• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Boats

Sisco

Yep, show your boats… old and new.  And I have had a lot of them. Just bought this one two weeks ago and dragged it back from Florida. I am going to get familiar with it on the Great Lakes then bring it back down and use it for my Gulf of Mexico boat

4DF3DC7B-56E1-4DB4-AE3C-0FC14B8B2B3F.jpeg

1B6FE1BC-7978-42DD-9B4E-79CA65F42DFA.jpeg

1 hour ago, Sisco said:

Yep, show your boats… old and new.  And I have had a lot of them. Just bought this one two weeks ago and dragged it back from Florida. I am going to get familiar with it on the Great Lakes then bring it back down and use it for my Gulf of Mexico boat

4DF3DC7B-56E1-4DB4-AE3C-0FC14B8B2B3F.jpeg

1B6FE1BC-7978-42DD-9B4E-79CA65F42DFA.jpeg

Damn!  THat Honda outboard is a pricey engine, right there - but all you have to do it keep oil in it, and flush the salt-water out after running it in that stuff.  It'll last forever.

14 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Damn!  THat Honda outboard is a pricey engine, right there - but all you have to do it keep oil in it, and flush the salt-water out after running it in that stuff.  It'll last forever.

The former owner was twice retired. Once from the Coast Guard and once as a Honda Marine mechanic. When he put that 2018 Honda on he also rewired the whole boat. He kept meticulous maintenance logs. A really good guy too.

Edited by Sisco

Ok another one in WI.

2019338069_0428191440_optimized1.thumb.jpg.2f21cac833db9e85553591c95911f655.jpg

2028258018_0428191431a_optimized1.thumb.jpg.304443e91088bd05a87f0cada29186a9.jpg

This boat has a story that I still find hard to believe.  

It starts in 1986 when I bought a model very similar to this one from the same company.  After marrying my 1st ex and moving to KY we sold that boat and got a newer but different model in about 1988.  At that time I was actually a rep for the company and when it came time to sell the boat, the company president Tony Portincaso had a buyer in Illinois where he was based.   Boat is sold, life happens, two kids are born, divorced, remarried, etc. etc.

Flash forward to 2018.  I'm driving through Eagle River WI which is about 25 miles from where I am and go past one of those spots where people park cars and stuff to sell and I see a grey figerglass v hull for sale.  The hull is rather unique and I look closer and a light bulb goes off in my head.  Thats a Tony Boat!  I wheel around to take a closer look and sure enough its the same model that I had 30 years before.  17' long, same open floor plan, even the same trailer from the company that made the one I had.  I call the number on the sign and talk to the guy who owns it.  He wants to move the boat BAD.   They're selling the cottage, not fishing like they used to, and staying closer to home in Illinois.  We talk for a while and it turns toward hunting and shooting.   I ask him if he would be interested in a trade and he says possibly.  We end up making a deal, I traded him a 16" barreled 300 BLK AR for the boat, motor, and trailer.  

The boat needed its interior replaced and the trailer needed new wiring.  Here is where the twilight zone kicked in.  This was the same model as I had in 1988, same layout, same everything.  The trailer was from the same company that mine came from.  No big deal, Tony probably started using those trailers for all his boats. 

As I begin to tear out the old interior and remove things I didn't want I begin to notice odd details and start having deja vu.  Two screw eyes mounted into the front of the splashwell, and sets of screw holes under a non-skid pad I removed got me thinking.  I pulled out the paperwork the guy gave me with the boat and in with it was the invoice from Tony Portincaso Boat Company.  The guy bought it from Tony directly in Illinois.   I called him back and asked him if he had installed the screw eyes in the splashwell or if they were already there.   He said they were already there and asked why I was asking.  I told him I knew who had put them there.  ME!

The boat we turned over to Tony to sell in 1988 had somehow returned home and was once again sitting in my driveway in 2018.  The trailer under it was the exact same one we had.  I rebuilt the interior to match the original model I had in '86 and added a few more modern touches but the hull is still as solid and stable as it ever was. 

I think I'll have this one until I die!   :thumbup:

2 hours ago, dpete said:

Ok another one in WI.

2019338069_0428191440_optimized1.thumb.jpg.2f21cac833db9e85553591c95911f655.jpg

2028258018_0428191431a_optimized1.thumb.jpg.304443e91088bd05a87f0cada29186a9.jpg

This boat has a story that I still find hard to believe.  

It starts in 1986 when I bought a model very similar to this one from the same company.  After marrying my 1st ex and moving to KY we sold that boat and got a newer but different model in about 1988.  At that time I was actually a rep for the company and when it came time to sell the boat, the company president Tony Portincaso had a buyer in Illinois where he was based.   Boat is sold, life happens, two kids are born, divorced, remarried, etc. etc.

