• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Hello from WV...

Lowlander

Hey everyone, glad to be part of the forum. I've gotten some great info from this site and figured it's time I join up.

I've gotta say, I'm a big 308AR fan. It was something that started years ago when I got an Armalite AR10A2. 20" barrel and I really loved it. But ended up parting with it due to the A2 upper being difficult to mount optics. This was back in the day when AR10 parts were pretty much nonexistent and as simple as it would have been to swap out to an A4 upper, I didn't want to separate the original A2 upper from its original lower. Plus, I never found an A4 upper, lol.

Anyways, I went several years going through a HK phase. Built a couple 91's and a pretty nice heavy barreled 91 on a PSG1 receiver. The HK91 is a great battle rifle, but after much $$ the precision I wanted wasn't there.

The more recent flood of 308 AR parts and rifles on the market allowed me to finally build what I wanted. I built on a Stag 10 receiver set. Rock Creek 18", 1:11.25, Intermediate Gas, stainless 5R barrel. Toolcraft Nitride Carrier with JP bolt. RRA Chrome 2 Stage Trigger, UBR stock running a H2 buffer, Troy Carbon Fiber 15" M-Lok rail and a Seekins Adjustable Gas Block.

I love the rifle, I have a hard time shooting anything else sometimes. I'm getting ready to figure out a decent optic for it. I've got a cheap place holder 2-10x hunting scope on it now just to be able to shoot it. I have a Liberty Mystic X can in NFA jail that will reside on this rifle most the time. 

I've got 2 spare Stag 10 uppers that I'm going to start building soon. One will be short at 14.5" and the other will be a 20"+ most likely in 308. I may go 6.5CM, though I hate to stock another cartridge in the ammo pile, I may just try it out. 

Anyways, sorry for the huge post, lol. Since I'm going to be building these 2 uppers soon I figured now's a good time to join. I need to source a couple 80% lowers for this set up too. The Stag 10 being pretty much SR25 spec, DPMS High and slant cut. I wouldn't mind having a couple spare lowers. I already have a nice 308 jig and all the tooling ready to roll.

Thanks for reading and I'm looking forward to being here on the forum...

44 minutes ago, Matt.Cross said:

Welcome from NC! What part of WV? I used to work down on the KY border near Matewan. 

I live pretty much smack dab in the middle of the state between Charleston and Clarksburg... I do work down that way from time to time. We have a coal sampling system at a mine near there. Anytime there's a breakdown or rebuild I get to spend a little time there. It's definitely a "country" place, lol.

Thanks for all the welcomes...

Welcome aboard LL.  Terrific forum and it's certainly not a template type forum,  it rocks and rolls.  It's smooth and easy,  as well as rough and tumble.  Serious at times and often not too serious.  Dedicated folks with special interests and a vast amount of hard earned knowledge that is given out easily.  I'm surprised they don't charge.  Well other than some fun abuse, then the info is forthcoming.  It's like the payment you paid becoming friends with the rough boys when we were kids.  Best of luck to you LL.

50 minutes ago, RedRiverII said:

Welcome aboard LL.  Terrific forum and it's certainly not a template type forum,  it rocks and rolls.  It's smooth and easy,  as well as rough and tumble.  Serious at times and often not too serious.  Dedicated folks with special interests and a vast amount of hard earned knowledge that is given out easily.  I'm surprised they don't charge.  Well other than some fun abuse, then the info is forthcoming.  It's like the payment you paid becoming friends with the rough boys when we were kids.  Best of luck to you LL.

It's all good, I've got thick skin so no worries... I appreciate all the welcomes so far. Definitely a good knowledge base here.