• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Received some new batches of Cerakote...

98Z5V

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Fukc, the EOTech lived.  It survived the heat, which I expected, but $HIT!@ 

I mixed up some patriot Brown, and "lightened it" a little with the left-over Snow White.  Well, I added a little Snow White while mixing it, and it didn't change a damn thing.  I added a little more Snow White, and it didn't change a damn thing.  I added a LITTLE MORE SNOW WHITE...  and it looked good in the bottle.  I shot the parts, baked them that night. 

They came out light gray.   Fucked the whole thing up. 

Just ordered some more Cerakote tonight, picked a few colors, and will have some interesting $hit coming up.  Hopefully, I'll have the new paint by Wednesday, and I can paint it on Thursday.  I' tired of this gun being apart.  I'll post a pic of how fucked up it turned out - when I'm not so bummed about it. 

Doesn't change too much when heated.  I'll tell you, though - Patriot Brown looks almost black in the bottle, unless you really eyeball it.  Everything is "lighter" once it's baked - for the bake-on stuff.  The air-dry stuff pretty much looks like it does in the bottle, once cured.

Pics 1, 2, and 3 below are how bad this stuff came out.  Woulda been a GREAT mix to use for a "light gray" on her 300BLK Ghost Gun.  Not so well on old Sexual Chocolate, here.  Sucks.

I learned something, though - Snow White is NO JOKE!!!   :eek:   Don't get crazy if you're using that stuff to cut colors!~!!  :bat: :hail:

Pic 4 below is my rescue, on the way from Brownell's, as we speak.  There's enough of it to fix this rifle.  There's probably enough of it to spray a couple Springfields, too.  I think the XD-45 and XDs are gonna GET IT!

post-7-0-07950100-1411454618_thumb.jpg

post-7-0-04394700-1411454627_thumb.jpg

post-7-0-86062800-1411454634_thumb.jpg

post-7-0-24011700-1411454665_thumb.jpg

I don't follow you , whats wrong with the color ?  Are you talking about the gray ? Pic # 4 is a photo of a SA compact  & did you also paint that ?

Didn't paint that XDs.  That just shows the two colors I've got on the way from Brownells - Dark Earth and Burnt Bronze - bot on the same pistol.  I will paint my XDs just like that, though, and the XD-45, too.

The Dark Earth is going on all those ugly gray parts on old Sexual Chocolate, there.

We need to get a color-pool going here. 

I need to pick up some air-cure paints, probably Patriot Brown and Dark Earth.  Wondering if I should go for the 16oz bottles.  Maybe just 4oz in those two, and a few more 16oz bottles of the heat-cure stuff.

Shoot me what you want shot with paint, brother.  I'll fire it up and get it back within a week here.  I have Thursday and Sundays off, so I can sit in the blast cabinet the day prior, paint it the next day, and get it out again.

Lemme know what you're looking at for a color, and what you want painted. 

I'm getting ready to paint some custom knuckles on a Jeep front axle for a guy - he's trying to determine the color now.  He powdercoated them bright green, but didn't like it.  He had them in the blast cabinet at work yesterday...  <lmao>

My new bottles of Dark Earth and Burnt Bronze will be here Tuesday.  That light gray $hit goes back in the cabinet on Wednesday, painting it Thursday, and putting that damn rifle back together that afternoon.  I hate having a rifle apart. 

Only need a little of the Dark Earth to finish that rifle, so I'll have enough left over for the XD-45 lower - and I'll get the slide with the Burnt Bronze.  I need to do the rifle paint and the XD-45 both, at the same time.  $hit gonna go down on Thursday!!! 

Edited by 98Z5V

It's not - just make sure you cover well.  I took all my parts down to bare metal in the blast cabinet, so I wasn't working on covering black parts - they were just raw aluminum.  About 2.5oz out of the 4oz bottle covered a 10" hanguard, upper and lower, and carbine receiver extension.  Didn't cover any hole in the lower, just shot it with the paint.  The BADASS safety was a little stiff to move at first, but it loosened right up.  Trigger and hammer pins went right in, no problem, as well as everything else.  I think pics of that rifle are earlier in this thread.

EDIT - Pics of it are on pages 4 and 5. 

Edited by 98Z5V

It's not - just make sure you cover well.  I took all my parts down to bare metal in the blast cabinet, so I wasn't working on covering black parts - they were just raw aluminum.  About 2.5oz out of the 4oz bottle covered a 10" hanguard, upper and lower, and carbine receiver extension.  Didn't cover any hole in the lower, just shot it with the paint.  The BADASS safety was a little stiff to move at first, but it loosened right up.  Trigger and hammer pins went right in, no problem, as well as everything else.  I think pics of that rifle are earlier in this thread.

EDIT - Pics of it are on pages 4 and 5. 

Thanks for the reply. Very nice. well done. my upper and lower are raw. I will need to sandblast the hand guard. What is your suggestion regarding: spraying the  80% lower pryor or after finishing?  So you had no problem with any of the pins on the lower by spraying over?

Machine it first, and finalize the lower.  Build it and test fire it to make sure you machined everything right.  Once it fires, rip it apart and paint it.

It would suck - SUCK - to machine it and paint it, or worse yet, paint it then THEN machine it - to find out that something was off, and you wasted $35 for 4oz of Cerakote.

This is the 3rd one I've done with Cerakote, and I haven't masked any holes in the lower or upper.  Everything goes together great, with painted holes.  This stuff goes on at 0.0005"~0.001".  5 TEN-THOU to 1 THOU. It goes on pretty damn thin.  <thumbsup>

I was heavy on that Snow White, and the only thing I thought I messed up was not cleaning out the safety selector hole before baking.  Baked it, installed the safety, and it loosened up with one drop of lube. 

Get after it, man!  <lmao>

Machine it first, and finalize the lower.  Build it and test fire it to make sure you machined everything right.  Once it fires, rip it apart and paint it.

It would suck - SUCK - to machine it and paint it, or worse yet, paint it then THEN machine it - to find out that something was off, and you wasted $35 for 4oz of Cerakote.

This is the 3rd one I've done with Cerakote, and I haven't masked any holes in the lower or upper.  Everything goes together great, with painted holes.  This stuff goes on at 0.0005"~0.001".  5 TEN-THOU to 1 THOU. It goes on pretty damn thin.  <thumbsup>

I was heavy on that Snow White, and the only thing I thought I messed up was not cleaning out the safety selector hole before baking.  Baked it, installed the safety, and it loosened up with one drop of lube. 

Get after it, man!  <lmao>

Good advice.  My first one done went fine but that does not mean the next one will (well almost).  To many irons in the fire. Since retirement I have started to many projects at once. :banana:  Thanks for the reply.