• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What distances does your range offer for rifle?

imschur

I've been doing all my shooting at a local 100-yard range, but I got a call just this evening from a fellow that wants to introduce me to his neighbor. Said neighbor owns a 100-yard range and wants to add a 200-yard berm, my buddy feels that this guy would be OK with me shooting on his property anyways, but if I offer to help him with the upkeep and new additions, permission to shoot any time (within reason) should be a sure thing. I've got my fingers crossed!  8)

My local preferred range is outdoor and has targets for rifle at 50 yards and 100 yards.  The firing line bench design is very good and is covered.  The firing line faces due East so by the time the range opens at 10 AM the sun is always at the shooter's back and the bench is shaded.  All summer a 5 to 15 MPH gusting to 25 South wind can be counted on;  except sometimes the winds are very light.  In winter or for a day or two before a storm that wind will sometimes be from the North.  Rules are enforced but compliance is not difficult and the range officers are good people.

I would like to shoot at a range with longer reach but finding one has been difficult.  One range that I hear about has very mixed reports about the attitude of the owners,  another is a long way off and is open on an irregular schedule.  When I am happy with enough of my guns and with the ammunition I intend to use,  I will sort all that out.

If I can get off my butt and get my "request for membership" completed for Quantico Rod and Gun Club, then I'll be maxed out at 1,000 yards.  I think the club only has access to that one twice a month, or something like that, but I'll be on it.  There are others there ranging from 600 yards and down that are routinely scheduled for them.

I'll get that stuff done.  <thumbsup>

My favorite free range is a 100 yarder run by the Wildlife Management Area, but it's seasonal - only open from 1 September to 31 March.  I was on that one regularly until the end of March.

There are several indoor ranges nearby that only go to 25 or 50 yards, and only one of them supports rifle caliber  - others are pistol-only.  The NRA Headquarters indoor range will let me shoot anything I currently own, but again, it's only 50 yards.

• 9 years later...

The conservation club I belong to has 50, 100 and 200. There is a 600 yard range 30 miles from me, but the one I love most is the 600 yard range in the U.P of Michigan. We've been going there for 5 years now and it is a blast. They have every kind of range distance and various targets imaginable. A wonderful 8 to 10 hours of banging steel or paper.

Do you guys know how far that 600 yard walk is back and forth on a sand trail, getting attacked by black flies and whatever else, along the way? I take a crap load of targets down there, so the action doesn't have to stop. I'll let other shooters have some fun at my expense. Great times every year!

After retiring from the military I moved the family to Kansas so that my wife could be close to her family.  After a few moves and a couple of years I told the wife that I just couldn't live there anymore, I missed the mountains and the open country of the west where I grew up.  While we lived in Wichita I tried to join a rifle club but it was a joke.  50 yards for rifle but they were real proud of their long range target - it was one shooting position with a target frame at 100 yards.  Hunting sucked since I could only really hunt if I joined a hunting club or knew a farmer and even then they usually hunted in drives across open fields for deer - boring.

I grew up in Arizona and never knew how difficult it is east of the Mississippi for rifle shooters.  I can't believe that anybody would even imagine that 50 yards is a reasonable distance for shooting rifles, hell, I shoot my pistols that far, even the .22LR is used at 100 yards.  Now that I've settled in Montana I have my own mini-range out to 200 yards, there's a 400 yard range only 20 minutes drive from my house and if I want to shoot farther than that I just need to drive out to public land and pick a spot without too many trees or mountains.

Good luck guys but then I'll be honest, if it were really important to you you'd either change the laws or leave the state, but then I'm pretty happy when you choose to stay where you are.  Way too often we get somebody from out of state that claims to love everything Montana but the first thing they want to do is change everything, so I figure that the less we get to move here the better.  Hell, even I'm considered an outsider and I've been in my remote cabin for almost 6 years now.  It's only been the last year that some of the people that live closest to me have started talking with me - and I like that way.

Well the way the laws work up here, restricted firearms(handguns and certain rifles) can only legally fired at ranges. AR-15/10 restricted while Stag 10 non restricted.

Anyhow back to the topic on hand, range 1 is out to 200M( 218 yds) and range 2 is 300M(328 yds).

Of course in a province riddles with logging roads( serviced and unserviced) and 4x4 there are some serious options.

IMAG0127.jpg

rover3.jpg

8 hours ago, Morgan said:

The conservation club I belong to has 50, 100 and 200. There is a 600 yard range 30 miles from me, but the one I love most is the 600 yard range in the U.P of Michigan. We've been going there for 5 years now and it is a blast. They have every kind of range distance and various targets imaginable. A wonderful 8 to 10 hours of banging steel or paper.

Do you guys know how far that 600 yard walk is back and forth on a sand trail, getting attacked by black flies and whatever else, along the way? I take a crap load of targets down there, so the action doesn't have to stop. I'll let other shooters have some fun at my expense. Great times every year!

I just have to point this out - this is a brand new, earth-shattering record for a Necro-Post.

The total number of days between Saturday, May 1st, 2010 and Wednesday, March 19th, 2020 is 3,610 days.

This is equal to 9 years, 10 months, and 18 days.

If there was a prize for this @Morgan, you just won it. Nobody has ever done this before, and you are to be commended, lauded, and inducted into the Necro Hall of Fame.  You rock, man, this is as epic as it gets.  :hail:  Seriously - that was good, man, bullshiit aside.  :thumbup:

In my local spot, I can pull 2200 yards.  We just recon'ed another one last weekend, just for the .375 CheyTac, that's 2.05 miles (3,608 yards). That's the only gun that's gonna do it, out here.    If we're lucky. 

Edited by 98Z5V

22 minutes ago, DNP said:

At 2.05 miles to a wall...that’s a BIG fuckin barn. 

Not really, for a .375CheyTac, brother.   :thumbup:  Check it...

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/tag/375-cheytac/

https://www.range365.com/375-cheytac-claims-another-long-distance-rifle-record-3800-yards/

Here's the vid on that last link:

Yeah...I figure you can hit a barn. The Canuck says you have better odds if you shoot from inside the barn. If you’re making a two mile shot and want to be inside the barn....that would be a barn 4.1 miles wide....on its narrowest side. 

1 hour ago, DNP said:

Yeah...I figure you can hit a barn. The Canuck says you have better odds if you shoot from inside the barn. If you’re making a two mile shot and want to be inside the barn....that would be a barn 4.1 miles wide....on its narrowest side. 

Hey the theory is sound...