• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

And so it begins....

Guill732

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really surprised. We all kinda knew that this typical, knee-jerk reaction would come flowing out of our government after Friday. All we can do is, like you say, get on the phones to our elected officials and kindly remind them that not all of us mentally disturbed / sick and twisted / emotionally unstable / fucked in the head......insert descsription of sicko here.

As usual....it's the weapons fault, and not the demented person using it. This disgust's me.

The boilerplate of this bill has been sitting in Feinsteins office for several years.

She has just been waiting for the right time to bring it to the surface.

As Rohm Emanuel said, "never let a crisis go to waste", and Feinstein has never strayed from that philosophy.

We are in for what will be the fight of our lives the next few years. The only good thing that will come from this is that it is going to get people on the record, there will be no wishy-washy about it, and those who don't support the Constitution are going to have to come out of the closet, as it were.

Once they do, people will have a clear choice come the 2014 election.

I am gonna start sending the NRA a few bucks when I can. It won't be much because I just don't have much to give, but it will be some.

The victims that milked another shooting now speak:

http://www.tucsonweekly.com/TheRange/archives/2012/12/16/us-rep-ron-barber-we-must-take-action-to-deal-with-the-easy-availability-of-assault-weapons-and-extended-magazines

We have to push and push HARD to train and arm school staff and volunteers, no compromises.

Jon

I am to new here to send anyone to such a horrible fate i abstain! The scary part is not these bills the scary part is the people behind them they are the ones who have no clue what this country is they live in a fairy tail world where everyone sings kumbye ya our education program is very much to blame for this we need to be teaching real history not the made up clean kind that is taught in schools today the world is a hard place this is not new it has always been like this.. there have always been evil people in the world and there always will be it is the nature of the species any species!

Hopefully someone will suggest mental illness control instead of gun control.  We have no mechanism to deal with mentally ill people.  Although, I don't expect Congress to take up that legislation since most of them may be subject to it based on their actions in the past couple of years. .

On top of that, targeting mentally ill beyond what we already do is opening up a whole new very dangerous can of worms which can potentially put everyone on this board in jeopardy. Only a very tiny speck of the mentally ill people who show the warning signs actually go out and kill people. It's like bombing an entire city to kill one terrorist. That's why we have laws that only restrict mentally ill who have proven to either be highly dysfunctional or have posed a genuine threat to peaceable citizens.

When you start going after people based on doctor/psychologist opinion and symptoms alone (which is what they'll ultimately have to do), you'll quickly see a huge portion of the American population loose their gun rights. In fact, all you need is to go through some serious hard times (loose your job, home, loved one etc.) and seek a little counseling, and your gun rights could be out the window, and I imagine allot of people are vulnerable to that right now.

If you want to reduce this problem, you have to change the culture in ways our culture is unwilling to change. So these school massacres are going to continue, regardless of what we do about gun laws.

Bottom line, if you want to make a difference, start in the mirror. Changing the laws for better or worse will do nothing to improve the situation. For the most part, safety and quality of life are improved by culture, not government.

Duce much of what you said is dead nut on..

However, as a guy who more than once dealt with a M.H. system that simply doesn't work, there is more to it than that. Municipalities and counties just don't have the infrastructure in place to hold people.

As a deputy I had more than one run-in with a "crisis worker" who wanted to let some guy go after I spent 2 hours talking him out of eating a shotgun, and as a sergeant I saw it go as bad as it can get.

Locking down those who desperately need it, and who society needs to be protected from, is very expensive an it isn't a priority. I could go on and on about the blatant failures of the system, and I have gone so far as to write elected officials...never heard back.

It comes down to plausible deniability...if they can claim they don't know then they can get away with not doing anything about it...of course I sent everything registered and kept copies of all the stuff I sent up the chain, which is probably why I never made it past Sgt., LOL

Duce much of what you said is dead nut on..

However, as a guy who more than once dealt with a M.H. system that simply doesn't work, there is more to it than that. Municipalities and counties just don't have the infrastructure in place to hold people.

As a deputy I had more than one run-in with a "crisis worker" who wanted to let some guy go after I spent 2 hours talking him out of eating a shotgun, and as a sergeant I saw it go as bad as it can get.

Locking down those who desperately need it, and who society needs to be protected from, is very expensive an it isn't a priority. I could go on and on about the blatant failures of the system, and I have gone so far as to write elected officials...never heard back.

It comes down to plausible deniability...if they can claim they don't know then they can get away with not doing anything about it...of course I sent everything registered and kept copies of all the stuff I sent up the chain, which is probably why I never made it past Sgt., LOL

Being LE myself my observation mirror yours, the so called system is so screwed up, be it, mental health, judicial, legislative etc. etc. no one wants to do their jobs, it's pass the buck to the next guy and hope it does not come back in your lap. No one is held accountable anymore, thats why you CYA.

I am retired 30 years military and I was held accountable as I held others accountable when I was the one in charge be it state side or the desert. The momment I heard the news from Conn. I was at the LGS and all the LE phones started ringing. It is timing, and the time is prime for the gun control to hit the fan.

Damn, Jon, you are just wrong, brother.  I could wreck that like it's never been wrecked before, but I wouldn't touch it with your penis, and Drew pushing...  :cookoo:

I concur on the mental illness part of ALL of this conversation - outside, or course, of Jon's mental fantasy about that wretched woman.

Here's what get's me - you get Lautenberg'd (domestic violence), there's a FAST reporting vehicle for that, and you'll never pass a 4473 call-in AGAIN.  Ever.  So, there's a reporting vehicle for that.  There's a question for it on the 4473, too.

There's the question about being ordered for a mental "issue" by a court on the 4473, but there's no fucking nationwide reporting vehicle for it, back to the ATF.  You can be pretty seriouslt fucked up in the head, courts can know about it, but they either can't or won't or don't get that damn info to the ATF - and whacko's buy guns. 

WHY is that?

Because this country doesn't take Mental Illness seriously.