• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Military training

unforgiven

Can any of our honorable Veterans enlighten the civilian sector on a few things.

1  Was there earpro for basic training? What type?

2  On deployment during patrol was earpro used? What type?

3 Was earpro used when contact was made?

4  Did Armor units do anything different?

Having seen the news reels of the day, previous Wars and conflicts I can't even imagine the shock to the sense's of those in combat. Forever loved 🇺🇸🍻🍻

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. At basic we were issued these strange flanged ear plugs with an insertion tool. I'm not sure what they were called. Very uncomfortable, and guys would accidentally push them too far in.

2. When I went to Tikrit, Iraq with the Big Red One, we were issued the 3M plugs that 3M knew didn't work and now are getting a massive lawsuit brought before them.

3. I never got into a gun fight, but we had indirect attacks every day. Nobody had time to put earpro in, we were too busy running for the "bunkers".

4. I don't know about Armor specific operations. I do know they parked an Abrams next to the DFAC for a few weeks and fired scheduled H&I fire. I'm sure the guys would be smart enough to protect their ears during that. It's VERY loud.

Edited by Czgunner

In the early 70s (70-73)we had flanged strange looking ear plugs. Probably made, as all stuff GI is, down to a price. I never got into a fire fight (West Germany) but I can't see how wearing ear pro would be a good survival tactic. Just when one needs his hearing, it gets reduced? Shooting on a range is an entirely different scene. In our armor vehicles we never wore ear pro but I also don't remember lots of noise in it. I was a combat engineer and even when we were lucky enough to use explosives I don't remember ear pro, just open the mouth wide and use fingers in the ears. I can't remember if we used ear pro when on the M79 range. The "cartridge" used was fairly quiet, and I don't remember the sound of the grenade. Heck, it's been >50 years.

On 2/20/2022 at 10:19 AM, unforgiven said:

Can any of our honorable Veterans enlighten the civilian sector on a few things.

1  Was there earpro for basic training? What type?

2  On deployment during patrol was earpro used? What type?

3 Was earpro used when contact was made?

4  Did Armor units do anything different?

Having seen the news reels of the day, previous Wars and conflicts I can't even imagine the shock to the sense's of those in combat. Forever loved 🇺🇸🍻🍻

I was USMC 93-06 and the short answer is no.  In training we were given basic ear plugs, but on deployment, there was nothing.  It is my understanding that this changed circa 2020-2021 but I cannot confirm this. The best we had were cigarette butts or our fingers if we had time.  This would have been most prevalent with breaching charges and such.  I cannot speak for certain with the folks in armor though I know some folks did wear headphones for comms. 

Edited by 3OhHate

Predominantly the 3-flange plugs in the little case, worn directly on the uniform jacket.  That way you always had them with you.  They worked, but weren't comfortable for long periods.  The foamies were better for long sessions. 

Training?  Yes, most of the time.  I never wore plugs in an aircraft for a jump, or in a boat, or in a HMMWV or bigger trucks.  Fuk that, need to be able to hear what's going on, not muffled.  Training Firearms Ranges?  Yep, always.  If I was doing a pistol-only range, I wore ear muffs.  Nobody cared or gave me any shiit for it. 

Combat?  Not a chance.  You DEFINITELY need to be able to hear your surroundings, it's a must.  It shiit kicks off, deal with it. 

I wish we had the badass electronic earpro that's out now - back then.  I have several sets of the stuff, and it's fantastic, revolutionary, really.  Still waiting on a pre-ordered, first-in buy-in for the new Pro Ears that are getting released in April sometime.  I paid up on those things in November. 

EDIT - forgot to mention this part...   Your body is both amazing, and fuckin' WEIRD.  Three times I'd had shiit get busy in a combat zone.  The adrenaline dump is wild.  After gunfire settles, I don't remember any ringing in the ears, at all. 

Edited by 98Z5V

Check these guys out:

https://proears.com/

The Stealth 28 HTBT are the ones coming out in April - you can still get a hell of a discount if you pre-order now.  $126 instead of $180.  Back whenever, I jump on the 50% off initial deal and pulled them for $90.

https://proears.com/product/stealth-28-htbt/

I have a couple sets of the Walker Silencers, and they work great!  I also have a set of electronic muffs that work very, very well...  better than the earbud versions, by far.

2 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Check these guys out:

The Stealth 28 HTBT are the ones coming out in April - you can still get a hell of a discount if you pre-order now.  $126 instead of $180.  Back whenever, I jump on the 50% off initial deal and pulled them for $90.

I have a couple sets of the Walker Silencers, and they work great!  I also have a set of electronic muffs that work very, very well...  better than the earbud versions, by far.

That's a reasonable price

You're welcome, brother.   :hail:  Just a side note on me...   the military has a threshold for hearing aids.  I got a right hearing aid issued to me right before retirement, and almost had a left one.  The cutoff is 40% loss.  I have a high and low tone loss in both ears, and tinnitis.  I was 41% in the right ear, got the eharing aid for it, but I was 38% in the left ear - no hearing aid.  GOt issued a fukkin' $4k hearing aid, though.  I never wear the fucker.   The tinnitis got me 10% for disability, on top of all the shiit that I did, but I didn't get a damn thing for the hearing loss, except for that hearing aid.  The motherfuckers.

