98Z5V

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, dpete said:

I know you're a huge Hornady fan but I just found this.  These are over-runs not blems.

http://www.shootersproshop.com/on-sale/nosler-6mm-105-grain-rdf-hpbt-over-run-500ct.html

I'll grab those, brother - I almost jumped at the last Nosler 105 RDF sale that was posted, but missed it.  Right now, I'm sitting on 700 projectiles for the Hornady 108gr ELD-M for this thing - box here, box there... But, I do want to try those Nosler RDFs out, badly. 

Called today for a status - all he would say is "You're closer!"   :bitchslap::lmao:

With all the craziness, they stopped doing/tracking "build dates" and everything like that.  So there's no schedule to refer to as to where I am in the line of putting my specific parts in a box and shipping them.  I also asked about the Siete, and where that's at - it's been back-burnered for now, until they can catch up with how slammed they are.  Once they dig out of this massive backorder hole that the country has put them in, they'll launch the Siete again.  It's still the same as they told me at SHOT...  10" .308 barrel in a pistol chassis, 20" 6.5C in a rifle chassis, around $1400 for the package, for "early adopters." 

So, basically, 3 months in today, with a "projected" statement of "we've been seeing that package go anywhere between 2 and 4 months..."  That was my update.

I still have a fully functional 6 ARC that will get blasted to hell and back during Fall Shoot, but it might not be sexy painted "Sexual Chocolate" Larue Gun-In-Full for that.  Just don't know.

Time to start working up my handloads, and seeing what I can get from some CCI 41 primers, Hornady brass, and Accurate 2520...  Temps are supposed to cool at the end of next week, and we'll finally be DONE with these 100* days...  Load development coming up.   :thumbup:

5 hours ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

That's up there, kinda, even for an "almost new, almost unused condition" - I'm always trolling for these things, so I'll keep my eye on it.

Thank you, brother - big time.   :thumbup:

• 5 weeks later...

Damn - I've now realized how much the KAC VFGs have dried up - I've been looking the past few days, and the "deals" are gone now, from combat-bring-backs.  GONE.

Shiit on me, already...

So, an update on the LaRue Ultimate Upper kit...

I called today.  Saturday was 4 months, exactly (June 17th order, October 17th was Saturday).  Well, the phone rang, and I expected to hear "You're number 14 in the queue..."  like the past few months.  NOPE!  It rang, and a very nice lady answered immediately. I posed my question in a simple manner - I have a question about order number xxx, and a few other parts that are IN that order. 

Q = First, could it be hopeful that I'll receive this order, entirely, before November 4th? 

A = You are still 1~2 months out on that upper receiver setup.

Q = I have a LT158 mount and MBT-2S trigger coupled inside that order, and I've been told previously that you aren't breaking orders up, and I get that.  Do you have LT-158s in stock, and do you have the MBT-2S triggers in stock, because I'll order an additional mount and trigger right now - because orders aren't being broken up.  I need these two items for a Competition that I'm going to , 5~9 November.

A = The triggers are 2 weeks out right now, but let me check on the 158 mount, can I put you on hold?  (Indeed, that was fine with me).

A2 = We DO have the 158 mounts that you want in stock, and I CAN break the order up for you and ship that mount TODAY.

Q = can you break the trigger off the original order, include it in the new mount-order, bill then now - and maybe I'll get that trigger before Nov 4th?

A = since I'm already breaking the order up, I'll FIND a trigger somewhere in the back, if there is one, and I'll include it with the mount I ship today...

Well, HOT DAMN!!!  My tracking info that I was sent says I'll get the mount and trigger this Friday.  She was SO COOL...  I wanted to ask her for her personal number...  :banana:

The LaRue 6 ARC looks like it will be ready for Spring Shoot 2021 - but I'm not getting that stuff in time for this coming Fall Shoot.  My permanent scope mount will be here, though, and @Armed Eye Doc's trigger will be here...   :thumbup::laffs:

The 6 ARC, as it is, shoots now, though - and it shoots very, VERY WELL...  This is one HELL of a cartridge...

Edited by 98Z5V

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

Hornady Black ammo, 105gr that is available as I post this.

https://www.finfeatherfur.com/hornady-black-ammunition-6mm-arc-105gr-hp-boat-tail-20-rounds/?

I'm holding out, right now Doc.  Waiting on brass.  Going to backorder a bunch.  Seems that nobody around here with a .243 Win bolt gun likes those 108 ELD-Ms, and I snatch a box of them every other week.  I'm up to 900 projectiles.  Sitting on 16lbs of Accurate 2520, that I use for my Grendel loads.  I'm always on the hunt for the (now elusive) CCI 41 primers, though.  I have feelers out all over the place for those things.

I did make another call to LaRue right after the Fall Shoot - that was the 5-month mark.  They told me I had a little bit longer to wait, and stated I was told from the beginning that what I ordered would be a 6-month wait - so I challenged the guy on that.  No, I was told 1~3 months, at one week. I was told 2~4 months, at one month.  I was told 5~6 months, at 4 months.  I've been good about the calls, and bugging them, but December 17th is 6 months, and they'll get a call.

