• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

98's 6mm ARC

98Z5V

32 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

This is all part of the reason, brother.  6.5Grendel for me is the perfect AR15 cartridge.  Then, along comes .224 Valk. Built one, tested it out - it's not bad, but IMHO doesn't smoke a Grendel.  Now, we have this little 6 ARC - very, very close to the 6 Grendel wildcats that were out there.  Just standardized.  I'm in.  I wanna see what the hype is. I do think it'll live up to it's hype, unlike the Valk.  The Valk isn't a failure - but it's no Grendel Killer.  This 6ARC has potential...  

Today is one month since I ordered the LaRue upper kit. They told me 1~3 months, so any day now...  :laffs:

Every time you post they take a long lunch hehe :-).

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, willbird said:

Every time you post they take a long lunch hehe :-).

Ain't that the truth.   I might give a call tomorrow, and offer them a deal... :lmao:

Mid-August is when Lee will have the Factory Crimp DIe ready, and Hornady should have the "custom" die sets ready anyday now - I keep watching that one.  200 loaded Hornady Match rounds ready to go, 300 Hornady 6mm 108gr ELD-M projectiles sitting here...  No brass available yet, though, and no idea when it will be available... 

Patiently waiting...  Kinda...   :popcorn:

Edited by 98Z5V

40 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

I would LOVE to do that - but that's just one-time use, right there, and takes out a wall or two in the process.  I think we should try this in the fall - tannerite on an RC car.  CHEAP RC car, too...  Doesn't need to be fancy - just needs to move tannerite.  :laffs::thumbup:

I’m all in on this idea, it’s fantastic. Who doesn’t want to see an explosive little car roaming the desert? I see this instantly turning into a competition, who can hit the roaming car first. 

3 minutes ago, DayWalker said:

I’m all in on this idea, it’s fantastic. Who doesn’t want to see an explosive little car roaming the desert? I see this instantly turning into a competition, who can hit the roaming car first. 

I'm in - Tannerite targets out there usually make people forget how to shoot...   It turns quite Epic, to see who can hit it first...   :lmao:

I already know what's gonna happen - someone will aim for the tannerite, and shoot the fucking RC car instead...   :laffs:

The day we blew up Drew's Samsung phone - sitting on 1/2lb of tannerite - it was a countdown and free-for-all.  I'm pretty sure that was 2013, and it was on the Marana Shooting Range.  I layed back and watched dirt flying all over the place, people got nervous and closed their eyes and just started jerking triggers, and it was boom, boom,boom all over.  I laughed inside, breathed, settled on the target - and sent that fucker to the moon...  Mk12 Mod 0 IN DA HOUSE!!!     :banana:

Edited by 98Z5V

1 minute ago, 98Z5V said:

I'm in - Tannerite targets out there usually make people forget how to shoot...   It turns quite Epic, to see who can hit it first...   :lmao:

3 minutes ago, DayWalker said:

Paint it like a T-post holding up a target and it will get hit first shot. :lmao:

21 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

The day we blew up Drew's Samsung phone - sitting on 1/2lb of tannerite - it was a countdown and free-for-all.  I'm pretty sure that was 2013, and it was on the Marana Shooting Range.  I layed back and watched dirt flying all over the place, people got nervous and closed their eyes and just started jerking triggers, and it was boom, boom,boom all over.  I laughed inside, breathed, settled on the target - and sent that fucker to the moon...  Mk12 Mod 0 IN DA HOUSE!!!     :banana:

I found the vid, from "The Day The Samsung Galaxy 3 Was Put Out-of-service..."   :laffs:  Skip ahead to 1:10 and wait for it.  I'm telling you, tannerite makes people forget how to shoot... 

12 Jan 2014.

Shiit like this just makes me giggle like an idiot, and realize that I'm lucky.  Made a contact a couple years ago, had no idea who he was when I was talking to him - until much later, when I actually researched who it was that I was talking to at the time.  BOOM!  Blew me away. 

I just made a mag order for this 6 ARC, and I'll only use the Alexander Arms-branded E-Lander mags in this one, so I ordered 5 x 17-rd mags from them.  I just tossed in a note at the bottom that said, "Please tell Mr Reddish that Tom-Ass, Grendel Ninja in Arizona, says hello..."  

Well, Fuk Me!

They actually passed that message ON to him, from a comment on the bottom of an order.  Here's the reply I got back...  Unreal...

