• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

98's 6mm ARC

98Z5V

Just now, Matt.Cross said:

I directly asked you about picking me up a M4E1 set from Gun Pusher John very recently. If he has them on hand, yes, I need a set.

I recall that - but what about the rail, brother?...    :popcorn:

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, Matt.Cross said:

What's available? I'm leaning Mod 0-ish...

That's all Precision Reflex, Inc., right there, brother.  PRI.  I can make that happen, too.

Your receivers will be in next week.   :banana:

You are aware that the Mod 0 just don't play, right?  There's alot of other parts that go into one of those things... The PEQ top rail, specific front and rear sights, low scope mounts, etc...  They're no joke, and rack it up quick.  Mod 1s are way cheaper to build, brother.  I'm just sayin'...  

20 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

You are aware that the Mod 0 just don't play, right?  There's alot of other parts that go into one of those things... The PEQ top rail, specific front and rear sights, low scope mounts, etc...  They're no joke, and rack it up quick.  Mod 1s are way cheaper to build, brother.  I'm just sayin'...  

That's a very valid point. I'll give it some more thought, but I didn't have a very strict Mod 0 clone in mind, just a fair approximation.

@Rsquared can fill you in - since he's ass-deep in a Mod 0 Grendel right now.  I can't really advise you properly, as my 5.56 Mod 0 was built about 10 years ago.  I can say that PRI hasn't changed their parts prices, since I built mine, not even a penny.  I just don't know now, what mine cost me to build back then...  It was bucks, though. Those damn Noveske receivers were on sale, but that doesn't really mean anything...   :embarrassed:

You have a Mod1 already, brother, as a badass Grendel.  Just Mod 0 this whole thing.  Don't hold back...   In not instigating or anything...   I'm just sayin'... :popcorn:

Yeah. Keep in mind that between the handguard, PEQ rail, sights......it's gonna be somewhere in the 800 dollar plus range. If not more, depending on where the parts are found.

PRI stuff isn't exactly cheap. BUT, those are the parts that were spec'd for the MK12.

Fuk me.

Fuk you too.

38 minutes ago, Rsquared said:

Yeah. Keep in mind that between the handguard, PEQ rail, sights......it's gonna be somewhere in the 800 dollar plus range. If not more, depending on where the parts are found.

PRI stuff isn't exactly cheap. BUT, those are the parts that were spec'd for the MK12.

Fuk me.

Fuk you too.

Yep, you're both fucked...   :laffs:  Luckily, I fucked myself on that stuff about 10 years ago...:banana:

On 7/25/2020 at 9:56 PM, Matt.Cross said:

I directly asked you about picking me up a M4E1 set from Gun Pusher John very recently. If he has them on hand, yes, I need a set.

Receiver sets are coming in next week, so I'll grab the upper and lower.  M4E1 set.  They have the limited edition Freedom set coming, and John got some of those before they sold out - you want plain M4E1, or the Freedom version?  Here's the markings on it:

Aero Precision M4E1 Stripped Lower Receiver, Special Edition: Freedom - Anodized Black

Aero Precision M4E1 Stripped Lower Receiver, Special Edition: Freedom - Anodized Black

On the magic 6 ARC that I've got going, I have potentially another (almost) 3 months that I could wait for this upper kit.  For the time being, I'm not going to wait to shoot this, and start load development on this cartridge.

So, I ordered some small parts tonight, and I'm gonna rip some hard parts out of the .224 Valk, reassemble a "temporary 6 ARC gun," and get on with this stuff.  I picked up another ToolCraft 6.5 Grendel BCG (The Valk runs a 6.8 SPC bolt/BCG), a gas tube and lo-pro gas block.  I'm not gonna disturb the gas block on the Valk barrel.  I'll pull the barrel, mount the 6 ARC barrel in the Valk upper, and do my initial runs on this gun like that. 

When it's all said and done, I'll just have a spare Grendel BCGsitting around.  With the amount of Grendels on-hand, that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Time to get this shiit going men.  Not waiting forever to get the initial firing, initial data, and load development started... 

I like LaRue stuff a lot, but their wait times suck. My rail was supposed to be 1-3 weeks out, a month ago. At this rate I could easily see your upper kit being months out. It’s gonna be worth it in the end, I’m sure of that, but I can’t blame you for wanting a plan B in the meantime. I’ll be excited to hear your thoughts on it after actually getting some trigger time. 

