• Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Lets see some rifles

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, I hate to fish for compliments, but it's kinda like having a new girlfriend. You think she's really hot but you might just have permanent beer goggles, so you gotta ask your buddies for an honest assessment.

Trust me, we're all fantasizing about picking her up and taking her for a spin! Errr, your rifle, that is....

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi, I am new to this forum or should I say this is my first. I have had my RRA LAR-8 for about a year. I am still working up the loads for it and so fare is the best rifle I have owned to date. I will post pic in a few. Glad there is other RRA lovers out there.

I to am looking to get the Magpul PRS and glad I read this post to know it needs the extender on it to work. Have you had any problems with it at all ?

Hope you all have a good New Year.

Hi, I am new to this forum or should I say this is my first. I have had my RRA LAR-8 for about a year. I am still working up the loads for it and so fare is the best rifle I have owned to date. I will post pic in a few. Glad there is other RRA lovers out there.

I to am looking to get the Magpul PRS and glad I read this post to know it needs the extender on it to work. Have you had any problems with it at all ?

Hope you all have a good New Year.

Welcome to the forum.  You might start a new thread with specific questions you have.  The old and long threads may not get the attention your question needs.  There are many knowledgeable people on this site who can answer almost anything firearm related.

• 1 year later...

LAR8 Predator HP 20 inch stainless barrel, Operator A2 stock. RRA aluminum free float front handguard. All stock I have made no Mods. The optic is a Burris Full Field TAC30 1x-4x-20mm, ballistic CQ 5.56/7.62 Reticle With a fastfire 3 red dot mounted on top. Unit came in a AR-P.E.P.R. Mount. Its a fast and accurate Illuminated reticle optic that I really like so far. Love this thing. I do not know why it is upside down.

IMG_1185.thumb.JPG.1fa79216b92f77a7a6b2a

Thanks guys! RRA is just amazing. I got mine 3 days before deer gun, and only got to sight in then hunt. Now that WI is thawing out i'm off to the range tomorrow. As for the burris combo, the TAC 30 is incredible. It has this bold black circle reticle, which illuminates 8 different brightness and has Ballistic drop compensation dots from 0-600 yard as well as windage dashes. I will be trying out to 600 next month. I have only used it in the field and sight in, all 100 yards or less. The optic is lightning fast and crazy accurate. I am very impressed. Have not used the red dot on top yet in the field, but cool at the range. I will post an update on how it performs at distance.

• 2 months later...

This is my first AR type build.

13267734_10207457617851611_8119367316961551429_n.jpg

Parts:

Nikon P-308 
Burris Pepr QD 1" mount
Aero Precision M5 Upper and Lower
Aero Precision MLok handguards (FDE)
DPMS 18" 1/10 SASS Barrel with DPMS .936 Micro Block
Troy mid-length gas tube
Precision Armament M4-72 Brake with accuwashers (FDE cerakote)
WC Armory NIBO BCG
AXTS Raptor Charging Handle (FDE)
CMC single stage trigger (2 3/4lbs)
Magpul K2 grip (FDE)
Magpul UBR Stock (FDE)
SprinCo Orange Buffer Spring
3.8 oz heavy buffer
Magpul 20 round mag

Still trying to see what it likes to be fed. I have put Federal Premium Gold Medal Sierra MatchKing 168 grain through. I have a box of the same ammo at 175 grain. 3/4" group at 100yrds. About as much recoil as a stock 5.56. Real fun rifle to shoot.

10 minutes ago, M34TY said:

This is my first AR type build.

13267734_10207457617851611_8119367316961551429_n.jpg

Parts:

Nikon P-308 
Burris Pepr QD 1" mount
Aero Precision M5 Upper and Lower
Aero Precision MLok handguards (FDE)
DPMS 18" 1/10 SASS Barrel with DPMS .936 Micro Block
Troy mid-length gas tube
Precision Armament M4-72 Brake with accuwashers (FDE cerakote)
WC Armory NIBO BCG
AXTS Raptor Charging Handle (FDE)
CMC single stage trigger (2 3/4lbs)
Magpul K2 grip (FDE)
Magpul UBR Stock (FDE)
SprinCo Orange Buffer Spring
3.8 oz heavy buffer
Magpul 20 round mag

Still trying to see what it likes to be fed. I have put Federal Premium Gold Medal Sierra MatchKing 168 grain through. I have a box of the same ammo at 175 grain. 3/4" group at 100yrds. About as much recoil as a stock 5.56. Real fun rifle to shoot.