Flash forward to 2018.  I'm driving through Eagle River WI which is about 25 miles from where I am and go past one of those spots where people park cars and stuff to sell and I see a grey figerglass v hull for sale.  The hull is rather unique and I look closer and a light bulb goes off in my head.  Thats a Tony Boat!  I wheel around to take a closer look and sure enough its the same model that I had 30 years before.  17' long, same open floor plan, even the same trailer from the company that made the one I had.  I call the number on the sign and talk to the guy who owns it.  He wants to move the boat BAD.   They're selling the cottage, not fishing like they used to, and staying closer to home in Illinois.  We talk for a while and it turns toward hunting and shooting.   I ask him if he would be interested in a trade and he says possibly.  We end up making a deal, I traded him a 16" barreled 300 BLK AR for the boat, motor, and trailer.  

The boat needed its interior replaced and the trailer needed new wiring.  Here is where the twilight zone kicked in.  This was the same model as I had in 1988, same layout, same everything.  The trailer was from the same company that mine came from.  No big deal, Tony probably started using those trailers for all his boats. 

As I begin to tear out the old interior and remove things I didn't want I begin to notice odd details and start having deja vu.  Two screw eyes mounted into the front of the splashwell, and sets of screw holes under a non-skid pad I removed got me thinking.  I pulled out the paperwork the guy gave me with the boat and in with it was the invoice from Tony Portincaso Boat Company.  The guy bought it from Tony directly in Illinois.   I called him back and asked him if he had installed the screw eyes in the splashwell or if they were already there.   He said they were already there and asked why I was asking.  I told him I knew who had put them there.  ME!

The boat we turned over to Tony to sell in 1988 had somehow returned home and was once again sitting in my driveway in 2018.  The trailer under it was the exact same one we had.  I rebuilt the interior to match the original model I had in '86 and added a few more modern touches but the hull is still as solid and stable as it ever was. 

I think I'll have this one until I die!   :thumbup:

Awesome story!

5 hours ago, DNP said:

This is the one I’ll be trying to get my hands on. It’ll need some new decals. He put those on right before our trip a few years back. 

9262549A-DCFF-4406-B648-F9DB51E8F87B.jpeg

I found a 28 footer similar to that sitting in a field last spring.  No furniture, worn out carpet, just side rails and a falling apart steering console and drivers seat.  40 hp Force outboard.   I asked the owner about it and he said if I wanted it I could have it.  Come take it away.   The motor started right up on the first attempt.   I sold the motor, stripped off the side rails, motor mount, and steering console, and now its a 28X8ft floating pier at our lake cottage.  This year its getting a deck extension, rub rails to protect the boats tied to it, and new carpet.  Its not a party barge but its sure big enough to be a party pier.

A couple of boats I had in the past. The Sylvan sunk a few years ago after I had sold it on a rough day on the lake. Fortunately the crew on it were rescued.The Bayliner hardtop was grossly underpowered but had an engine heater. We would fish that all day at 34F.

82B26705-ADD3-4E3E-9BD5-53B0170292B0.jpeg

77C33754-E372-43EA-9DB8-310656427F88.jpeg

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, Magwa said:

you fishing nooks on the great lakes? or are you on the big water nice boat!

Fish nooks and browns, coho and LakeTrout on the Great Lakes. Got the center console Parker to run around the Gulf of Mexico but brought it up to the Great Lakes to get used to it and enjoy the summer. I was out about 15 miles the last week of May when I smelled gas. Opened the inspection port and found gas pooled on TOP of the gas tank! Immediately shut all electronics down and grabbed the fire extinguisher and made sure everyone had a life jacket on. Then I throttled back, which seemed to stop the gas leak and slowly made my way back to shore. It turned out to be a crack in the gas tank. I got the boat out the next day, took the fuel sensor unit out, which has about a 1 1/4” wide hole in the tank, and siphoned all 90 gallons of fuel out into containers, my truck, and the wife’s SUV. It is going to be a bear of a repair. I looked at those flexible fuel tanks as a fix since they can be folded and inserted inside existing fuel tanks, but this one has two baffles that are almost unreachable to remove unless I take the center console off to cut a hole, and if I do that I might as well replace it with another hard tank. So no boating this summer, but a lot of fiberglas and boat repair to do. I really like the boat otherwise I would just sell it for salvage and put that beautiful engine on another boat. But this is one project I am going to learn a lot on. Already have.

Edited by Sisco