• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Ordered a new complete upper

wfojon

Damn..  here we go again with yet another entry into this market doing it their own way and further confusing this shits out of everyone and everything. 

On the other hand this is why you buy matched uppers and lowers from the same mfgr.   Good luck with getting the teething issues sorted out guys.  Pics would be handy as well so we can see exactly what's going on with it. <thumbsup>

I was concerned about that....so I called Aero Precision to contrast their new forged receivers.  They said their are completely DPMS compatible, thought the pivot pin may be a little short.  They sell a pivot pin that will fit for $8.  Other than that, all DPMS parts work, and it used the higher rail height.

That would make a true matched forged set of stripped receivers $328 with the pivot pin from AP.

So more bad news from PSA.  At this point, I don't think even having a matched set will be good enough, because they didn't do their homework.  Turns out the mag release is proving not to be compatible, and that the SSA-E trigger indeed isn't compatible, as evidently "the hammer is too high," (read that as "we made our lower too LOW) and impacts the BCG, preventing function.  I get the feeling that they didn't do any testing at all before releasing this, and only got the length to fit to claim compatibility.

As of now, triggers, pins, bolt catch, magazine release, buffer tubes, buffers, and DPMS upper parts will apparently not work, and I don't know if the safety will, although I've confirmed the grip at least does work.

In their place I'd be paying for a recall, and retooling the whole thing so it doesn't suck, but we'll see how they handle things.  Seriously, how can you advertise that it was designed to be compatible with AR-15 trigger groups without actually having it be compatible with the SSA-E?

At this point, my recommendation is to avoid PSA for 308 parts at all costs.

-edit-  I just got a call from the PSA rep I've been working with.  The SSA and DMR triggers have been tested and DO work.  The SSA-E is a fraction of an inch too high, so PSA will issue a return label for folks like me, and we can send in the lower and trigger and they'll modify it to work properly.  The customer service reps dealing with this are scheduled to go to the manufacturing department next week to seek more information on the variety of questions they've received, so hopefully they'll get more information, but they do look to be working to resolve customer issues.  He tells me that they were assured that the uppers would work with Gen 1 DPMS lowers, so those of you having issues should definitely get in touch with them so they can figure out what the issue is with your lowers, and see about getting you and others with the same problem taken care of.

Edited by crimsonfalcon07

I was concerned about that....so I called Aero Precision to contrast their new forged receivers. They said their are completely DPMS compatible, thought the pivot pin may be a little short. They sell a pivot pin that will fit for $8. Other than that, all DPMS parts work, and it used the higher rail height.

That would make a true matched forged set of stripped receivers $328 with the pivot pin from AP.

In my experience so far this is accurate.

I used APs new upper and lower on the build I'm completing along with their LPK and no troubles yet.

It is the high profile and matches up perfectly with the high profile SS rail from Midwest Industries.

With a Rainier select barrel, matched bolt, DPMS carrier and buffer tube assy, I have zero issues charging the weapon and it locks back on an empty PMAG just like you would expect it to. I still need to install my gas system and torque everything down before I can run any ammo through it, but initial impressions with the AP setup are promising.

Edited by AdamO

So the CS types have said multiple times that they've been 100% assured that DPMS Gen 1 uppers should work with their lowers, and vice versa BUT the experiences in this thread indicate that they might have screwed the pooch somehow.  At this point I think you buy at your own risk.

With regards to AR-15 takedown pins, other users have reported that the AR-15 pins are too loose.  The pins are supposedly proprietary, and I haven't heard anything confirmed yet that disputes that.

I'm not 100% comfortable with their proposed fix for the trigger, which is to grind down the trigger part a little, although in their defense, they have said that if they damage the trigger, they will compensate the users for it.  I think I'm going to want that in writing if I decide to take them up on the offer.

