• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What are your other hobbies and interests?

imschur

43 minutes ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

Awesome!  I have thought about doing that several times, but haven't gotten around to it.

Just took a bit of studying. I had a novice license almost 50 years ago.

I can hit 3 repeaters from home on 2 meters.

Just another drain on the gun budget.

Edited by shooterrex

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, unforgiven said:

Back in the day of CB radio the operator would bleed over the neighbors speaker. Is that still the case brother?

I had a couple of CB's that would bleed over but they were running a lot more than the 5 watts allowed.

I had a cb that at the drive thru at Hardee's. If I keyed the mic it erased all the order Information off their computers.

There are filters available that screen out the interference on TV's.

On 3/16/2023 at 3:43 AM, 98Z5V said:

Tell me more about that turbo - I love forced induction.   :thumbup:

That's a custom built HX40 super, capable of about 900 rwhp. Megasquirt fuel management system, big brakes and coilover suspension. It moves pretty well. I had two of those cars and totalled one!

4 hours ago, Lefty308 said:

That's a custom built HX40 super, capable of about 900 rwhp. Megasquirt fuel management system, big brakes and coilover suspension. It moves pretty well. I had two of those cars and totalled one!

HELL YEAH!!!   :banana:   That would be a skeery ride in that little 300Z car!  :laffs:

14 minutes ago, shooterrex said:

Intruder Volusia 800. 1 carb. Had a buddy with the Vs1400 w/dual carbs. It was a pain.

That one was the VL800.  Sidedraft carb behind the air cleaner.  Way easy to take care of, and reliable.  The VS1400 did suck to tune, too, you're right.  :thumbup::laffs:

On 3/23/2023 at 12:46 AM, 98Z5V said:

That one was the VL800.  Sidedraft carb behind the air cleaner.  Way easy to take care of, and reliable.  The VS1400 did suck to tune, too, you're right.  :thumbup::laffs:

You all oughta try a Honda Valkyrie - 6CARBS!!! But holy shyte does it move!

On 3/14/2023 at 4:55 PM, shooterrex said:

FCC sent my call sign.

KQ4GXU

W3TWG here. Congrats! For me General was just going trough the question pool on QRZ dot com until I could get over 80% more than three times in a row. Went in and aced the exam. Being tech oriented in the military and personally, it wasn't all that difficult. And the additional bandwidth is a plus. I do want Extra, but I'm not to caring about it, might study during some down time...

@Armed Eye Doc do it! There are a lot of old school pain in the arses, but it is pretty cool to chat with someone 800 or 7000 miles away like they are local.

2 minutes ago, shooterrex said:

I am working on my general ticket now. Take the test again Apr 11.

Having fun on 2m & 70cm.

Already have 2 hand helds and a mobile.

LOL! I've been licensed for over 30 years and since the first day, amateur radio has always competed with shooting sports for attention. For the last ten years, I have had all I  need for three full shacks, be they mobile or fixed station, I sorta lost my interest in FM just due to local silliness, there is a local regional net I participate in somedays on 80M, and I have lately been listening to 10M to see how far away I can hear.

Aside from the obvious advantages over cell phone use (911 took us for a ride there) with a decent antenna and general coverage radio, you can hear all kinds of things the general pubic knows nothing of. And one of the morning crew I hear is on the NC/TN border - I imagine KY is not a problem, and on 40 or 20M would be easy.

17 hours ago, Traveler said:

You all oughta try a Honda Valkyrie - 6CARBS!!! But holy shyte does it move!

I'm one of very few guys down here in AZ that can carb-sync one of those bikes.  I've worked on them extensively, and in turn, ridden the FUK out of them to make sure I did a good job syncing them...   :laffs:  Been a Honda Red Level Tech (Certified Technician) since 2008.   :thumbup:

• 1 month later...

We have a few farm animals on our 80 acres. My hands are too old to hand milk so I got a battery pack to make my milking machine portable.  I leave the jersey out in the pasture with her baby and the angus cows. So, I go out with the side by side and milk her wherever I find her.  She gets a bucket of her favorite food after so she cooperates   IMG_8638.thumb.jpeg.b9c56b7dbae80ea1764881588b0f7693.jpeg

Edited by GStephen

That's the baddest LJ on the damn planet.  Bar none.  It's been years since I've seen it, and drooled on it - he CAUGHT ME when I tried to lick it...  :lmao:

It's so much more now.  Holy Shiit...   :hail: