98's 6mm ARC

98Z5V

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I love the place. But NOT this time of year. Triple digits plus (I don't give a rats ass about the low humidity) is just way too much.

Now that being said, lately here around the DC area, low 90's with humidity ranging from 70 to 85%, has been pretty brutal. But nothing like 117. Fuk that noise.

So much for the refrain "Yeah, but it's a dry heat!" I've driven across the desert (1968, in a 435 cu in. Corvette) which was fukking intolerable. The fact you can do this at all is phenomenal to me. Hats off to you. But I don't want to be there. I'll wait until it drops down into something resembling tolerable.

5 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Had some updates for this thread, and more Baby Steps - but I left the camera at work, after a crazy afternoon of Warranty Pics to submit.  My bad.

Update tomorrow.  :thumbup:

Blame it on the heat. Living in a blast furnace can affect your mental state as well as suck all the energy from your body.

15 hours ago, Radioactive said:

Blame it on the heat. Living in a blast furnace can affect your mental state as well as suck all the energy from your body.

I fixed it today, brother.  Grabbing pics as soon as I cut the grass - once the sun goes down.  Yes, I have grass - and it sucks to have grass here.  THAT is a full-time job just by itself...  :bitchslap:

Alright, it’s official gents, the race is on now baby. Just ordered a BCG and BA 18” @98Z5V pattern barrel (they call it the SPR profile, fuk that, it will forever be the 98 profile in my book). 

@Rsquared threw me a solid ass care package, Geissele SSA-E trigger and an Armalite LPK (of course it’s Armalite, we all know he wouldn’t even look at something else). Got an A2 stock kit arriving Thursday, so should have the lower completed this weekend. 

At that point, just waiting on the Barrel and Rail to arrive so I can assemble the fuker! I emailed BA about getting the barrel direct from them, they checked my drivers license and since it didn’t read @98Z5V, referred me to Brownells website to order it :laffs:. Hopefully that won’t turn into waiting a month to get a barrel. 

25 minutes ago, DayWalker said:

I emailed BA about getting the barrel direct from them, they checked my drivers license and since it didn’t read @98Z5V, referred me to Brownells website to order it :laffs:.

Hey, man, being me has perks.  When Clint throws a keg party at his SHOT Show Booth, and you drink him out of beer - as WELL AS telling cool stories...  you tend to get some BA Perks.

I will say this, though - it ain't easy being me...   :thumbup::lmao:

Once you're able to give them a solid review on a barrel, that you bought from insider information - and you got it before it wasn't even in the parts database...  and confuse the FUK out of the lady on the phone...  and wait 15 minutes for her to track someone down that even knows it exists...   Then you better give them a SOLID review on it.

Oh, and you get the thing for $150, and it arrives with their pinned gas block already on it...   That was the 16" Grendel SPR barrel.  Go check the reviews on that one.  It's mine.  :thumbup:

So, here's more Baby Steps.  Recoil system is solved for now, until I shuffle recoil system parts and make this one an "equal" to the other two guns it really has to fight with.  Safety selctor is done, and it holds mags now.  I ordered 5 new 17-rd E-Lander Grendel mags from Alexander Arms last night (AA-marked mags), and got shipping notification today - they're all gonna be painted to match the gun.  I'll know right away "which Grendel mags" are directly for this gun.  Paint waits for LaRue to ship my UU Kit...  Once all that is in, Cerakote happens.  Custom blend on the Cerakote, too.  It's gonna be my "Sexual Chocolate" blend...  :banana:

So, grass is cut...  :thumbup:

P1080775.thumb.JPG.a240fcd93c22c7a24be2824c3631396c.JPG

Here's where we are - lower can hold mags now, and the safety is in.  More on that in a minute.  Barrel sitting here, and I tossed on a .308 cal A2 to make sure the threads and crown don't get messed up.  That's a placeholder, and preserving threads/crown only.

P1080776.thumb.JPG.a055341f810c8819773b183b64d9d968.JPG

6ARC Hornady ammo is SO SEXY!!!...   :banana::hump:

P1080777.thumb.JPG.a5f635434fb12b336d06b78ddd60b1f6.JPG

@Slash - You do one FINE VLTOR A5 Buffer, man!!!  More on this later, but DAMN is this buffer just a work of art...  :hail:

P1080778.thumb.JPG.d8f95eae797d5066c4492432a55a2acd.JPG

Now, to the safety.  Battle Arms Development came up with a brand new way to make their safety, and I used it on Industry Range Day at SHOT - and it rocks.  It's the new BADASS-PRO, but this one is different.  It's the BADASS PRO, but it's the "LITE" version.  You can set this up for 0~90 degrees, or flip it and run 0~60 degrees.  This one is set up for 60 degrees.  Damn, is this a nice safety - and I have a TON of their originals, going back to May 2010.  This thing rocks.  :thumbup::hail:

P1080779.thumb.JPG.a9f4c766526085a49777ad4e9d41c4ea.JPG

P1080780.thumb.JPG.bd42bcf929cca5ff68342f53a0e19245.JPG

Last but not least for now - the Battle Arms Development Enhanced Mag Catch.  I'll get a LaRue mag catch with the UU Kit, and if it's better than this, I'll put it in.  If it's not, then this stays.  I figured I'd not fuk about, since this is gonna be a LaRue gun - it better be as cool as I can make it. 

