• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What are your other hobbies and interests?

imschur

1 hour ago, 392heminut said:

That's a beautiful car! Column shift is kinda rare for that particular setup!:thumbup:

Thanks! The column shift and no console is unusual on a GTX and this is the only one I’ve seen with dual sport mirrors (no joystick on the driver’s side door to adjust the mirror). The fender tag is coded for the mirrors, Air Grabber, AM/8 Track, tach, power steering and the red lower body stripe. I added the Performance Hood Paint because it looks so badass on a black car. 

In August I’ll have owned it for 39 years

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Working on my 1965 Ford Custom.  For those who are not old Ford guys - the "Custom" was the most basic trim package on the Galaxie body style.  They got sold as delivery vehicles, cop cars, cabs, etc.   Mine is a 2 door post car that was my best friend's first car.   We spent lots of time wrenching on it when we were teenagers and later in life when I was looking for a pre '67 car (pre-emissions) he sold it to me.  The same ZZ Top keychain and fuzzy dice are hanging from the rear-view mirror.  It is getting a gen 2 coyote 5.0 (the new mustang engines) and a couple of small turbos.  It should be a handful when it runs. 

2 hours ago, BigNate said:

Working on my 1965 Ford Custom.  For those who are not old Ford guys - the "Custom" was the most basic trim package on the Galaxie body style.  They got sold as delivery vehicles, cop cars, cabs, etc.   Mine is a 2 door post car that was my best friend's first car.   We spent lots of time wrenching on it when we were teenagers and later in life when I was looking for a pre '67 car (pre-emissions) he sold it to me.  The same ZZ Top keychain and fuzzy dice are hanging from the rear-view mirror.  It is getting a gen 2 coyote 5.0 (the new mustang engines) and a couple of small turbos.  It should be a handful when it runs. 

Nice! If you haven’t bought the engine yet try to get a Gen three motor, it has a third injector in the direct injection that cleans the valves. That deserves a build thread!

31 minutes ago, edgecrusher said:

Nice! If you haven’t bought the engine yet try to get a Gen three motor, it has a third injector in the direct injection that cleans the valves. That deserves a build thread!

I've got the engine already...   Truck Gen 2 with mustang cams, Boundary OPG and sprocket, etc...    Turbos are little 57mm units with maps that run out to about 500HP of air each - with 400HP of air in the high efficiency area of the map.  Planning to tune to about 700 initially and then creep towards 800 whp and end there... until that stops terrifying me and I decide to build a forged internals coyote.   I "MIGHT" go gen 3 at that point - although I'm not sure that the headache of the direct injection is worth what I'd get out of it at that point.   Lots and lots of work to do before I'm even considering the next engine.   The coyote is HUGE up top - bigger / wider than the FE (352) that came out of the car so I'm hacking away at the frame rails (in front of the suspension) and working on fabbing in rack and pinion.  The 6R80 is big too - likely going to have to cut the transmission tunnel as well.  After that header fab and then the big suck of wiring and other non-mechanical stuff. 

For now - I'm mostly stalled because cutting and welding in a non-air-conditioned garage in Phoenix in the summer is somewhere between "this sucks a lot" and "you're gonna die..."   I'll get after it again in October... 🙂

10 hours ago, DNP said:

This sucks a lot and you’re gonna die…isn’t that the phrase on the Welcome to Phoenix sign?

Only in the summer, once all the Snowbirds are gone.  They hide that sign again in the fall, to get the Snowbirds to come back.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Attempting a hobby anyway, trying my hand at growing mushrooms.... not those mushrooms but few edible mushrooms you can't get in the store. Turns out most of the mushrooms with medicinal properties are primary wood decomposers, button and portabella grow on already composted material. So I ordered up a couple beginner level kits from a Wisconsin mushroom dealer...... that has to trigger an algorithm right?:laffs:

https://www.fieldforest.net/category/mixed-mushroom-variety-plug-spawn-kits

https://www.fieldforest.net/product/wine-cap-garden-kit/garden-starter-kits

So the wine cap beds were made with free wood chips and stump grindings from the town yard waste dump, picked up sections of logs there in early spring for the plug growing system. Two months in and the wine cap beds are giving off that real earthy mushroom aroma and turned solid white just under the surface, so far so good. Now the plugging the log system takes more time, no hints if they will take yet. Of course the first mushrooms I see are coming from a pot I threw together just to use up the last dozen plugs for oyster mushrooms, I didn't want to get another log and didn't have room for more holes. I layered the plugs in straw, in a hanging basket with holes drilled in it. They grow oyster's on straw but use a grain spawn to start it, apparently wood plugs works, schit grows fast, 24 hrs. between the pics;

