• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New to the forum

Craig127

Hey guys love this site, learned a lot already and looking forward to more good information. I read the article "What scope for the .308" and learned that I had purchased the very scope discussed in this article. I finally got to go to the range and found that I am having a heck of a time sighting this scope. First round down range at 25 yards asked for six inches of adjustment. Not possible! Adjust the scope mount on the pictinny rails, and found myself inside the one inch range. Good to go. next two rounds in the bull, third round off the target. I love the scope and everything about it. Question is, has anyone else had any trouble like this, where should I start to correct it? Is this a mount dysfunction? I did realize when I mounted the scope that no torque specs were given for the mount, so I used a "SWAG" and tightened them up. Not sure what is moving, I do not believe it's the scope, yea, yea always the possibility of shooter error, but we won't go there. Any way I am not sure if there is another type or style of mount that may work better. If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

25~28 INCH pounds on the mount-to-scope, then 65 INCH pounds locking the mount to the rifle.

Always a good rule on those specs, and it should work for every mount out there.  Use a good torque wrench, something that is definitely repeatable.

Make sure the scope is mounted tight before you move forward - eliminate that as a possibility first.

Welcome aboard, man.