Well, another update on the PA 10 upper I started the thread with. I ended up stripping the PSA upper and using a DPMS upper and finished the build. The PSA bolt, barrel and hand guard are all compatible with the DPMS upper and it functions great now. The 16 inch barrel makes the gun as easy to handle as an AR15. I like it now despite all the hassles...anyone looking for a PSA PA10 stripped upper? <thumbsup> 

Jon

• 1 month later...

This is an warning to anyone thinking of purchasing an Palmetto PA10. I ordered two lowers at the original price of 159.99 each along with their PA10 upper with 18" socom barrel for 599.99. After paying the transfer fees I was able to bring them home and put together. Well, let me tell everyone THEY WOULD NOT FUNCTION. So my friend had an DPMS lower and we tried to fit the upper onto that and THEY WOULD NOT FUNCTION! So I contacted Palmetto and was told TOO BAD at first. Then I spoke with Brandon and he advised me to ship everything back to Palmetto and they would put them together and check function. I did that at which point Brandon forced me to purchase their own lower parts kit and they would install for me. I did that and then they shipped me the parts kit. After three weeks I was frustrated as nowhere on their site does it state their lowers and uppers are proprietary. Then after days of waiting for a reply finally Brandon said they would install and I would return the kit I had purchased. Never did they explain why only certain AR15 triggers would operate in these nor did they complete what I was promised after spending time and money purchasing what he stated I must purchase. I demanded an complete refund including my transfer fees which I was DENIED! They only refunded my purchases yet IMHO they fraudulently advertised something which does not operate and very well could be deadly! So in closing this company is not honoring their word and will more than likely use your money without performing the work as these lowers are a complete failure and absolute JUNK! They know this yet continue to push them on the public. My advice to everyone is DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM PALMETTO UNTIL THEY HONOR THEIR WORD and COMPENSATE ALL WHOM HAVE TRIED TO SUPPORT THEM! These PA10 lowers are in actuality elongated AR15 lowers and from my experience inoperable! This is my opinion yet had they been able to make them functional I am sure they would have in the time they had with mine! Instead they ignored my emails and seem to keep having excuses to not honor their side after I honored mine. Avoid them like ebola as there are many other companies whom value the customer unlike Palmetto State Armory. Oh and to everyone good luck contacting them as their message box is so full you cannot leave a message. Hmmm, wonder why. NOT!

::)  <- This is my shocked face...

Not surprised at all. Don't think they ever advertised it as being LR-308 compatible though.

You do seem to be the first having an issue when both a PA10 upper and lower are used together though.

Edited by FaRKle!

This is directed at all .

Why do some people who build AR type firearms think they are like Leg-go's . You are building a Firearm & that requires fitting of components to achieve its proper function. With a small explosion going off every time you pull the trigger, you could be playing with your life.

Because someone has built an AR & it worked , that all will be that way , most get lucky with the AR 15 Platform , not so with the 308 AR's for the most part .

I have no problem with people building there own rifles , but with out prior experience with these type rifles , you run the risk or something like this happening .You are making yourself a gunsmith & a Gunsmith would have to get this rifle working if he/she built it, thats what they do.

You can't expect PA to fix rifle builds that they did not assemble at the factory. If you wanted a PA rifle , have them build it & then deal with the warranty if its screwed up .

308 AR's have more fitment problems than the AR 15 platform because of the wide variations of platforms out there & no MilSpec's to be manufactured by .

You can say I'm insulting the reader who has numerous builds under his/her's belt , but the facts are , your just an assembler ,not a Gunsmith  & you will not hear a Gunsmith complain about a build he or she assembled & fitted , that they couldn't get it to function  !

My point is , with any build you do , some of the responsibility for its out come , is on you ,the builder . Its too easy to blame the manufacturer of the components . 

while I generally agree with that statement, I don't think its 100% applicable here. PSA advertised the parts were compatible, and they are not. a gunsmith may be able to make non compatible parts work, but why when there are plenty on compatible systems out there? PSA needs to refund everybody that doesn't want to inherit the hassle they created. I'm more worried about a manufacturer that has no clue than an assembler.

Edited by blue109