226063853_AAMagorder.thumb.png.fc7844b83ceadc765a384e10a03c77cc.png

Yep, that is THE MAN at Alexander Arms.  For 3 years in a row, I've hit him up at SHOT.  First year was pretty crazy.  I just stopped by to tell Alexander Arms "thank you, for making 6.5 Grendel" - and the guy I talked to was interested, based on 4 Grendels and a 5th in planning (the Mod H).  Spilled my guts on what I've seen, and found - and the guy says "I need you to come over here and tell someone else this story..."  and he led me to James Reddish. Spent about 1.5 hours talking to him, on all the stuff I've seen with my Grendels out here in the dirt, and it was an unreal conversation.   No idea who he was until a few weeks after that meeting.  He told me to keep in touch with him, get ahold of him... I didn't even know who I was talking to, at the time...

But, I've been damn sure keeping contact with him...   :hail:

Edited by 98Z5V

7 hours ago, Swiftab said:

Hornady posted the 6mm ARC data.  Sorry if it has been updated but I missed it.

AWESOME POST, MAN!!!   THANK YOU!!!   I honestly stopped checking.  Saving that data right now.  Minor update on the Magic LaRue 6 ARC coming up tonight.  It's just pics and talk - but it's better than nothing...   Baby Steps, brothers, Baby Steps...  :thumbup:

A brand new cartridge that creates a hysteria in the "AR Distance World" is launched for a Major Fake Pendemic and Major Fear Crisis -  with new gun buyers snatching up everything that they didn't know that they needed 20 years ago, and everything the wished they had now...  OUT OF STOCK.  Then, they want every that Ahhh-nold used in the first Terminator, too, on top of that - even the Phased Plasma Rifle in the 40-watt range. 

And we're just here, not fucking around, trying to get a 6 ARC built, and shoot it against a damn 6.5 Grendel and a .224 Valk, and maybe a Mk11 in .308 Win. 

And we can't do shiit...   It's frustrating, but it's the world we're living in now.  It's the weirdest shiit I've ever seen in the gun world, and that includes all the years of bullshiit after SandyHook.

1 hour ago, 98Z5V said:

And we can't do shiit...   It's frustrating, but it's the world we're living in now.  It's the weirdest shiit I've ever seen in the gun world, and that includes all the years of bullshiit after SandyHook.

That’s truth right there. I can’t believe the sheer amount of shitt that is still out of stock. I rejoined big daddy unlimited earlier this month, their website is no bullpoopy 2/3 or more sold out. Seems like everything is hard to find. 

On the waiting side of life, like you said, it sucks and we can’t do a damn thing about it. My BCG should be here any day now, but zero word on my barrel or LaRue rail. It’s killing me at this point not being able to build this fuker yet. Got the lower built up Sunday, so that’s good to go. Just need these damn upper parts I’m waiting on to ship. 

20 minutes ago, DayWalker said:

On the waiting side of life, like you said, it sucks and we can’t do a damn thing about it.

It's killing me, brother, more than you know.  I should be shooting this fucker by now.

Here's where we sit, since the last update. 5 new Alexander Arms 17-rd Grendel mags for this one, that will be painted with the gun, matching the gun, the Athlon Ares BTR Gen 2 HD scope at 2.5~15 came in, and I pulled the MagPul FDE M-LOK bipod for this one.  There is literally ONE THING LEFT TO SHIP for me to shoot this fucker - and that's the LaRue Ultimate Upper Kit.  Everything else that I need is in that order...  With the LT-158 mount.  FML, man...   :bitchslap:

P1080794.thumb.JPG.469a1d23fe13f8f89196c5a45cc34420.JPG

6 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

It's killing me, brother, more than you know.  I should be shooting this fucker by now.

Here's where we sit, since the last update. 5 new Alexander Arms 17-rd Grendel mags for this one, that will be painted with the gun, matching the gun, the Athlon Ares BTR Gen 2 HD scope at 2.5~15 came in, and I pulled the MagPul FDE M-LOK bipod for this one.  There is literally ONE THING LEFT TO SHIP for me to shoot this fucker - and that's the LaRue Ultimate Upper Kit.  Everything else that I need is in that order...  With the LT-158 mount.  FML, man...   :bitchslap:

P1080794.thumb.JPG.469a1d23fe13f8f89196c5a45cc34420.JPG

I hear what your saying. I tried to order a new trigger housing for 3rd gen Glock 9mm fukkin 9 dollar part cant find em in stock anywhere. Fukkin 9 dollar piece of plastic and you can’t find it anywhere.

How much time left on that larue upper? I went through the same agonizing wait on my barrel from them. Almost as bad as waiting for a stamp - no it’s worse cause you know going in the govt is gonna suck.

That data is limited to 52,000 due to being AR15 based. Put that in a bolt gun and stoke it to 62,000 and I bet it will run to the magic 3050 that many folks feel is where 6mm really starts to hum at 1000 yards. Looking like CFE223 and LeverEvolution might be "the" powders maybe. it is still doing really really good out of a 12" barrel. A 12" pencil setup built light from head to tail would be a very interesting setup.

