• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Lower Cost Red Dots

So, I am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I'm in the middle of ordering all the remaining parts for my AR308 build, but I have gotten stuck on optics.

I would love to buy an Eotech holographic or even a Trijicon ACOG. But, that is just not going to happen right now. $$$$

I originally planned to go with fixed iron sights until I decided to upgrade to an Eotech. But, I let myself get the idea of using a lower cost red dot in my head.

I mainly plan to use this gun for hog hunting in rough conditions and relatively short distances. But, lets say for the sake of range use and any other uses I find that I won't ever demand more than 300 yards out of this gun with these optics. The idea would be to have quick target acquisition but stay capable out to 300 yards. Not competitive level accuracy. I just need to hit something.

As you all know, you can easily spend a good bit of money on sights/optics of any kind. Im looking at the $100-$200 range. What do y'all think? Should I go with iron sights or a red dot to hold me over while I wait on a pricier optic?

Examples:

http://www.opticsplanet.com/bushnell-1x25-trophy-series-riflescope-trs-25-red-dot-731303.html

http://www.opticsplanet.com/browning-buckmark-reflex-sight.html

http://www.opticsplanet.com/bushnell-first-strike-illuminated-red-dot-sight.html

https://troyind.com/products/fixed-rear-sight-blk

https://troyind.com/products/fixed-hk-sight-blk

Edited by Gray05

Hands down, Bushnell TRS-25. Excellent value, well built, works very well. I got two myself.

FYI

TRS-25 + UTG Medium (0.83") Riser = Absolute Co-witness 

TRS-25 + UTG High (1") Riser = Lower 1/3 Co-witness

I got a Burris Fastfire III mini reflex sight piggybacked on my Vortex scope tube on the 308.

Edited by shibiwan

Hands down, Bushnell TRS-25. Excellent value. I got two myself.

FYI

TRS-25 + UTG Medium (0.83") Riser = Absolute Co-witness 

TRS-25 + UTG High (1") Riser = Lower 1/3 Co-witness

Are you using that on a .308 gun? No problems with losing zero from recoil or shock?

Are you using that on a .308 gun? No problems with losing zero from recoil or shock?

No, that's on my 5.56. It's the beater that I toss and kick around but the zero never shifts, even after I take it off and put it on again (the UTG is a QD/tactical type riser that comes off without tools).

My 308 has the 6-24x50 Vortex PST FFP MRAD + the Burris Fastfire III.

If you're looking at a REALLY GOOD VALUE check this one out. $250ish for a reputable brand illuminated FFP scope is unheard of. I've got it installed on my 300 AAC. 

1-4x is a good magnification range for a CQB-mid range scope. At 1x it acts like an RDS with a horseshoe reticle. Zoom to 4X and the reticle zooms along with it to show the bullet drop marks.

I'd buy a cheapie RDS for now and then save up for good glass later.

Edited by shibiwan

Here's some great deals on returned TRS-25's from Amazon. I've bought returns from amazon and never had any issues with them. Most of the items you can't tell the difference between used and new.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00200E0HM/sr=/qid=/ref=olp_prime_all?ie=UTF8&colid=&coliid=&condition=all&me=&qid=&seller=&shipPromoFilter=1&sort=sip&sr=

Edited by shibiwan

OP, look at Primary Arms for lower cost red dots - their own brand, from their store.  I probably have more than 1/2 dozen of them, and haven't broken one yet.  No failures of any kind, at all.  One of them is mounted on my Ruger GSR, and I can guarantee that rifle kicks a hell of alot more than any 308 AR. 

Looks like you mostly have HUD red dot sights in that group . I have a Vortex Strike Fire & Deer hunted with it once , even though I didn't shoot any thing with it , its a nice set up . Seems to be a soundly made unit , I had it on & sighted it in with a 12 ga. slug gun . Got to put the dot on two bucks , but was Buck tagged out already . 

I also have a vortex strikefire have had it for 2 years it has either a red or green dot and is tough I use it on a carbine 5.56 on the atv when wolf huntingit has been banged around a lot and has never shifted zero and the dot is very tight , in fact it is a better dot than my eotechs... and I have not changed batteries yet ..

OP, look at Primary Arms for lower cost red dots - their own brand, from their store.  I probably have more than 1/2 dozen of them, and haven't broken one yet.  No failures of any kind, at all.  One of them is mounted on my Ruger GSR, and I can guarantee that rifle kicks a hell of alot more than any 308 AR.

Me too.....they work...get a 3x multiplier...... cheap but keeps on truckin :) Wash

I don't seem to have the problems with my Strike fire , that they had . The Vortex ,Strike fire is the fist red dot scope I have bought , but not the first I've used. I have no problem seeing the dot in the bright sun light here in Florida  ,but have to agree it is a larger unit then the others tested . What they call bulkiness , to me its built like a tank & what they didn't try ,was how they performed in cold weather , I did & the Vortex worked every time I used it .

Any testing like this has its ups & downs , but why use a sight that you know is malfunctioning , how is that a fair comparison to the others that are in perfect working order ?

Dang, you werent kiddin; which one has served you best? 

https://www.primaryarms.com/Red-Dot-Mount-Bundles-s/5786.htm

I think I have 5 or 6 of them.  I have ONE of the Aimpoint M3-clone sights, and it's on my son's rifle.  That thing is tough.  All the rest are the micro-red dot flavors.  They say MD-06 now, but I have different numbers/models of them through the years.  I'll dig them out of the safe and list them all, but they're all the same basic style, micro-red dot.  The little fuckers are tough. 

The one on the Ruger GSR is my testament - that thing has to eat alot - ALOT - of recoil, and it still keeps going. 

I've got a Bushnell TRS-25 on something.  It literally is the same damn thing as the Primary Arms sights, just with a different angle on the on/off/brightness knob.

Thanks for all the feedback. Don't stop the conversation, this is all good info.

I stumbled across a deal I couldn't pass up on an Eotech 512. Spent more than what I listed in the OP but spent a lot less than I thought I needed for a holographic.

I stumbled across a deal I couldn't pass up on an Eotech 512. Spent more than what I listed in the OP but spent a lot less than I thought I needed for a holographic.

You can grab those laser battery caps now too. They replace the battery cap on your 512/552, and run off the regular batteries inside.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/01/14/eotech-laser-battery-cap-512552-sights/