• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

1st Post, Hey Y'all!

StvHlhn

Here we go, the FNG. lol.  I am so new to LR308 I dont have a complete rifle as yet but am a quick study.  Ive started with a Criterion 20" barrel and picked up an Aero Precision M5 upper, UPK and LPK, Guntec high profile 15" HG and an ambi CH and safety.  I am thinking about an A2 stock but not fixated on one if I find a 6 position I like Like a Rodgers maybe.  Criterion states they use Fulton Armory bolts to head space so thinking about that as well.

I may have decided to build at the wrong time or the right depending on how you look at it.  Wrong because I cant find an Aero M5 lower anywhere and Aero can give me no estimate when they may start production.  I was pretty bummed by their CS reply.  Right time because of the insanity going on.  Dont get me wrong, I am not depending on this new rifle project for HD, I have plenty of that in the safe.  After building 10 Ar15's its time to move up to big brother.  I know there are several caliber choices with the larger platform but I am sticking with .308 because I could possibly bum some ammo from our troops if things get bad.  I have several 5.56's as well.

So there ya go, the short intro.  Looking for information and advice and a long term association with fellow enthusiasts.

Steve Hoolihan

22 minutes ago, StvHlhn said:

Ive started with a Criterion 20" barrel and picked up an Aero Precision M5 upper, UPK and LPK, Guntec high profile 15" HG and an ambi CH and safety. 

Cancel the handguard order before it ships.  Call them tomorrow morning, first thing, AZ-time, because that's where they're at.

All Aero Precision M5 receivers are "DPMS High Profile."  ALL GunTec large-frame rails are "DPMS Low Profile."

Wrong handguard for the receivers you bought.

Oh, and, Welcome Aboard.  :thumbup:

19 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Cancel the handguard order before it ships.  Call them tomorrow morning, first thing, AZ-time, because that's where they're at.

All Aero Precision M5 receivers are "DPMS High Profile."  ALL GunTec large-frame rails are "DPMS Low Profile."

Wrong handguard for the receivers you bought.

Oh, and, Welcome Aboard.  :thumbup:

Wel fuk and I thought I was being careful to match high profile items.  I will hafta contact DDT and see if I can return it.  Too many variations from too many manufacturers in this platform for a newbe from mil spec AR15's.

"I may have decided to build at the wrong time or the right depending on how you look at it. " I heard that the best time to start saving for retirement is last year and that the second best time is right now.  It seems like the same thing applies to AR builds.

I'm still building, but I'm pretty sure that my 80% arms lower will work with the Aero upper, and the LPK definitely does, if you want to add some milling to your build.  There should be a bunch of options though, as you have discovered, the DPMS "standard" requires substantially more investigation than the AR-15 standard.

Also, welcome from Illinois.