IMG_4574.thumb.jpg.6f52f9f3b666b801b988d698c437def2.jpgIMG_4575.thumb.jpg.8f3ec731fe5bb1515e6c4d1092a4d288.jpg

If they taste worth a schit I may have to scale it up, straw to food that fast is pretty cool.

Picked the clump the next day and had the wife fry them up, three days from a nub to a pile of mushroom. So tasty I didn't think to get a picture of the final product till I couldn't eat anymore. Very mild woodsy flavor, touch sweet, and the texture was firm, I can see why vegetarians would use them as meat substitute.

IMG_4583.thumb.jpg.154e0c6dcdafcce6f717e9085ea2a311.jpgIMG_4586.thumb.JPG.255a72d496128afc730a872c2de9dcd2.JPG

• 4 months later...
6 hours ago, jeffery said:

Well lets see.... I picked up the hobby of RC airplanes. Its a lot of fun and of course not cheap....lol I didnt really even get a chance to fly this year at all. Kind of a bummer but thats ok.

Old coworker of mine, a pilot for the company, had an RC plane habit. He decided to build a really nice one with his dad to have something to do as his dad was getting up there in age (I won’t put a number on it so I don’t offend our seasoned members). It was beautiful. For about 5 minutes. It took off, made a turn (I assume straight towards the ground) and nosedived back into another do it yourself kit. Lol. 

9 hours ago, DNP said:

Old coworker of mine, a pilot for the company, had an RC plane habit. He decided to build a really nice one with his dad to have something to do as his dad was getting up there in age (I won’t put a number on it so I don’t offend our seasoned members). It was beautiful. For about 5 minutes. It took off, made a turn (I assume straight towards the ground) and nosedived back into another do it yourself kit. Lol. 

that does happen and it happens to everyone on every skill level. Ive seen guys with years of experience crash planes that cost thousands because of human error. I haven't crashed yet. some hard landings still and last year I lost my first plane in the woods because of a loss of orientation and depth perception . damn trees were a lot closer to the plane than i thought.lol didn't find it for a year until another member found it while looking for his plane.lol. It was in pretty good shape actually. still fun though. but i am still a rookie at it. this is the one I lost. I bought a bigger one after I lost this one.

I guess my other hobby is riding motorcycles. below is a pic of the bike. the green plane is the one I bought after loosing the first one. The pics on the bike are from an area in Tennessee called the Dragons Tale. If anyone might have heard of it. The pic of the bike at distance is on a roadway called the cherohala skyway. the other is on the Dragon. 318 turns in 11 miles. Pure adrenaline rush. Fun as hell.

IMG_2830.JPG

IMG_3330 (1).JPG

IMG_3034.JPG

IMG_3223.JPG

Hobbies! 

Well, a very mild heart attack and open heart surgery has curtailed lots of things I did in the past. I have had a love of firearms and shooting since my very early teens and I've doubled down on that, branching off into casting bullets and I never thought that would happen but prepared for it during the klinton years. As I age I've also been experiencing loss of muscle mass despite exercising, so I've been selling off many of my conventionally stocked long guns and have been replacing them with bullpups, SBRs, and handguns.

I still enjoy cooking and eating I just cook and eat differently but probably not what you're thinking. Everything that "popular knowledge" knows about heart disease is absolutely incorrect. I assembled a packer brisket, cut into 3 pieces, into corned beef. or it will be corned beef on Nov' 8. From the corned beef state I can turn it into pastrami if I want to.  

Dogs are still a hobby too, but we've downsized and gone to much lower mass dogs. Dog and not dogs actually since we had to put down her larger brother a month ago. But we'll get another companion for her when we find the right one.

I still do DIY, but on a smaller scale. 

Edited by BrianK
edited for clarity