I specifically asked for information on what was holding my shipment up, because DirtBike Tommy ordered a 5.56 18" Ultimate Upper mid September, and got it in 7 weeks...   Told the guy that.  Told him to be straight with me - he told me the Grendel barrel is holding me up...   Shiit, we shot Tommy's 18" 5.56 LaRue last weekend...

We'll see how the December 17th phonecall goes...    

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/26/2020 at 8:54 PM, 98Z5V said:

We'll see how the December 17th phonecall goes...    

No need to make a phonecall tomorrow, December 17th.   I'm betting that guy felt a disturbance in the Force.

Got tracking notification today.  Today marks the end of 6 months, right on the nose.  Tomorrow would have started month 7.  Shipped today, gets delivered to my work Monday, 21 Dec.  Merry Christmas to me, I guess.  Damn near almost too cold to paint it now, but I'll try, while it's all still apart.  I need 70 or better for the temp. The Cerakote that I got for this gun is now  6months old...  This might not work out well, but I'm gonna try it anyway. 

25 minutes ago, shooterrex said:

At least it finally shipped.

You got that right, brother.   I can't believe that they didn't make a run of the Grendel barrels, and have them on the website.  If they're gonna make one, right?...   Run a batch of them.  Can't find them available on the website.  Or, maybe it took some dude ordering ANOTHER Grendel UU Kit last month, and they hit their minimum order of 10 dudes that want the Grendel, so they ran it...   And he'd get his in a month...   :thefinger::laffs:

Just speculating.  Just glad it's on the way now.  That was almost as bad as @Matt.Cross waiting for a Lothar-Walther barrel. 

Edited by 98Z5V

Locals are headed out Sunday morning after Christmas, so the 27th, and I'll confirm scope zero on this beastie.  

The UU Kit came in yesterday to my work, so I got to it after work last night.  First step was tearing down the .224 Valk - that I tore down to make the "temporary 6 ARC" whilst waiting on the LaRue goodies to come in.  I had the lower 5 months ago, so I did a few things to it.  Put the Armalite AR-10 Carbine receiver extension on there, with an Armalite M15 Rifle Spring, and an absolutely beautiful Slash buffer - his version of the VLTOR A5 buffer.  Picked up one of the brand new (then) Battle Arms Development 60* Pro Lite safety, and one of the BAD lightened mag catches.  Got ahold of Alexander Arms and picked up a brand new group of the E-Lander Grendel mags, in the 17rd flavor.  After that, just waited...  and waited...

I ripped that Valk apart to make a functional 6 ARC, and it served me well.  Found the major build problem with the Valk at the time, too - and a big reason I hated that thing from the start.  Eh, it was "cool."   But it was pretty far from COOL!!!   I found out why.

Had two PRI Extended Combat Latches in the gun parts stash, so one of those went right into the Larue charging handle, right away.  Few little things here and there that I really like - that I replaced over the as-sent LaRue parts in the kit. 

As it sits now, here are the LaRue parts that were not used:

IMG_0060.thumb.JPG.5a7fd945f596718464ce9bf848fad707.JPG

Here's how the UU Kit gets to you, from LaRue - very smart, safe packaging:

IMG_0047.thumb.JPG.b5a1e9a349861eef976b9cf38573d1a2.JPG

IMG_0048.thumb.JPG.e9dcad82d5caa65390192bf36d5a4e6d.JPG

The upper, barreled, after I got the ARC barrel out of the Valk hardware:

IMG_0050.thumb.JPG.c604d221758cae1a827c5ddeec6ec75e.JPG

IMG_0051.thumb.JPG.22764197b598e8bd584965bd6702d2ed.JPG

After getting the basic upper together, I knocked out the lower:

IMG_0052.thumb.JPG.addf881dedae4072b31da1cd4268fd44.JPG

Basic gun:

IMG_0053.thumb.JPG.1e4c901317bcd04abf6210ad76fd9456.JPG

Optic remounted - never removed from the LT-158 mount - just removed the mount from the old upper, and put it on the new upper:

IMG_0054.thumb.JPG.e244da7180e337bdd7225ec004c0762b.JPG

BAD Pro Lite 60* safety:

IMG_0055.thumb.JPG.da4b651bb10c0b4dfcfb075312e0c6c6.JPG

BAD fancy mag catch:

IMG_0056.thumb.JPG.509fa605d75e4d9a273c9458ededdd48.JPG

My beloved PRI Extended Combat Latch:

IMG_0057.thumb.JPG.d212a5d9e2a0149fce35475cbfe4a641.JPG

IMG_0058.thumb.JPG.76ef7a38f0a5081d398bd5d6b36f8e30.JPG

Now, I gotta go get that Valk back together...

Edited by 98Z5V

20 minutes ago, sagebrush said:

gun looks great, upper and lower look very well finished. i really like that larue stock and i am going to try one of those 60* safety levers. nice setup

Thank ya, man - I'll get better pics in the daylight, this coming weekend.  For a gun, it's a little work of art, for sure.

Slammed that Valk back together, so I'll re-sight that scope this weekend, too.  I think I still have some of the handloads left, that I came up with.  I know I have some factory 75gr Federal stuff, and another box of the Hornady Match 88gr.  Time to see if it shoots better now - I'm pretty sure it will.

IMG_0061.thumb.JPG.4111c735b82a9d59ca853e3654cd384d.JPG