P1080781.thumb.JPG.cdcb164a8d6e28d3f9e675ab5a590d52.JPG

2 minutes ago, SmoothAction said:

Dayum! You need to vacay up north somewhere! 

I just deal with it.  It's only 3 months out of the year, and the rest is a Shooter's Heaven here.  Summer is bullshiit, so you do what you gotta do, and just get it done.  It was 108* tonight when I cut the grass...   It sucked, but it is what it is, here.

On 7/14/2020 at 8:24 PM, 98Z5V said:

I just deal with it.  It's only 3 months out of the year, and the rest is a Shooter's Heaven here.  Summer is bullshiit, so you do what you gotta do, and just get it done.  It was 108* tonight when I cut the grass...   It sucked, but it is what it is, here.

you have 15 minutes of grass. I hate my 1.5 hours but when it dries up( now) im good to grill. 

5 hours ago, sketch said:

you have 15 minutes of grass. I hate my 1.5 hours but when it dries up( now) im good to grill. 

Mines about 2-3 hours now that we have a zero turn took much longer with the other rider. I cringe when it rains cause I swear I can see the grass growing. I bought the zero turn for the wife so she could mow a little each day only prob is every time she mows the yard gets smaller until I have to fire up the tractor with the bush hog and beat the overgrowth back some. At least I don’t have to spend every off day working on the yard. I hate mowing cause it looks good for all of about a day (seems like 15 min) then starts looking like it needs mowed again.

On 7/14/2020 at 8:24 PM, 98Z5V said:

You gotta get one of those roomba mowers....the little robotic bastards. You can sit inside with a beer and watch it go. 

33 minutes ago, DNP said:

You gotta get one of those roomba mowers....the little robotic bastards. You can sit inside with a beer and watch it go. 

Now you know he of all people can’t get one of those. He’ll end up on the news for either attaching a rifle to it or turning it into a roaming claymore mine :lmao:

I tripped over this last night :-). Getting the absolute most out of the small frame platform really makes a lot of sense :-). A friend who was a local gunsmith was always a 6mm caliber devotee, the issue hack in the 80's was lack of consistently good bullets. .224" and .308" bullets were hands down the most accurate bullets made. Once that issue was resolved things started to happen :-). The neatest thing that to me kind of starts to happen with 6mm and smaller high BC bullets is when you are in the open the bullet flight noise is very easily heard, as well as bullet impacts into meat :-). The 6mm ARC should be REALLY good at that even non supressed :-). 

11 hours ago, DayWalker said:

Now you know he of all people can’t get one of those. He’ll end up on the news for either attaching a rifle to it or turning it into a roaming claymore mine :lmao:

I would LOVE to do that - but that's just one-time use, right there, and takes out a wall or two in the process.  I think we should try this in the fall - tannerite on an RC car.  CHEAP RC car, too...  Doesn't need to be fancy - just needs to move tannerite.  :laffs::thumbup:

10 hours ago, willbird said:

I tripped over this last night :-). Getting the absolute most out of the small frame platform really makes a lot of sense :-). A friend who was a local gunsmith was always a 6mm caliber devotee, the issue hack in the 80's was lack of consistently good bullets. .224" and .308" bullets were hands down the most accurate bullets made. Once that issue was resolved things started to happen :-). The neatest thing that to me kind of starts to happen with 6mm and smaller high BC bullets is when you are in the open the bullet flight noise is very easily heard, as well as bullet impacts into meat :-). The 6mm ARC should be REALLY good at that even non supressed :-). 

This is all part of the reason, brother.  6.5Grendel for me is the perfect AR15 cartridge.  Then, along comes .224 Valk. Built one, tested it out - it's not bad, but IMHO doesn't smoke a Grendel.  Now, we have this little 6 ARC - very, very close to the 6 Grendel wildcats that were out there.  Just standardized.  I'm in.  I wanna see what the hype is. I do think it'll live up to it's hype, unlike the Valk.  The Valk isn't a failure - but it's no Grendel Killer.  This 6ARC has potential...  

Today is one month since I ordered the LaRue upper kit. They told me 1~3 months, so any day now...  :laffs: