• Visit Sportsmans Guide

Road trip 2021 PNW

shepp

10 days
4778 miles 
8 states
2 national parks 
Countless national forests 
Crossed the continental divide, 45th parallel, snake river, Columbia river, Missouri River, Mississippi River

And most importantly knocked off my last two states west of the Mississippi.

Southern Wisconsin to Billings MT, Billings to Spokane, Spokane to Ashford Wa (mount Rainer). Spokane to Cannon Beach Or. cannon beach to Oxford OR. Oxford to Sheridan WY, Sheridan to home 

I went thru Yellowstone Friday, I’ve never wanted to go to Yellowstone too many people, but it’s the off season so I thought I’d drive threw. We got stuck in an Yellowstone traffic jam aka a herd of bison. The amount of people who were pissed off by being inconvenienced was bothersome. A guy came up next to me in a Tahoe in the wrong lane and long story short he was very close to being pistol whipped, but he chose smartly told by his wife to stay in the truck. 

Cliff notes

other than that I love the west, even the PNW. Don’t believe the news people are over this mask bullshit, I wore mine when it was mandated, just because. but many many others were fast and loose with it. I saw “let’s go Brandon” tagged stickered and so on in a lot of surprising places. my favorite man made type thing was “Main Street” down town western towns, they’re thriving, they’re historic and they’re beautiful and unchanged by big box stores. If you’re ever in Sheridan WY go down town and go to bison union coffee company!

I stopped for gas in picabo ID and went inside to pee, it was a cool little stop they had a stickers so I grabbed two and looked around there was also a place to order sandwiches and a fly shop. I looked over all the little flies and then went to pay for my stickers. There was a lady whom I thought was the cashier but I quickly realized she was working the post office! This must have been the original post office and general store, all the P.O. Boxes looked 100 plus years old!

View my photos at: https://nshep79.smugmug.com/PNW

Amazing, brother!   Once again!   :thumbup:

If you still have the map in this pic right here -

IMG_1082-253x450.jpg

- , check out the Carbon Glacier - my most favorite ORV area in the PNW is Evans Creek ORV Area.  You top the 411a  311a trail, steep as hell (nothing but windshield and sky) - and you top out looking directly at the Carbon Glacier...   Last little old-west-looking town you roll through before you hit the place is Carbonado. Go into the little General Store there, and get your permit...

Edited by 98Z5V
Named my favorite trail wrong!

On 10/31/2021 at 11:16 PM, 98Z5V said:

IMG_1082-253x450.jpg

- , check out the Carbon Glacier - my most favorite ORV area in the PNW is Evans Creek ORV Area.  You top the 411a trail, steep as hell (nothing but windshield and sky) - and you top out looking directly at the Carbon Glacier...   Last little old-west-looking town you roll through before you hit the place is Carbonado. Go into the little General Store there, and get your permit...

I do, I’ll take a look tomorrow. I got shut down in paradise, they plowed the road shut, I dropped down and tried getting on from 123 or 410 and they were gated off. Went up 410 towards white? Pass I got to a parking lot in slushy snow after switch backs and dropped back down

So much cool stuff there. Like Doc, I’m looking forward to go through the pics when I’m a little more awake. I went through them all right before I went to bed last night, but I’ll enjoy having some time to go through them all again later today. Looked like a great trip. 

On 11/1/2021 at 1:27 AM, Rsquared said:

Some great pictures brother.

But who was that big ugly ginger caught in the middle of them? :laffs:

Not a big selfie taker but the one was trying to put the size of that down tree in perspective. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen that many huge trees before

On 10/31/2021 at 11:16 PM, 98Z5V said:

IMG_1082-253x450.jpg

- , check out the Carbon Glacier - my most favorite ORV area in the PNW is Evans Creek ORV Area.  You top the 411a  311a trail, steep as hell (nothing but windshield and sky) - and you top out looking directly at the Carbon Glacier...   Last little old-west-looking town you roll through before you hit the place is Carbonado. Go into the little General Store there, and get your permit...

