• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New frrom Idaho

Nam62

Hello everyone I am new to the AR-10 world. Just picked up a Palmetto PA-10 and shot it yesterday had a problem 

with my red dot sight. It would not adjust. El Cheapo that I had laying around. Mite have to steal the Eotech off my

Ruger SR 556. 

Sketch I had no problems with U.S military rounds I had on hand. My handloads were short stroking.  The case is G.I 79' with 47 gr. of 4320 & 150 gr. FMJ.  The cases all looked the same as the GI loads.

Like I said this was the first time out. Going to try H-414 & Win 760 before I buy other powder. IF I can find some!! Supply of powder is bad. It's the wrong time to experiment. But I'm retired.

Shooterrex Great to meet a fellow ASAer.  Was from Dec 60 to Dec 63.  9th ASA Aug 61 to Jan 62. @ Clark AFB, PI & 3rd RRU Saigon & Nha Trang. Jan.62 June 62. Airborne DF From June 62. till Nov. 62. My MOS was 286.1  Than back 

to Fort Devans  till Discharge. Being Airborne was new I talked The Captain into flying a few missions to find out how it worked. After that I went on all the TDY with them in the CoPilot seat.

2 of the photos I took.

L-20 Leftside.jpg

L-20 Right Side.jpg

4 hours ago, Nam62 said:

Shooterrex Great to meet a fellow ASAer.  Was from Dec 60 to Dec 63.  9th ASA Aug 61 to Jan 62. @ Clark AFB, PI & 3rd RRU Saigon & Nha Trang. Jan.62 June 62. Airborne DF From June 62. till Nov. 62. My MOS was 286.1  Than back 

to Fort Devans  till Discharge. Being Airborne was new I talked The Captain into flying a few missions to find out how it worked. After that I went on all the TDY with them in the CoPilot seat.

2 of the photos I took.

L-20 Leftside.jpg

L-20 Right Side.jpg

We used twin engine King airs to do df.

Damn.  You guys are both MI.  I knew right away on Nam62, when he posted that patch.  Rex, that shocked my, 05D, huh?   Pretty damn cool, guys.  I signed up as a 98C, SIGINT Analyst, and realized real quick that I hated Intel Geeks.  I gravitated my way towards Infantry and SF units, and stayed my happy ass in those as much as I could.  One tour I couldn't avoid was "another trip back to Korea" and I ended up in 3rd MI BN (AE).  These days its a Beechcraft RC-12, that looks like a flying porcupine, and the DeHaviland Dash 7.

All told, between 4 tours and 10 TDYs in Korea, it's eaten up 6 solid years of my life. 73 months, to be exact.

upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/...

When we first got the Dash 7s, they were painted exactly like this...

image.jpeg.496fcd13fc40512b63b56133097f068a.jpeg

These days, I've heard that they paint them different.

Edited by 98Z5V

26 minutes ago, shooterrex said:

You must have forgot about both of us being at Ft Devens in a past post. Not at the same time but same post that's where I went to AIT.

I did forget that...   :bitchslap:  But, I recall now!  Two schools for me at Devens, one was a "tactical training course" for assignments to field units, as an intel dude.  Radios, generators, tents, 292 antennas - that stuff.  Next time there was not long before they shut it down, BNCOC in '91.

Shooterrex you where 14 year later. It all started withe the De Havilland Beaver. 

98Z5V that ship looks like a Porcupine with all those antennas!

Happy to meet both of you. Too bad we don't live closer to each other.

Here is another photo of a A-1 Sky Raider going past us. We didn't let Saigon Radar know we would be flying up on the Cambodian border. Saigon radar reported 2 unidentified aircraft where diving on Soc Trung Marine base.. We were on the downwind leg coming in for a landing when he went by us. I taking pictures of Soc Trung and snapped this photo...

1512618235_A-1AlmostShotusDown.thumb.jpg.7f51281f7e39262469ef6def9251e573.jpg

A1 Skyraider? That was my squadron. In 1968, VA-25 was the birds sent out on attack runs. But it turned out, the first MIG-21 shot down was by one of our old piston-engined birds. The pilot was just rolling along when a heat-seeking missile flew past him. He looked in the mirror (yes, the old A1 had mirrors), saw the MIG, cut his throttle, threw out the speed brake and went to full flaps, opened his canopy and stuck out an arm and a leg, and produced skidmarks in the sky. He watched the MIG do the same thing. Well, the MIG couldn't go as slow. The MIG flew past our Skyraider, whereupon the pilot closed the speed brake and the flaps, firewalled the engine. and blew him out of the sky.

The A1 ended up being the RESCAP aircraft. No jets seemed able to touch them, but everyone they shot at ended up in the drink.

I don't know what the A1 Skyraiders mission was in 1962. A guess would be ground support. 

When I was in Nha Trang the VNAF was training with the T-28. (That's another story)

When we were TDY in Soc Trong a VNAF pilot crashed on Landing. The pilot walked away. He took out several Marine Corp. Helicopters Crossed the road and took out a woman walking down the road.

The photo is the aftermath of the crash that injured the woman.  I don't know if she lived or died!

Note: See the flag on the tail of the A1 Skyrader

938989971_A-1SkyraderCrash.thumb.jpg.584e325e26c7116e19dab9fd2de5e072.jpg