• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

98's 6mm ARC

98Z5V

9 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Alright, I know I've previously posted the graphics of the 6 ARC beating the .308 Win 178 ELD-X, JUST BARELY, and both those just flat SMOKIN' the 6.5 Grendel 123 ELD-M.  I know I posted that graphic... 

I thought that was odd, and I stated it when I saw the numbers from a Kotaboy32 vid that @DayWalker posted.  I dug up the info.   ....aaaaand, my numbers weren't matching those advertised numbers, not even close.  Not in the previous Hornady stuff, and certainly not in the vid that DW posted... 

Well, Hornady has changed their advertised charts now...  There is no more drop chart that has 6.5 Grendel in it, and the previous chart that showed .308 Win 178 ELD-X - that's been replaced with the 168 ELD-M - I think that's because they really know how badass that 178 ELD-X is...  The removal of the Grendel data was to replace it with 5.56 73gr ELD-M...   Well, FUK!  I know I can streeeeeetch out a 5.56 gun, too!  Glad I added the 5.56 Mk12 Mod 1 to the mix, earlier...   :popcorn:   Here's the new chart, from Hornady's website:

6mm ARC ammo comparison

Do you think they realized they over hyped it and are back tracking? I hope this isn’t another flash in the pan cartridge that doesn’t achieve the real world results as promised.

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is this cartridge superior to 5.56 in the 6-800 yard range?  Almost double the weight and have similar characteristics to a 7.62,  or at least comparable?  I'm asking because I think that is the purpose of the round,  to better enable boots on the ground,  and not necessarily a hunting/target round.  Of course I dove right back into the info pool on the 6mm ARC. Bolts,  case thickness,  freebore,  blown belts,  a tinkerer's paradise.  4385 more temp resistant,  110's too long/not too long.  6.5 Grendel supreme/not supreme.  It does me good to not just sit waiting for this freaking hurricane.  

On 8/1/2020 at 6:29 AM, RedRiverII said:

Is this cartridge superior to 5.56 in the 6-800 yard range? 

Gonna be FAR SUPERIOR, in my oh-so-humble opinion, and just dominate the 5.56 at those distances.  Putting a 5.56 projectile on target at 800 yards isn't easy.  It take patience, and some skills.  Shooting a good Grendel gun that far is almost kinda boring - skills still necessary, though.  It's certainly gonna smoke the living shiit out of 5.56 loads, no matter whose loads they are.  This is a necked down Grendel.  It's gonna behave the same.  I can't wait to see how it performs.  Next Sunday morning, early, I'm firing it up at 100 yards at least, to get a zero on it and initial speed numbers.  I'll probably take it to 500 yards that day, too.  Might as well.  Look for the update here on the afternoon of 9 Aug.   :thumbup:

On 8/1/2020 at 5:29 AM, Radioactive said:

Might have to do it at night and practice them 800 yard night shots. Kill 2 birds with  1 rock. Maybe a 4:30 start time first light trigger pull so you don’t risk heat stroke. I’d go with you but the commute is a little far.

This thing isn't ready for 800 or 850 yet.  I'll need the initial data on it.  Right now, night shoots are what we usually do here, with the misfit-band-of-local-degenerates. It's almost all we can do - because the overnight "low temp" hovers around 90*.  And that's usually at 5 or 6 am.  Even night shoots out here at this time kinda suck - but you still need to get your lead out, I get it, just to stay "normal..."   :laffs:

I wish I had that camera system that you set up on the target, and monitor at your shooting position.  It's some thing that comes in an ammo can, and it's cool.  If I had that thing, I'd think about an overnight, right now, and that would be some COOL VIDEO to put up...  I'll just head out early, and get it done, before the heat gets stupid. 

I was moving shiit into my son's new apartment yesterday - started at 3pm, finished around 8pm.  It was 115*.  You just learn how to deal with it, and know it's gonna suck.  At least he got a 2nd floor this time, and not a 3rd floor...   :thumbup:

1 hour ago, 98Z5V said:

Putting a 5.56 projectile on target at 800 yards isn't easy.  It take patience, and some skills.

I talked some shiit about this very thing a few months ago here, and went out and did it. I can't remember what thread it was in, but that day SUCKED...

I said I was gonna put the 75gr handloads from the Mk12 Mod 1 on the 850 - this whole thing was spurned from another topic of shooting a Mk12 at that kind of distance.  Okay, I'm your Huckleberry... 

Well, get out there and go through the process of setting that 850 up - which isn't a small task...  Might as well set the 500 up, because it's on the way, and it's some confirmation of medium distance before you go longer...   and the wind is HOWLING.  There was a brief moment of rational clarity that "this might be stupid..." So, let's get the Kestrel out and see what kind of wind this is...  almost steady at 13.9mph, directly from the left - Full Value wind at 13.9. FML...

I got myself into this, by talking about it, so we're gonna stay out here until this works - or die trying. 

Doping that wind was INSANE.  Hold centermass, fire, let's just see where this thing goes - I don't have a wind chart for almost 14mph...  WAY RIGHT. Looks like 5 mils.  Hold 5 mils off target left, and it still impacts right. A little. Hold 5.5 mils left, and it just goes around the target to the right.  Hold 5 3/4 mils left - BANG!  TING!  Fuk yeah, let's do that again...  BANG!  TING!   Figured it out.  And it sucked.   I now know that if I'm shooting that gun at 850 yards, in a 14mph Full Value wind, that it's 5 3/4 mils of wind drift hold.  That's a shiitty thing to have to learn. 

