch of broken stuff. You can't see it in that pic but it is wired down with an auger and cable. i'll see if i can find pics of that. Those rungs had ice on them every morning i hunted. i just put my foot to the side where it can't sldis and went on up.