Bill

Edited by willbird

15 hours ago, Radioactive said:

How much time left on that larue upper? I went through the same agonizing wait on my barrel from them. Almost as bad as waiting for a stamp - no it’s worse cause you know going in the govt is gonna suck.

They told me 1~3 months, and it's been 5 weeks now.  Any day...   I keep telling myself... I tried to call them Monday, but I was #17 in the queue, so I hung up. Tried calling today, but the phone lines were "closed for employee training" on Tues/Weds.  Tomorrow, I guess.  If it's gonna be the Grendel barrel that holds up the shipment - hell, they can send me that later...  Whenever...

12 hours ago, willbird said:

That data is limited to 52,000 due to being AR15 based. Put that in a bolt gun and stoke it to 62,000 and I bet it will run to the magic 3050 that many folks feel is where 6mm really starts to hum at 1000 yards. Looking like CFE223 and LeverEvolution might be "the" powders maybe. it is still doing really really good out of a 12" barrel. A 12" pencil setup built light from head to tail would be a very interesting setup.

Bill

This 6 ARC was designed as a gas-gun cartridge, but I'll bet that bolt gun chamberings indeed do come to market.  If it does all it's supposed to do, I'll pick up a bolt gun for it, if the twist rate is what it's supposed to be. I'll bet on a Ruger American bolt gun as one of the first ones out of the gate - maybe even a Mossberg.

From looking at that Hornady data closer, they actually list Accurate 2520 for this round.  That's my go-to powder for 6.5G, so that has me excited. I knew that was gonna be a good powder for this one, because it's so damn good in Grendel loading for me. I liked seeing that data listed.  :thumbup:

CFE223 was supposed to be THE SHIIT for Valkyrie, but my initial loadings weren't spectacular - I'll play with that one more, and see if I can get it to run great with that powder.  If not -then the Valk gets some experimental loads with the 2520. 

That light 12" pencil setup that you're talking about - that's just damn near like my 12.5" Grendel, and that thing is a winner.  Hands-down just badass. 

Edited by 98Z5V

1 hour ago, 98Z5V said:

That light 12" pencil setup that you're talking about - that's just damn near like my 12.5" Grendel, and that thing is a winner.  Hands-down just badass. 

A guy could two just to balance out his load :-). arm insurgents of opportunity, good stuff like that :-).

Hornady did say ...

"This 6mm ARC reloading data is intended for use in gas guns (e.g. AR-15’s) and kept to a maximum pressure of 52,000 psi. Do not exceed the maximum charges. Separate data will be provided for bolt action firearms."

case capacity is really close to 6ppc from what I am reading.

Edited by willbird

Here's a bigger version of that Hornady Load Data for this cartridge.  I see promising numbers, here, and I'll talk about them more later...

You'll need to click it 3 times, to make it bigger - but it's bigger, and readable...  :thumbup:  Keep clicking this, and it'll GROW...  :laffs:

149746594_6ARCLoadData1.thumb.png.45e1c1876e79b65f6f9ef699fb5228f9.png

Something new that Hornady has never done before - is the listings of muzzle velocity for barrel length - and I'll get into that more, later.  My Grendel numbers are beating this chart already - but I'm above Hornady's listed max on my Grendel loads...  

Due to the G1 and G7 drag model jumps, I will CERTAINLY be playing with some of these new 110gr A-Tip Match projectiles, too.  I have 200 loaded rounds of 108gr ELD-Ms ready to go, and 300 projectiles of the same - so I'll work the gun out with this stuff - and I'll switch over to those A-Tip Match projectiles.  The difference between the two is pretty staggering... 

Edited by 98Z5V

6 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

A-Tip Match projectiles.  The difference between the two is pretty staggering... 

So is the price. I looked at them but wasn’t convinced I’d gain anything except a higher budget in the 260. Granted I didn’t have any load numbers to look at either. Have you tried the A-tip in either the grendel or 260?

9 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Here's a bigger version of that Hornady Load Data for this cartridge.  I see promising numbers, here, and I'll talk about them more later...

You'll need to click it 3 times, to make it bigger - but it's bigger, and readable...  :thumbup:  Keep clicking this, and it'll GROW...  :laffs:

149746594_6ARCLoadData1.thumb.png.45e1c1876e79b65f6f9ef699fb5228f9.png

and I'll switch over to those A-Tip Match projectiles.  The difference between the two is pretty staggering... 

The Science on those projectiles is pretty interesting too, I'm sure you know but here we go :-). At sustained high velocity like we get if we put some stank on a bullet and it retains it due to a high BC older design polymer bullets the tips heated up and they lost BC. The stated BC was "true" but not true in many real world conditions. I was looking at the 90 grain ELD X compared to the 87 Vmax (both .243) the Vmax is .400 BC, and the ELD X is .409. The Vmax probably still wins for varmints 50 lbs and under. yes the ballistics by the inch are cool. The test gun was actually a "gun" not a universal receiver so maybe the velocities by inch are calculated with Quickload ?? In my experience Hornady is pretty good about answering questions :-).