But, I opened my mouth - so that's what I had to deal with.  I think the .260 Rem was 1.5 mils of wind hold that same day, same winds.  My 10mph hold/dial for that thing, at that distance is 1.4 mils, dialed. 

That's the difference on 5.56 at distance, and these newer, sleeker projectiles like the Grendel and .260.  I think the 6mm will be very, very similar.  :thumbup:

5.56 at those ranges - it's doable, and it's easy, if there's no wind, I don't care what anybody else says. That kind of distance for a 5.56 precision load isn't hard, from a properly-built gun.   It's far from impossible, and not hard - in no wind. You throw wind into the equation, and it then becomes a very different story for the 5.56 out at that distance. 

850 yards from an 18" 6.5 Grendel SPR gun is almost a joke.  Haven't shot one of those in a 14mph Full Value wind, though, but I wish I'd had it out there that day, just to see.  My Full Value 10mph wind hold at 850 yards for that gun/load is 2.2 mils. Maybe I'd hold 2.3 or 2.4 mils for 14mph, on that gun?  Significant difference, over that 5 3/4 hold for the 5.56 precision loads, fired through a Mk12 Mod 1 gun... 

Edited by 98Z5V

4 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

It was 115*.  You just learn how to deal with it, and know it's gonna suck. 

I remember growing up and making the trek every summer to Vegas to visit grandparents. Hot as hell! It was a dry heat just meant that you ate a lot of toast because any sandwich was board stiff after 3 bites in that dry heat. We couldn’t stay inside cause there was absolutely nothing to do maybe listen to the radio. Kids played outside no matter what the weather was like. Night time was almost as bad only it was dark. Everything you touched burned you but we were outside anyway.

@RadioactiveI did a jaunt to Vegas in the month of August.  Yikes.   I saw some electricians installing a lamp post and felt horrible about their conditions.  Lick your lips and watch steam come off.  

@98Z5VI asked about the 800 yd range and comparisons already knowing the answers.  Anything that keeps US Troops and their allies in safety is a good thing.  No sense in closing to 100 if it's not necessary.  Spend the bucks and save lives.

8 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

I wish I had that camera system that you set up on the target, and monitor at your shooting position.  It's some thing that comes in an ammo can, and it's cool.  If I had that thing, I'd think about an overnight, right now, and that would be some COOL VIDEO to put up...  I'll just head out early, and get it done, before the heat gets stupid. 

The wifi signal 800 yards would be the issue, there are antenna avail, even folks making home brewed ones that people use to plug into public wifi from miles away tho. I have set the software up that he is talking about, it is pretty simple overall.

Edited by willbird

7 minutes ago, willbird said:

I see Brownells listed some faxon 6mm arc. But only heavy profile. I want a 10.5 pencil :-). The faxon are 1:8 by the look of it.

Me, personally, when I saw their initial rifling twist - I wouldn't do it.  1:8" twist is borderline for stabilizing these heavies, in the 105/108/110 range.  That's not gonna be a "winner" for them, unless they move it to a 1:7" twist.  Just my opinion on this, from all the info out there right now.  That's kind of like the .243 Win data that I've seen, as far as .243 Win loads, and I've been into that bolt gun for about 6 months now.

We're gonna find out soon, though.  All the BA barrels are 1:7" twist rate.  If this thing performs like it's supposed to, I wouldn't be against building another one, with a Faxon 1:8" barrel, and trying it out.  That would DEFINITELY wring out the twist-rate shiit.  This thing is so new, that nobody knows that's going on, outside of Online Media Representation...  

Edited by 98Z5V

8 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Me, personally, when I saw their initial rifling twist - I wouldn't do it.  1:8" twist is borderline for stabilizing these heavies, in the 105/108/110 range.  That's not gonna be a "winner" for them, unless they move it to a 1:7" twist.  Just my opinion on this, from all the info out there right now.  That's kind of like the .243 Win data that I've seen, as far as .243 Win loads, and I've been into that bolt gun for about 6 months now.

We're gonna find out soon, though.  All the BA barrels are 1:7" twist rate.  If this thing performs like it's supposed to, I wouldn't be against building another one, with a Faxon 1:8" barrel, and trying it out.  That would DEFINITELY wring out the twist-rate shiit.  This thing is so new, that nobody knows that's going on, outside of Online Media Representation...  

All of the 1:7 barrel blanks are "gimme your wallet, 4 pints of blood, the title to your car" hehe. Green Mountain might get on the 1:7 game some day. I would think Faxon tests stuff tho :-).

4 hours ago, Radioactive said:

If you ordered it today you’d prob get it before 98 gets his larue upper :hornet:

Hey now...   The MagnetoSpeed showed up today, so I'll rebuild the Valk into a 6 ARC, and shoot this sunday.  Once the LaRue upper ships, it's time to paint, then assemble - a platform that I'll already have the data on.  Who knows - I might be reloading it already by then...   :laffs:

10 more days until the Lee Factory Crimp Die is released.  :thumbup:

11 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Hey now...   The MagnetoSpeed showed up today, so I'll rebuild the Valk into a 6 ARC, and shoot this sunday.  Once the LaRue upper ships, it's time to paint, then assemble - a platform that I'll already have the data on.  Who knows - I might be reloading it already by then...   :laffs:

10 more days until the Lee Factory Crimp Die is released.  :thumbup:

I know they will make custom factory crimp dies. What some folks do is take a case, trim .100 off the end, then send that to them as the sample case. The end result is a "sideways crimp". Works good for cases that headspace on mouth. This is one I made up for 350 legend.  I narrowed the crimp width too. kC4XCkr.jpg

Edited by willbird