• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Received some new batches of Cerakote...

98Z5V

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh, there was only one attempt at this one.  I made damn sure that oven was clean before sticking gun parts in there.  <thumbsup>

I just don't want anybody trying out Cerakote and thinking it sucks, just because they still have last year's "Christmas Ham remnants" in the bottom of their oven...  <lmao>

Edited by 98Z5V

Can't even tell it was done in the house, guys.  No stinking up the house, no residual smell, nothing.  Dirk, you could pull this while Dusty was at work, and she wouldn't even know you'd done it.  <thumbsup>

Make sure you clean your oven really, really well before you do this - if it's all nasty inside, that's gonna be in the heat when your parts are cooking.  Clean your ovens!!!

Hell, if I cleaned the oven that would be a dead giveaway to my wife that I was doing something with it that I wasn't supposed to be doing. I already got caught several years back when I did a bake on coating from Brownells that stunk up the place. Did I ever tell you guys that I don't have any sense of smell? <laughs>

Larry, the 300BLK EOTech is model XPS2-300.   That designation is now changed on EOTech's website, and they're just listing it as the "Model 300" now.

http://www.eotechinc.com/holographic-weapon-sights/model-300

There's probably a $hit-ton if retail websites still calling it the XPS2-300, though.

Cool thing about this reticle is:

Blackout-Whisper-Zero-297x204.jpg

1 MOA center dots - I've talked about those in previous Aimpoint-vs-EOTech threads.  Two aiming dots, for 100 and 300.  It's tough to setup a zero on a 300Blackout optic and HAVE a zero at 100 yards and 300 yards - it's in the ballistics of the round.  This gives you that.  BUT... 

The bottom of that 65 MOA outer circle - you place the bottom of the circle on your target, and it's zero'd for 7 yards.

This optic can do it all for 300BLK.  That's damn awesome badassery, right there.  <thumbsup>

Edited by 98Z5V

I'll let you know how an EOTech does in the oven, in about a week.  I should be spraying another rifle coming up very soon.  You'll see what happens with Patriot Brown bake-on, and the plastic battery cover. 

My MagPul plastic did great at 170 degrees and 3 hours, so the EOTech 512 battery cover should do just fine, also.  I'll confirm its inherent resilience to heat with pictures here...  <lmao>

EDIT - info for others.  I'm not baking the whole damn holographic sight.  Just the outer hood and battery cover...  :eek: :bitchslap:

I am NOT looking forward to breaking this bastard down and sandblasting it... 

post-7-0-77080800-1408422607_thumb.jpg

Edited by 98Z5V

Did you bake the barrel in the oven or air dry it ?

I let it air dry . I also painted a couple of lowers with it one of them I coated heaveier than the other . the heavier coat started to texture. So I stripped in laquar and recoated . 3 or 4 light coats worked the best for me.

1 MOA center dots - I've talked about those in previous Aimpoint-vs-EOTech threads.  Two aiming dots, for 100 and 300.  It's tough to setup a zero on a 300Blackout optic and HAVE a zero at 100 yards and 300 yards - it's in the ballistics of the round.  This gives you that.  BUT... 

The bottom of that 65 MOA outer circle - you place the bottom of the circle on your target, and it's zero'd for 7 yards.

This optic can do it all for 300BLK.  That's damn awesome badassery, right there.  <thumbsup>

That's the beauty of the 300 BLK.

Zero in at 100 yards (subs) and you're zeroed at 200 yards for supers (110-130gr), The 1/2 range math works beautiully up to 300 yards or so.

Here's the trajectory table from AAC for a 100/200 yard zero.

300%2Baac%2Btrajectory.jpg

Back to the topic on hand:

Here's what I have to cerakote tonight.

20140826_114453.jpg

Edited by shibiwan