8 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

On the magic 6 ARC that I've got going, I have potentially another (almost) 3 months that I could wait for this upper kit.  For the time being, I'm not going to wait to shoot this, and start load development on this cartridge.

So, I ordered some small parts tonight, and I'm gonna rip some hard parts out of the .224 Valk, reassemble a "temporary 6 ARC gun," and get on with this stuff.  I picked up another ToolCraft 6.5 Grendel BCG (The Valk runs a 6.8 SPC bolt/BCG), a gas tube and lo-pro gas block.  I'm not gonna disturb the gas block on the Valk barrel.  I'll pull the barrel, mount the 6 ARC barrel in the Valk upper, and do my initial runs on this gun like that. 

When it's all said and done, I'll just have a spare Grendel BCGsitting around.  With the amount of Grendels on-hand, that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Time to get this shiit going men.  Not waiting forever to get the initial firing, initial data, and load development started... 

If you've got an upper to put the barrel on, I've got this Centurion no-cutout FFHG you can have. That'll leave you just the gas block & tube and you've got those laying around somewhere.

9 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Receiver sets are coming in next week, so I'll grab the upper and lower.  M4E1 set.  They have the limited edition Freedom set coming, and John got some of those before they sold out - you want plain M4E1, or the Freedom version?  Here's the markings on it:

Just plain is fine, thanks brother.

12 hours ago, DayWalker said:

I like LaRue stuff a lot, but their wait times suck. My rail was supposed to be 1-3 weeks out, a month ago. At this rate I could easily see your upper kit being months out. It’s gonna be worth it in the end, I’m sure of that, but I can’t blame you for wanting a plan B in the meantime. I’ll be excited to hear your thoughts on it after actually getting some trigger time. 

It's killing me, brother - with what's already sitting here.  I should be shooting this thing already.  That'll start happening, very soon.

10 hours ago, Matt.Cross said:

If you've got an upper to put the barrel on, I've got this Centurion no-cutout FFHG you can have. That'll leave you just the gas block & tube and you've got those laying around somewhere.

I'll just use the Aero handguard that on the Valk right now.  I'm already stealing it's upper receiver and full lower, anyway.  No reason to take it's lower apart.  All I'm basically doing is taking the barrel and BCG out of the Valk, and putting in a new TC Grendel BCG with this 6 ARC barrel.  Change Valk (6.8) mags over to Grendel mags - we're in business.  I don't even have to touch the leveled scope - Won't even take it off the upper.  No need, it'll work just fine for slingin' lead and getting it zero and through the chrono.  After I get about 50 rounds of brass, it's game on for reloading. 

10 hours ago, Matt.Cross said:

Just plain is fine, thanks brother.

You sure?  There's zero price difference.  Your call.:thumbup:

New 6.5G BCG arrives tomorrow.  I'll build this thing this weekend.  Well, I'll rip down and rebuild the Valk, into a 6 ARC.  For the upper, it's just a barrel replacement, so it's nothing to do.  Replace a different BCG, load a different mag...   Done.  Shoot groups, or re-zero a scope to shoot real groups.  That's minor.

If I can get my hands on a MagnetoSpeed V3 before this weekend, I'll shoot the initial shot strings this weekend.  Yeah, when it's 116* here.  FML.

Edited by 98Z5V

So, here's the deal.  I'll rip down the .224 Valk this weekend and rebuild it as a 6 ARC.  That's really just a barrel change on the Valk.  Next Tuesday, the MangetoSpeed V3 gets here, so I'll gather initial zero info and ammo-accuracy info next weekend. 

Midway has some teaser pricing on the Magnetospeed for $339.  Haven't been to Midway in a long time, so I logged in, updated all my info, put that fucker in my cart, and proceeded to checkout.  I check shipping choices on it before I logged in and did all that update shiit-2 days, $20. Cool.  Whilst going through the checkout process, I notice that there's no place to check or select your Method of Shipment...  and it defaulted to a $10.98 shipping charge, with an estimated delivery range of 25~28 August...  You read that right.  So, I back up, edit the cart, and go back through the whole process again, from that screen that tells me 2 days for $20. And I go back in the cart again- and you cannot select an alternate (or ANY) shipping method. 

