• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Dirty can hurt.

I do this on my own  accord so don't  follow my practices. (Disclaimer) I despise cleaning  guns to my own demise.. I'd rather buy a new one. My sorry ass addiction lol. Keeps me honest, but this test of time comes with a consequence. I just had to find that edge. I wish I had video  or pics of before, rather than after. But here is the results  

I assembled a 9mm AR pistol  and acquired a nice pile of ammo. So the build and test is when will it fail. I'll leave out the build components because it's an ammo issue. Dirty cheep ammo. Ñow worth 600$ I paid 169$ pre demic per 1k rnds. 

I had many rounds of dirty fun up and until fail. Cci 115 gn practice ammo. This was and is great ammo. Reloadable brass.. hits the 100 yd steel in a 50 or 30 rnd glock mag fun.. pin pin ping. But my test was fulfilled unexpectedly. I  figured it would  not eject and or feed properly. Felt sluggish on a 33 rnd mag so I knew something  was happening. At this point I have almost 2k rnds. I was inspired to shoot till the failure and was not let down.  But don't try this at home. 

I Was able to fire 5 more rounds and had to drop the mag and clear a spent case.. fired 2 more and the same but different  mag. Cleared  and had a hand purchase on the mag. Fired one more , and a second.  That's when he knew he fucked up...  my hand and face took some brass but my eye pro I think is key. I'll  clean my tools more often now. 😌 

20211018_225319.jpg

20211018_225311.jpg

20211018_225259.jpg

20211018_225248.jpg

wow , im just the opposite of you , i cant put a gun to sleep without cleaning it , not to say it will not sit on the bench for 2 or 3 days until i can get to it ,but it doesnt go back in the safe until i clean and oil

here is why , i have a early 416 code Poly AKS bought decades ago , i shot it and and put it away , shot it some more put it away , continued then moved on to a new rifle or something , but the next time i pulled it out it was covered in rust , to this day that rust reoccurs on that rifle no matter if i put it to sleep oiled heavy or not , little rust here , there and couple decades later it has light pitting , once rust takes hold ,you can knock it back all you want , there will be no stopping it beyond a full strip down and refinish , that rifle is living proof , the ammo was suppose to be non corrosive , not sure if the primers were and thats where it came from , but it was enough to make a grown man cry , chrome lined bore so all good there , but to make matters worse it is a rare double import marked rifle , it carries the import Kengs , and RAI both , no idea why

22 hours ago, micmacman said:

wow , im just the opposite of you , i cant put a gun to sleep without cleaning it , n

We're not all like that.  Run it until it doesn't shoot.  That's what happens in combat, more than not - find the failure point.

This happened here - glad you're ok, Roman.  That's a fucked up failure, right there.

I did my time, cleaning guns until inspection-ready - just from a routine semi-annual qual.  I've also done the "you have 25k rounds that have to be fired before Monday morning...  What's your plan?..."   announced on the Friday afternoon...  

Meticulous guns is bullshiit, unless you're making money shooting.  Dirty guns run.  Finding that limit is the key.  Roman excelled at that one, with this one.  :hail:

7 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

I did my time, cleaning guns until inspection-ready - just from a routine semi-annual qual.  I've also done the "you have 25k rounds that have to be fired before Monday morning...  What's your plan?..."   announced on the Friday afternoon...  

Always wondered what all that inspection cleaning did to parts longevity, I know I used some rather harsh cleaning methods in order to get to the bar first.

That 25K round comment brings a memory into focus. Here I thought those marathon sessions at the range were all about training when it was really bean counters making their numbers work. The first trip I was clueless..........."we're going to the range, cool, gonna be an easy day"..............It takes a special person to turn shooting a pallet of ammo into a torture session for both firearm and person. Talk about building muscle memory :hail:

52 minutes ago, Cunuckgaucho said:

To truly find a limit one must exceed it, till then it's just theoretical  :soap:

Glad you're here to update us Roman :thumbup:

That was my point, exactly - if you don't push it to failure, you'll never know how far you can really push it.  If you never blow the engine up  - you'll never know when to back out a little.  Expensive, but important lesson - or "test", depending on how you look at it.  I've built shiit to blow up - find the failure point.  It's pretty exciting at times...  but it's knowledge that you can't get any other way...  :laffs:  You calculate the "money involved" before you ever take on a project like that, so it's all good - when it goes...  Nitrous backfires, and what they can do, are the best "failures..."  :lmao:

It's the ONLY way to truly test something, really.  You need to take it to the point of failure.  Otherwise, you're just guessing.

Edited by 98Z5V

This was a better test for my take,  it was real not forced as I've tested before. The only blood loss was a scratch on my pinky.   Yes I agree anything bigger, I would have paid more blood but I do know my limit ish..  cci is good ammo again for the right price. The set up of my pcc may have contributed to the filth but that has to be tested. Sketch lives! 🍻🍻🇺🇸

• 1 month later...