• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Another newbie

Macaroni

Hello from Oklahoma!

Been building small frames in 556 for a while now with success.  Just picked up a Mega Maten matched set from the recent primary arms sale.

She’s going to be wearing a Spikes Tactical 20” .308 CHF barrel. 

Looking forward to being a part of the large frame club and learning everything there is to know! 

Will try to share results once she’s dialed in. 

-Alex 

Edited by Macaroni

Welcome to the forum!  If you have not bought a recoil system yet, get what is known to work.  The carbine kit is out of stock at the moment, but you can frequently call them to order it.

https://www.armalite.com/SACItem.aspx?Item=AR10REKIT0

You can get the carbine kit with a stock if you like.

https://www.armalite.com/SACItem.aspx?Item=10702302

A rifle length kit is also available without the stock.  Any of these will work well.

https://www.armalite.com/SACItem.aspx?Item=AR10REKIT02

I would recommend you to measure the gas port before installing the barrel.

16 hours ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

Welcome to the forum!  If you have not bought a recoil system yet, get what is known to work.  The carbine kit is out of stock at the moment, but you can frequently call them to order it.

https://www.armalite.com/SACItem.aspx?Item=AR10REKIT0

You can get the carbine kit with a stock if you like.

https://www.armalite.com/SACItem.aspx?Item=10702302

A rifle length kit is also available without the stock.  Any of these will work well.

https://www.armalite.com/SACItem.aspx?Item=AR10REKIT02

I would recommend you to measure the gas port before installing the barrel.

What port size am I looking for? 

will I be basing my buffer weight off of this? Or will a rifle buffer generally work ? 

I already have the barrel loctite bedded and torqued down. 

I don’t have any port gauge  rods. I may email them 

The gas port is the hole in the barrel under the gas block.

Get a set of numbered drill bits. You can determine the gas port size with them and if it needs opened up you already have the bits.

Just because the barrel maker say the gas port is such and such doesn't mean it's true all the time.

If the drill bit making the hole is on its 1000th barrel and needs changing the port may be to small.

On 1/8/2023 at 12:55 PM, Macaroni said:

What port size am I looking for? 

Don't know - you didn't give enough specs on the barrel, besides below VVV...

On 1/7/2023 at 3:00 PM, Macaroni said:

She’s going to be wearing a Spikes Tactical 20” .308 CHF barrel. 

What's the gas system length?  What's the gas block journal size?  Pertinent (mandatory) information, to give the information you're requesting.

Gonna need a 0.095" gas port diameter.  Could vary a couple thou in either direction, but it's gonna be right in there.

^^^  That is based on a 5.4oz buffer weight, and the appropriate recoil spring for whatever receiver extension you're using.  Tell us planned recoil system specs, and I can tell you what spring will work properly.

This is almost turning into a waterboarding session...   :bat:

I apologize if I’m being difficult or complacent. I’m reading more now and slowly finding out building large frames can be exceedingly tedious if not done correctly or with certain calibers. So thank you for your help. 

I was wanting to try out an ar15 rifle extension with the shortened DPMS style rifle buffer. I purchased a Fulton armory shortened LR308 5.4 ounce buffer.

I will be using a  Fulton armory DPMS carrier which headspaces correctly with my barrel. Not sure if carrier weight differs between AR10 and DPMS but I figured I would add that info. 

I checked where the gas tube ends and it is directly in the middle of the cam pin cut out. So as far as my gas system goes I believe (to my knowledge) everything checks out shy of me measuring the gas port diameter. 

You're good.  It's just starting to get there - welcome aboard, by the way.

Sometimes it's tough, without information.  I'm sure you don't understand the level of information required to diagnose a gun issue over the internet - but we're well versed in that.  No harm, no foul.

Carrier weight on those two is gonna be right around 18oz, not enough to differ between the two.  Fulton Armory parts are top-notch, nothing to worry about.  Best quality out there. 

1 hour ago, Macaroni said:

I was wanting to try out an ar15 rifle extension with the shortened DPMS style rifle buffer.

AR15 rifle extensions, A1, A2, doesn't matter.  .308 AR rifle extensions, same.  9 11/16" internal depth.  Your buffer should be 5.200" total length, weigh 5.4oz. 

Recoil spring.  Only ones I'd run with that combo would either be the Armalite EA-1095 spring, or the Sprinco Red spring.  Don't trust anything else - it hasn't been confirmed, repeated, or mass produced with perfect results. 

Edited by 98Z5V

1 hour ago, Macaroni said:

I was wanting to try out an ar15 rifle extension with the shortened DPMS style rifle buffer.

For the record - it's not a "shortened DPMS style rifle buffer." 

The very original AR-10 buffer was the rifle length buffer, at 5.200" long, and 5.4oz. 

AR15 shiit came later, and the buffer length had to be increased - because Eugene Stoner designed the BCG shorter for the AR15 - to run inside the same extension. 

Eugene Stoner is the pioneer on these things, and the AR-10 came first.  Rifle recoil system came first. 

Bit of history, but pertinent here in this discussion. 

Edited by 98Z5V

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...