44799EFB-ACDA-490A-B0B0-5BADDE206D7A.jpeg

79B7FB4E-0E74-4CEF-8B48-26EF3E996F07.jpeg

On 11/1/2021 at 8:04 PM, bubbas4570 said:

If you come through this way next time, you need to stop in.  

Going through SD is maybe longer, but you get to see some different scenery also.  Not that ND and SD are much different......😆

Maybe next time!

I thought you were in ND? I went thru SD and it was a windy cocksucker!!! As always 

5 hours ago, shepp said:

Thank you 

You drive that thing down here, and she's around - watch her...   I'm just sayin'...

She'll swipe that truck quicker than those Ford Fuckers got Rob into his rental, a split-second before we were gonna smash that window in...  :banana:

She won't find that hidden gem of a comment.  She's too new...   :lmao:

On 11/3/2021 at 1:22 AM, 98Z5V said:

You drive that thing down here, and she's around - watch her...   I'm just sayin'...

She'll swipe that truck quicker than those Ford Fuckers got Rob into his rental, a split-second before we were gonna smash that window in...  :banana:

She won't find that hidden gem of a comment.  She's too new...   :lmao:

I was getting into the back of my truck in Sheridan, I’m usually pretty secret squirrel about it but a guy came pulling up. I made it very apparent there was a pistola in my hand but not an asshole about it. I crawled my happy ass into the back. As if to say yea not only am I crazy enough to camp in a rest area but I’m going to protect myself too! 

5 minutes ago, unforgiven said:

Very cool one of our trips was out the East gate in Yellowstone east to Rapid city. That was a little bit of work driving. Be safe brother 🍺🍺

Took Alternate 14A in the 1970’s from Sheridan West to Yellowstone East entrance. Three mistakes: 1. Did not gas up in Sheridan, thought I had enough. 2. Left Sheridan at 10pm. 3. Took alt 14 rather then 14. Scariest road I have ever been on. No open gas stations in Graybull. Ran on fumes into Coty, fortunately one 24 hour gas station. Pushed on into the Park. The Scout broke down by the Rainbow Bridge. Crashed in it for a couple of hours. We were woke up by a Ranger who said we had to move, they were hunting a grizzly that had killed a camper the night before in Rainbow Bridge campground. Got the Scout started and pushed on into West Yellowstone.

On 11/4/2021 at 7:02 PM, Sisco said:

Took Alternate 14A in the 1970’s from Sheridan West to Yellowstone East entrance. Three mistakes: 1. Did not gas up in Sheridan, thought I had enough. 2. Left Sheridan at 10pm. 3. Took alt 14 rather then 14. Scariest road I have ever been on. No open gas stations in Graybull. Ran on fumes into Coty, fortunately one 24 hour gas station. Pushed on into the Park. The Scout broke down by the Rainbow Bridge. Crashed in it for a couple of hours. We were woke up by a Ranger who said we had to move, they were hunting a grizzly that had killed a camper the night before in Rainbow Bridge campground. Got the Scout started and pushed on into West Yellowstone.

I did about the opposite. I came into west Yellowstone about 230. Got into Cody about 930. I should have found a place in Cody to sleep but I didn’t like the town. It reminded me of the dells, a tourist trap! I pushed into Sheridan 2. More hours, mule and white tail deer in rut but not as spooky as white tail here. Drove thru switch backs of big horn national forest got to the pass and a shooter bull elk was in the middle of the road! Over heated my brakes outta the pass and ran Manual shift the rest of the way down. 

funny thing is I talked to my dad about it and my parents did the same in a Vega in 74 in a snow storm he said my mom was so scared she was on the floor of the car, and once they got back on 90 they were dodging deer like pin ball 

On 11/5/2021 at 8:43 AM, Magwa said:

I am glad you had a great trip tons of cool stuff to see in the PNW to bad you missed the real Idaho central part of the state is very diverse..... very cool pics next time swing this way.....

Friday I went from hells canyon (oxbow OR) to ID falls which was mostly 2 lane highway. Then ID falls up to Yellowstone.

id really like to explore that hells canyon area, the camp ground in oxbow was really nice and super cheap, it was run by ID power