• Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Hearing Protection Accessories for the Shooters

jacksimonton

On 12/21/2019 at 2:48 PM, mrmackc said:

The ones in my picture are:

Walker's Razor Slim Electronic Muff,

Amazon shows several different colors and styles under the Walker's Razor Slim Electronic Muff item, and several different prices for different colors and logos, the ones I ordered are black with an American flag patch. These are the less expensive at $33.62 each, some are $39 depends upon which thumbnail you click on.

I have those and they work wonderfully. Also got  some for my wife after I tried them out. Easy to have a conversation if needed. Used them extensively yesterday trap shooting on the farm. 

Now for you guys ,like me, with a dab of hearing loss from too much Pow Ping thump and/or  VAROOOOMing

With the volume control turned up the Walker Razor thin electronic muff acts like a hearing aid.  I can't hera the living room TV audio over here in my gun/computer room, but with the muff volume turned up I can hear the TV! You can't determine the direction of the sound, it is omnidirectional.

BTW:  The American flags are velcroed on , they come detached in the blister pac.

Wife gave me a set of those Walker's Razor muffs, nice tight fit, sounded good, not as clear as some Caldwells I have but a better fit around the ear, smashed those wire frame glasses bows right flat. I really like these electronic muffs when it comes to having the younger ones on the range, big benefits if they can hear you talking to them.

I wear plugs and muffs when shooting except 9mm and 300 BO suppressed, then just the plugs. I have that cursed ring in both ears now, been paying attention to ear protection for maybe 15 years, couple decades late I guess.

• 3 years later...

Curious if anyone has any experience using any of the electronic muffs or plugs for hunting. I tend to carry basic plugs and intend to put them in before I shoot.  But time does not always allow.  Trying to keep the hearing I have left.  But need to hear what's moving around.

10 hours ago, MtnMike said:

Curious if anyone has any experience using any of the electronic muffs or plugs for hunting. I tend to carry basic plugs and intend to put them in before I shoot.  But time does not always allow.  Trying to keep the hearing I have left.  But need to hear what's moving around.

I would positively recommend the Pro Ears Stealth 28 HTs, or the Stealth 28 HT/BTs.   The "BT" is bluetooth, if you want that.  The BTs are about $179 MSRP, and the non-BT version is half that.  I have the BTs, and they're amazing. 

My Walker Silencer 2.0s turned into backups in my chest rig, because of these Pro Ears. 

HTs:   https://proears.com/product/stealth-28-ht/

HT/BTs:   https://proears.com/product/stealth-28-htbt/

17 hours ago, MtnMike said:

The electonic ear muff work great for pistol but not so good with rifles. When you place you cheek on the stock it pushes up on the ear muffs breaking the seal.

A bought a pair of stealth 28BT, the foam plugs seal better than the silicone ones but doen't last as long or clean as easily as the silicone plugs. Good news is replacement foams are cheap. 

Thanks for the input fellas.  Easier to part with the $, when I can get some real input.  Like the concept of the omnidirectional microphones (so you can tell where the sound is coming from) for hunting.  Deer season in VA ended yesterday, which is latest of where I can hunt.  Got some major mods on a few guns to do before next season - mainly optic upgrades on four different guns.  But I also plan to replace a trigger on the DD, and put a lighter muzzle brake on the Wyndham.  So I anticipate a fair amount of time at the range over the coming months.  I'll try to get the new ears before that phase kicks in. 

• 9 months later...

Thought I'd follow-up on this topic after using the Pro-Ears Stealth 28HT for the last 4 days during muzzle loader season.  In a nutshell, I like them and recommend them for hunting.

If you crank them all the way up, I'd estimate you can hears things twice as far away as with the unaided ear. And, your hearing is well-protected. Fired 3 times, once from a fairly enclosed stand structure, and noticed no hearing discomfort afterwards at all.  Only caveat is that a boisterous turkey vulture sounded a little bit like Godzilla.  Takes a little bit of getting used to to separate the squirrels and the falling leaves from the careful steps of a whitetail.  But really only a few minutes.  The other unexpected benefit was that they made me much more conscious of my own noise.  So they made me a more stealthy hunter.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/7/2023 at 1:59 PM, 98Z5V said:

I would positively recommend the Pro Ears Stealth 28 HTs, or the Stealth 28 HT/BTs.   The "BT" is bluetooth, if you want that.  The BTs are about $179 MSRP, and the non-BT version is half that.  I have the BTs, and they're amazing. 

My Walker Silencer 2.0s turned into backups in my chest rig, because of these Pro Ears. 

HTs:   https://proears.com/product/stealth-28-ht/

HT/BTs:   https://proears.com/product/stealth-28-htbt/

Damn you!!!!!! shame shame shame........ now I have to get me some of these My muffs work but not well when shooting the rifles I saw many at the fall shoot with them and was impressed my new barrel for the M16A1 will have to wait.......thanks Tom........

11 hours ago, Magwa said:

Damn you!!!!!! shame shame shame........ now I have to get me some of these My muffs work but not well when shooting the rifles I saw many at the fall shoot with them and was impressed my new barrel for the M16A1 will have to wait.......thanks Tom........

If you don't need Bluetooth.

Pro Ears Stealth 28 HT, 28 dB, Shooting Ear Protection, Situational Awareness, 25-Hour Battery Life, Noise Canceling Earbuds, Comfortable Behind-Ear Fit https://a.co/d/1lzab3N

Or, if you want to be like the cool kids, with Bluetooth.

Pro Ears Stealth 28 HTBT, Shooting Ear Protection, 28 dB, Situational Awareness, 15-Hour Battery Life, Noise Canceling Earbuds, Bluetooth Earbuds https://a.co/d/6G75UCK

Both are less than ProEars website.  They were $125ish on Black Friday.  I bought a pair to replace the one I left in the desert somewhere.

21 hours ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

If you don't need Bluetooth.

Pro Ears Stealth 28 HT, 28 dB, Shooting Ear Protection, Situational Awareness, 25-Hour Battery Life, Noise Canceling Earbuds, Comfortable Behind-Ear Fit https://a.co/d/1lzab3N

Or, if you want to be like the cool kids, with Bluetooth.

Pro Ears Stealth 28 HTBT, Shooting Ear Protection, 28 dB, Situational Awareness, 15-Hour Battery Life, Noise Canceling Earbuds, Bluetooth Earbuds https://a.co/d/6G75UCK

Both are less than ProEars website.  They were $125ish on Black Friday.  I bought a pair to replace the one I left in the desert somewhere.

Thank you my man.....