Nice looking rifle and welcome to the forum, feel free to post up in the intro section

ps I may have missed something but I'm not sure why this is in the Rock river section ??

9 minutes ago, shepp said:

Nice looking rifle and welcome to the forum, feel free to post up in the intro section

ps I may have missed something but I'm not sure why this is in the Rock river section ??

Whoops. Didnt realize where I was. Can delete/move if needed. Sorry about that.

• 1 month later...
On 3/11/2016 at 9:51 PM, sketch said:

Nice set! Rra fan also. Curious on how that burris combo does, keep us informed!

Unbelievable! It handles very natural and fast, and at 100 yards on the bench I went 3/4" on a 3 shot pattern, with factory ammo. The burris combo is a winner, as is RRA!

Holding up and keeping zero really well! The only thing i really dont like is if you have gloves on that fast fire (the red dot) is impossible to turn on. Fat fingers, tiny slightly recessed button. Cant have it all i guess, but even with gloves and huge hands the illumination on the tac30 is very easy to switch on so thats good

• 6 months later...

When started this post almost 5 years ago I never thought I would have a second LAR 8 but here it is. I couldn't pass up the deal. My original rifle has the first gen steel half quad and the mid length has the second gen aluminum half quad rifle length that I had to drill two holes in the bottom picatinny to tighten the gas block. 

20170115_202315.jpg

• 6 months later...

Anyone have any ideas on how to make these more accurate.  I bought mine when I didn't really know much about 308 ARs.  This one can't hit the broad side of a barn.  3 MOA all day long.  Its my understanding you can't rebarrel it due to the FAL mag setup.  I've never taken it apart but I hear the barrel extension is "FAL like". This thing has been taking up space in my safe for 5 years and is probably most effective if used as a club.

20170719_002929.jpg

Welcome MrPaul,

Yes you can swap barrels, RRA sells them. Also the only difference between a RRA barrel and a ar10 is the ridge in the feed ramp on a ar10. Their are a few guys on here who have rechambered their rifles to non RRA calibers. Now for your MOA, what ammo are you running and is this 3 MOA on a sled? 

I've shot everything from match grade sierra 175 and 168 down to cheap Winchester 147 gr.  My century arms AK gets better groups with Tula ammo than this thing gets with match grade. Even put a good optic and trigger on it.  No improvement at all. Its kind of an oddball gun weighs about 9 pounds and still kicks like a mule.  Gave my wife a Nightforce ring around the eye.  Gun has so many issues I never thought of replacing the barrel with another rra barrel. Seemed strange to me.  I have an rra .223 upper on a gun that shoots lights out but this one is a total dog.  The 223 rra got the nightforce and the Geisselie trigger and this one sits in the safe.

Edited by MrPaul

The optic was tight.  It was a Nightforce nsx with a jp mount. I know it wasn't a an issue with the scope because I use it to shoot 4" clays at 600 yds with a 223 and it's pretty hard to mess up mounting a scope with a jp scope mount. I thought it might be the shooter so I had 2 friends shoot it on a sled. One a better shooter than I am.  He was a coast guard sharp shooter and they both got the same results I did.  That was using both federal gold metal match 168 and 175.  We came to the conclusion that this gun is just a dog.  The match grade ammo showed absolutely 0 improvement over $9.99 a box Winchester 147 gr plinking ammo. The gun had a sticker on it that said not to use magtech ammo so we stayed away from it. 

Almost 9 pound trigger pull with the standard rra trigger but the geissele didn't help it either. Not sure I want to spend any more on this gun. I understand it is not a precision rifle but this one is just plain sad.