No problem.  I've already had it with shooting this thing, and I'm NOT waiting until the end of August to start this process - I need to start it when it's hot as fuk here, now, so I can see how much this changes in the next 6 or 7 months, when I can get the cool-weather data.  I don't need to wait until NEXT summer to gather my hot-weather data.  That would be ignorant.

So, I come back here, click the Brownell's Sponsor link (like a responsible .308AR'er should do - get clicks for the forum), and I search the MagetoSpeed V3 in a hard case - $380, my price is $360.  Fuk it, let's go.  I select 2-day for $20, pay $380, and Brownell's will have my chrono here next Tuseday.  And next weekend, I can fire this damn thing already.

Larry Potterfield - you should have had other shipping methods available.  My time is worth way more than the $21 savings you had that device listed for.  Brownell's just kicked your ass again.  :thumbup:

Now that my :soap: is over - I'll be shooting this 6 ARC, at least in temporary form, on the morning of Sunday, August 9th.  I hope it's 115*, too.  Need to grab that shocking "hot-as-fuk" weather data and performance numbers.  Full chrono data and full Kestrel weather data will be reported. 

Next target to knock down is 8lbs of Accurate 2520 powder.  I'm down to about 2lbs of it now, maybe a little more.  I have a source, and it's pretty good right now. 

Alright, I know I've previously posted the graphics of the 6 ARC beating the .308 Win 178 ELD-X, JUST BARELY, and both those just flat SMOKIN' the 6.5 Grendel 123 ELD-M.  I know I posted that graphic... 

I thought that was odd, and I stated it when I saw the numbers from a Kotaboy32 vid that @DayWalker posted.  I dug up the info.   ....aaaaand, my numbers weren't matching those advertised numbers, not even close.  Not in the previous Hornady stuff, and certainly not in the vid that DW posted... 

Well, Hornady has changed their advertised charts now...  There is no more drop chart that has 6.5 Grendel in it, and the previous chart that showed .308 Win 178 ELD-X - that's been replaced with the 168 ELD-M - I think that's because they really know how badass that 178 ELD-X is...  The removal of the Grendel data was to replace it with 5.56 73gr ELD-M...   Well, FUK!  I know I can streeeeeetch out a 5.56 gun, too!  Glad I added the 5.56 Mk12 Mod 1 to the mix, earlier...   :popcorn:   Here's the new chart, from Hornady's website:

6mm ARC ammo comparison

1410997146-6mm-ARC---velocity-comparison-infographic.e31404ac.jpg

1410997145-6mm-ARC---trajectory-comparison-infographic.e31404ac.jpg

1410997173-6mm-ARC---Velocity-vs-Barrel-Length-infographic.ce7ae6f8.png

Shiit's gonna start getting real next weekend, men.  I DGAF how hot it is out... 

Edited by 98Z5V

On 7/25/2020 at 4:45 AM, willbird said:

Growing up as a teenage kid I worked ballistic tables from the back of the bullet makers books, I worshiped at the alter of ballistic coefficient :-). I would hope the VMAX stay around, or a bullet as equally high BC and explosive on small critters :-). The composition of the polymer tip should not make/break the explosive potential we would hope :-).

V-Max has turned into the ELD-X line.  Strictly for hunting, blowing up critters.  The difference is in the composition of the polymer tip, to resist heat - as you mentioned before.  V-Max = ELD-X, but ELD-X has a different polymer tip - and any other projectile improvements that they've made since those days when they developed the original V-Max.

A-Max now equals ELD-M.  The same target round, new improved composition for the polymer tip, plus those projectile improvements to aid a better BC.

Same stuff, men, just a little bit better in the technological advancements.  Don't be afraid to switch over and make a new load. The new projectiles are a little better.   :thumbup:

ELD-X®

DEVASTATING CONVENTIONAL RANGE PERFORMANCE

With high velocity 0-400 yard impact, the bullet continually expands throughout its penetration path. The thick shank of the jacket and high InterLock® ring keep the core and jacket together providing 50-60% weight retention.

I think I ought to stock up on 87 and 75 vmax if they might discontinue them :-). Lifetime supply, crack the slab. There are always Nosler BT as well :-).

Bill

8 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Shiit's gonna start getting real next weekend, men.  I DGAF how hot it is out...

Might have to do it at night and practice them 800 yard night shots. Kill 2 birds with  1 rock. Maybe a 4:30 start time first light trigger pull so you don’t risk heat stroke. I’d go with you but the commute is a little far.