5 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

You're welcome, brother.   :hail:  Just a side note on me...   the military has a threshold for hearing aids.  I got a right hearing aid issued to me right before retirement, and almost had a left one.  The cutoff is 40% loss.  I have a high and low tone loss in both ears, and tinnitis.  I was 41% in the right ear, got the eharing aid for it, but I was 38% in the left ear - no hearing aid.  GOt issued a fukkin' $4k hearing aid, though.  I never wear the fucker.   The tinnitis got me 10% for disability, on top of all the shiit that I did, but I didn't get a damn thing for the hearing loss, except for that hearing aid.  The motherfuckers.

That sucks

2 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Check these guys out:

Definitly going to look into these.

1 minute ago, Cunuckgaucho said:

Definitly going to look into these.

Get in now, before the price goes up again - and don't look back.  I tested the previous version that I bought for a chick here on the board, that is now verboten.  Fuk her.  She liked them, on the previous version.  She's fucking married-ass (20+ years) DirtBike Tommy now, from his shady shiit that he had to pull just for female cat, so fuk them both.  They're both dead to me.  I'm sure you can figure out who "she" is...   :thumbup:

DirtBike Tommy is a serious - SERIOUS - PIECE OF SHIIT.  That dude is DONE. 

10 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Get in now, before the price goes up again - and don't look back.  I tested the previous version that I bought for a chick here on the board, that is now verboten.  Fuk her.  She liked them, on the previous version.  She's fucking married-ass (20+ years) DirtBike Tommy now, from his shady shiit that he had to pull just for female cat, so fuk them both.  They're both dead to me.  I'm sure you can figure out who "she" is...   :thumbup:

DirtBike Tommy is a serious - SERIOUS - PIECE OF SHIIT.  That dude is DONE. 

Ordered

I tried the previous version, that I bought for her, and they were quite nice, shooting.  I pre-ordered the next gen when they were announced, just for her - but that was a long time ago, and fuk her.  So, I have them coming, now.  I'll test them out. 

If anyone needs to make a reference to her, feel free - I'll tell you all about it.  I'll tell you all about the massive amount of POS that DirtBike Tommy is, too.  Just ask.  :thumbup:

@Robocop1051, cut away from Sarah, brother - you 2 are FB buddies now - cut her loose, brother, I'm seeing what she's doing.  She's a real piece of shiit, man.  Get away now, before she sucks you in, like she just tries to suck my other friends in.  Bail, man, just bail...  She already told a complete line if shiit to @Matt.Cross, that isn't even true... 

Edited by 98Z5V

22 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

@Robocop1051, cut away from Sarah, brother - you 2 are FB buddies now - cut her loose, brother, I'm seeing what she's doing.  She's a real piece of shiit, man.  Get away now, before she sucks you in, like she just tries to suck my other friends in.  Bail, man, just bail...  She already told a complete line if shiit to @Matt.Cross, that isn't even true... 

Sucks to hear, sorry that turned out badly.

Regarding ear pro, starting to feel old af now with what I see some using. The triple flange garbage was more about decoration during my time in. Wore it during quals but barely even wore it running live fire lane missions in GER or CO…or for anything else. Guessing my ears took a beating right next to the 240s and Bradleys. Oh well, young and dumb.

Bad situation with a fake chick - and an even more fucked up "buddy" that I thought was a real friend, for several years now.  If I ever see that POS again face to face, I'll choke him out where he stands.  When he hits the ground, he won't even know what happened in the first place.  She's just as much a POS as he is, for the games she played along the way.  Is what it is.  I'm better off, and dodged a giant bullet, in the long run.  Just sucked to go through it, thinking she was really all that.  Glad I found out, but sucks to find out the way I did. 

Shows you who your friends really are - and I'm blessed finding that out.   :thumbup:

@Moon Boots, I figured you should see this from me, since you're still a member here.  I don't talk poop behind someone's back, but I sure will face-to-face, and I'll always tell it how it is, I never wander from that. I never deviate from my morales and convictions.  I am solid, in that.   I have principles, morals, honestly, and I live by my word.  Your new man doesn't have that, seeing how he's cheating on his wife of 20+ years with you.  After buying hookers for years on end, whilst with her.  You're just a free hooker to him, nothing more than Pu$sy that he doesn't have to shell out money for.  You're a bargain for him, and he doesn't have to spend money on your ass that he gets.  He spent big on the hookers he paid before - while he's married to 20+ years.  You are the bonus - free Pu$sy.  I quoted you in this so you know exactly what I'm saying about you.  You'll receive an email knowing that I quoted this, right here.  You can read it if you want, or you can run, or, you can talk more shiit.  Your choice. Get the game on, whatever your choice.

Hope things are going well with you and DirtBike Tommy. 

I already know that they're not...   You made that bed, and banged that shiitbag, that's only looking for pu$sy, so your life is "unstable" right now.  And that's on you...  and only you...  :thefinger:

Sweet dreams...  You blew this one, and I would have made you happy forever.  You are the one that fucked that up...   :lmao:

Edited by 98Z5V

15 hours ago, unforgiven said:

She did you a favor showing her hand brother 👍 

On to the next contestant. :banana:

She will reap what she sowed, brother, and she was coerced by a complete shiitbag that I thought was my friend - that's the part that hurts most.  Fucked over by a friend, that used my information, time and time again, over time, throughout this, and twisted it and worked all that in his favor, just to drop panties.  I can't even describe how I feel about that, accurately.  I hope I never see that motherfucker face to face again.  If he thinks he's pretty, he won't be, no more.

That fuckbag is on my permanent "No Fly List" forever.  Karma is already catching up to him, and it's well deserved. He will get wrecked by the wife he currently has.   If my Karma reaches him, he's over.