16 hours ago, Radioactive said:

Have you tried the A-tip in either the grendel or 260?

In the Grendel, I'm running the 123gr ELD-M projectiles, G1 is .506 and G7 is .255.  Sectional Density (SD) on those projectiles is .255.  Those are very respectable numbers, and that projectiles has served me very, very well thus far.  The closest I can get, and the first A-Tip that they make is the 135gr.  It's numbers are unreal, with a G1 at .637 and G7 at .321, SD is .277.  That's agiant improvement over the 123 ELD-M, but I just don't know if that's too much projo weight to run in the Grendel, and get the speeds I like, and I'm getting with the 123s. 

On the .260 Rem, I've started that gun on 147gr ELD-Ms, and they are stellar through my gun. I have that load down to a science, literally.  That's a G1 of .697 and a G7 of .351.  The nearest A-Tip is a 153gr, with a G1 of .704 and a G7 of .355.  That right there is not enough of a difference to make me change to a 153gr A-Tip in the .260. Not worth it to me.

13 hours ago, willbird said:

The Science on those projectiles is pretty interesting too, I'm sure you know but here we go :-). At sustained high velocity like we get if we put some stank on a bullet and it retains it due to a high BC older design polymer bullets the tips heated up and they lost BC. The stated BC was "true" but not true in many real world conditions. I was looking at the 90 grain ELD X compared to the 87 Vmax (both .243) the Vmax is .400 BC, and the ELD X is .409. The Vmax probably still wins for varmints 50 lbs and under. yes the ballistics by the inch are cool. The test gun was actually a "gun" not a universal receiver so maybe the velocities by inch are calculated with Quickload ?? In my experience Hornady is pretty good about answering questions :-).

That research that Hornady conducted on that was the whole reason they're discontinuing the older V-Max line, and moving everything over to the ELD-M line - the ELD-M tips are a different polymer for the tips, and don't give it up with the speed-heat. 

Interestingly enough, the Hornady "V-Max/A-Max" 750gr .50 Cal projectile...   Was the first A-Tip.  Years and years ago.  What they found out with that particular  "V-Max/A-Max" is why we even have the A-Tip now.  That was the first A-Tip.  :thumbup:

https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/rifle/50-bmg-750-gr-a-max-match#!/

lg_989908270%2050%20BMG%20750gr%20A-MAX.

I'm a Hornady Whore, what can I say...   :laffs:

Edited by 98Z5V

Growing up as a teenage kid I worked ballistic tables from the back of the bullet makers books, I worshiped at the alter of ballistic coefficient :-). I would hope the VMAX stay around, or a bullet as equally high BC and explosive on small critters :-). The composition of the polymer tip should not make/break the explosive potential we would hope :-).

Hornady is right on time with their projection of the reloading dies - I picked mine up today.   :thumbup:

P1080799.thumb.JPG.0017766faff8ca67b5cd0f11f265cc2a.JPG

Another 3 weeks, and I should have my Lee Factory Crimp Die.  After that, I just need a gun to shoot, and develop loads...   :laffs:   The LaRue upper could take some time.  I hope they surprise me.

@Matt.Cross, I think you indicated earlier that you might want to build a new small-frame AR, for some reason.  I must ask, for personal reasons - what receiver sets were you looking at, to build this new gun from - if I didn't misunderstand you, in some way.

I'm just curious, brother.  Aero M4E1, by chance?...  :popcorn:

Just looking out for parts for you, brother...   :thumbup:  You looking at this stuff, man?...  

Aero Precision M4E1 Threaded Receiver Set - Anodized Black APCS100177S

What length handguard, and what type?  I'm guessing a 12" handguard, but full top rail, partial top rail?...   :popcorn:

Something like an ATLAS R-ONE, full top rail?

AR15 ATLAS R-ONE M-LOK Handguard

Or the ATLAS S-ONE, partial top rail?

AR15 ATLAS S-ONE M-LOK Handguard

Just wondering, brother.  That's all.

Edited by 98Z5V

6 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

@Matt.Cross, I think you indicated earlier that you might want to build a new small-frame AR, for some reason.  I must ask, for personal reasons - what receiver sets were you looking at, to build this new gun from - if I didn't misunderstand you, in some way.

I'm just curious, brother.  Aero M4E1, by chance?...  :popcorn:

Just looking out for parts for you, brother...   :thumbup:

I directly asked you about picking me up a M4E1 set from Gun Pusher John very recently. If he has them on hand, yes, I need a set.