• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Why shorter barrels may often be better - Article

imschur

Strange they didn't go below 18 " bbl..

I will get a chance this week to see how my 308 ,16" does compared to my 20 ". Just waiting for my bolt stop screw(s).

I have always been one to believe a stiff short bbl. is better than a thin long bbl.. I have built a few 16" carbines & have never used any thing but a med. wt. bbl. .

Since I will never put a launcher on one of these rifles ,the M4 bbl. is useless to me. I guess if you want the look of the M4 rifle ,that's fine ,just not for me .

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm an old bolt guy by training and profession.  My opinions are based on those parameters.  I'm just now delving into the 7.62 AR pattern rifle.  Just got home from playing so I haven't had time to read the articles.  Hopefully I'm not covering material already discussed. 

It all depends on what kind of shooting you intend to do and what your requirements are.  If you are looking for accurancy and down range performance, your barrel length needs to be compatable with the type of round utilized.  If you're throwing 147 to 150 gr down range at paper, then a 16" barrel will provide reasonable accuracy.  However, if you're ranging out past 400 yards and want sub MOA accuracy a 20" barrel is the very minimum.  My bolt gun uses a 24" bul barrel.  My 7.62 AR is a 20" SI Defense SASS heavy profile barrel.  Shooting match ammo (GM 175gr BTHP) anything over a 26" barrel will not enhance terminal performance.  Please remember, I'm only talking about .308-7.62x51 NATO.  Other calibers differ greatly.  A light weight or pencil profile barrel will do nothing for your accurancy.  It all depends on what you intend to use your rifle for.  My bolt and AR are pigs at over 15 pounds each.  Not good for room to room.  But give me open sky and I can hold my own.  Thanks for listening and shoot straight guys.

Interesting reads.  I've recently been at opposite ends of this topic with my chief instructor since I told him about my new 16.5" .308 AR.  He had a blanket claim originally that a carbine-length .308 was too short, but was surprised by the claimed velocities.

Thanks for the links guys!

I just did a comparison with my 16" & my 20" with regards to velocity with my new Chronograph.

There is not much diff. at muzzle (10')

16" BBL. avg. FPS w/XM80C/149 gr. bullet-  2676 fps

20" BBL. avg. FPS w/XM80C/149 gr. bullet -  2781 fps

Diff. --105 fps

16" BBL. avg.  FPS w/ 172 gr. bullet, handloads

2362 fps

20" BBL. avg. FPS w/172 gr. bullet ,handloads

2484 fps.

Diff. --122 fps

Now I know I can boost my handloads up a bit & I  have different bullets to try also & new LC brass (well once fired )

I know once I boost the charge of my hand loads ,the vol. spread difference will decrease.

That's awesome info! It furthers the discussion that every inch beyond the 16th inch will add approximately 25-30 feet per second. The math is right there in the proof. That still puts a .308 supersonic out to 300+ yards with a 16" barrel. I'm ok with that result. I've never had to kill anything beyond that range, besides paper... and even that is an extremely rare occasion. I'm completely sold on the 16 incher.

• 3 months later...
I like my long heavy barrels. Don't have a damn bit of science or logic to back this up with. I think the short, stubby guns look funny.

For my needs, it is a matter of modularity. I look for ease of being able to carry my rifle, loaded with ammo, spares, etc.

Longer barrels add weight, and I prefer longer barrels for bolt-guns.

Although, my AR15 is a 20".

I know my 16" DPMS with HEAVY BARREL holds good thus far at 200 yards.. shot 1 5/8" this past weekend with 10 rounds @ 200yds.  :)

Shot some Hornady 150gr SST & Hornady TAP 110gr.. both rated at 3000 FPS on the boxes..  (to be read ZINGGGGG >>>>>  )

Al

I'm with bcg on this one.....just got that longer, heavier shoots farther, better stuck in my head.....don’t mind carrying extra pound or three...read article some years ago on barrel length affect on handguns. Started at 12" and cut 1" off between tests with no real difference in accuracy till 2"...velocity drop was considerable though....I just work with what I'm used to I guess. ;D

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Me too!  :)

Now that it's built and close to being broken in I'm lookin to do a little tweaking in the recoil reduction department, not that it's all that bad now. It's easier on me than my HK91, which is heavier. And after 20 rounds or so, I end up literally with a bruised black and blue shoulder. Firing over 40 rounds in an afternoon with the AP4-not even sore.

• 2 months later...

Dont know if the barrels longer than 20" help accuracy, but at 26" an 16 pounds I can club somthin with my 22-250 when I run outta ammo....

accuracy is not in part of this  ,with iron sights at extended sight radius for accuracy .now with scopes  but FPS is the key to range and bucking the wind is .....so a stiffer barrel will do the job better etc look at lowlight's shotting at sniperhind with a 16'' barreled ar-10 config ....