• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Fwd Assist

MarkB

Some of my AR's have it and some don't. Personally, I've yet to have a situation arise where I've used it. I've heard different pro and con arguments for /against it. I think that you probably won't ever end up using it, If you should happen to end up building on a receiver set that has it.  Something else, the forward assist button needs serrations on the bolt carrier to function so make sure that your carrier has them or the FA will be ornamental. Some of the guys say that they prefer the look of an upper that has the FA.

I'm pretty sure the forward assist on the 308 doesn't use serrations. It presses against the shoulder of the bolt carrier. That said I have never used mine but still want it there. The dust cover imo is essential, maybe not for a bench gun however if you plan on doing any hunting/hiking with it keeping crap out of the action is important.

The dust cover imo is essential, maybe not for a bench gun however if you plan on doing any hunting/hiking with it keeping crap out of the action is important.

I agree with you on a DI rifle.

I think on a piston rifle you have the ability to take a few extra liberties you normally wouldn't. Especially if you are running a dry piston system, like the NiB rifles. I think as long as you aren't stompin through the mud and muck with your bolt locked back, you should be OK without a dust cover.

If you hunt and want the option to more quietly chamber rounds in the field the FA can be handy.  Even if you don't it does not hurt if it is there, ya just never know.  Having it but needing it is no big deal, not having it and needing it could make for a terrible day...

• 3 years later...

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum but am in process of getting my first AR built in .243.  My question is...do I need fwd assist?  advantages or disadvantages?

I'm considering the MA-TEN upper/lower set.

Thanks

Evening. I carried a M-16 in Nam in 65 and again in 69-70 and our early M-16's did not have the forward assist and I never missed it.  My Ruger SR-762 does have the forward assist and I've never used it.  I look on it just like the spare tire in my Expedition, It's there and if needed it's a great idea but (knock on wood) I have so far never used it !

Three decimal point five years, Wow... I still give the FA a whack after loading a new magazine. A habit from boot camp rifle training at Camp Matthews in 1960. Was taught to give the M1 operating rod handle a whack after loading a clip of 8, and the first round chambered.

Evening. I carried a M-16 in Nam in 65 and again in 69-70 and our early M-16's did not have the forward assist and I never missed it.  My Ruger SR-762 does have the forward assist and I've never used it.  I look on it just like the spare tire in my Expedition, It's there and if needed it's a great idea but (knock on wood) I have so far never used it !

i got there in august 65 and never carried anything but an M14 and a 1911A1, sometimes a Blooper. we didn't see M16's up in Indian country until later in 66 just after Operation Hastings, i was in country for 29 months 10 days all one big long tour