• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Dog Attacks! What Say You?

planeflyer21

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It makes some sense as far as the stance. In Uechi Ryu Karate, the Sanchin stance is everything as far as defence. A good stance if practiced gives you incredible strength and leverage. Unless it is a trained attack dog, or defending its owner, most dogs will lose interest if you face them down. IIf it attacks and you have no weapon, think aggressive. A dogs mouth has its best leverage at the front to middle of its jaw. If your definitely gonna get bit, step into it and jam your forearm all the way to the back of the dogs mouth, using your other hand to grab the back of his head pull it towards you. With the forearm at the back of his jaw bone he cannot get leverage to really bite down, and you may even be able to dislocate his jaw if you can apply enough force. Sweep his legs and fall on top of him. This puts you in the dominant position in canine language, on top, and immobilizing his main weapon, his teeth. Most dogs at this point will urinate and submit. If not, consider keeping his head forced between your forearm and the ground and grabbing his windpipe with your free hand and cutting off his air supply until he is dead or unconcious. If you have a bar, a nightstick, or a club, think the same, only jam that in his mouth instead of the forearm. The sooner you immobilize its mouth the safer your gonna be. With a dog that aggressive, you will most likely sustain some damage, but probably more if you try to run.

Park 'em.  Two in the torso.  If they're attacking you, they mean business, and you'll have a damn tough time trying to take out the dog hand-to-hand, even if you're Gracie Jiu Jitsu trained.

If you're unarmed, you better be Gracie-trained in Jiu Jitsu...  You're fucking done.  <lmao>

Two in the torso is definitely the preferred method, because you will sustain damage to yourself unless you are wearing one hell of a lot of clothes. As far as Brazilian Ju Jitsu, it is excellent. Trained in it for a time in my younger days. A bunch of us cross trained in a lot of different specialties before it became known as mixed martial arts. I mentioned the Sanchin stance, because that is one that can withstand the impact of a large animal, or man, and still leave you the ability to respond or retaliate. Now that age has slowed me down, that martial art known as .45 JHP definitely is the preferred method of self defence.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanchin

Well, fail or not. I'd be damned if I'm gonna go without a fight. I will attempt the Sisco Stance. Curl into a ball and surrender won't be an option. I don't go anywhere without a decent blade. I'm gonna get bit, but that's going to be a real unhappy dog very quickly.

Edited by DNP

Ah yes. My four legged, fur coat wearing, flea bag partners.... They are like heat seeking chainsaws. I have watched as they have literally devoured people. I swear to God I looked at a suspects leg and thought, "holy shitt, where's that guys calf muscle?" The only thing left was that mutts bloody smile.... and they do smile!!!

K9's are not to be looked at as pets or even animals. They are tools that have been honed to [near]deadly capacity.... That being said, they are only as good as the handler. I have seen waaaaaay too many wasted beasts. They were as worthless as their two-legged counterparts, just waiting on retirement.

Ah yes. My four legged, fur coat wearing, flea bag partners.... They are like heat seeking chainsaws. I have watched as they have literally devoured people. I swear to God I looked at a suspects leg and thought, "holy shitt, where's that guys calf muscle?" The only thing left was that mutts bloody smile.... and they do smile!!!

K9's are not to be looked at as pets or even animals. They are tools that have been honed to [near]deadly capacity.... That being said, they are only as good as the handler. I have seen waaaaaay too many wasted beasts. They were as worthless as their two-legged counterparts, just waiting on retirement.

Interesting perspective. If you are going up against a well trained beast, yep KYA goodbye. If you are going up against a dog that has simply been trained to be aggressive without any other training, you have a chance to survive with some injuries. Like Robo says, only as good as the handler. I have been attacked by just aggressive dogs three times in my life. Got bit twice but except for some interesting scars, have nothing to show for it. One was a Weimeriner, the other a chow. Key was neither was a trained K9. I can't think about any scenario where I am going to even try to resist a trained K9, since I tend to be a law abiding sort. A simple aggressive dog, that is another story. Lucky for me the jammed forearm worked both times. No guarantee it would work now, since I am 30 years older, and a lot weaker and slower, So a 45 JHP is a much better option. Back then, concealed carry permits were next to impossible to get in our area, the upper midwest. So if a dog attacked, you better have an edged weapon out quick, or you were relying on basic skills.

I know that somewhere in the back of my brain, but that little evil "Tom" devil on my shoulder whispers "Yeah, but you should do it anyways just to know what it's like..."

I said that about pepper spray and tazers, too.  That was a stupid decision...  :ugone2far:

I certainly do know, without a doubt in my mind, that I never, ever want to be hit by either pepper spray or a fucking tazer again in my life.  :fawkdance:   I respect that shits.  :hail:

I said that about pepper spray and tazers, too. That was a stupid decision... :ugone2far:

I certainly do know, without a doubt in my mind, that I never, ever want to be hit by either pepper spray or a fucking tazer again in my life. :fawkdance: I respect that shits. :hail:

Yeah but you manned up and took the hit, it's what we love about you, and now you have the story to tell about it.

I thought I'd been through enough Army CS Chambers that the pepper spray wouldn't be that bad.  I fucked up on that assumption.  Badly.  :eek:

The Tazer was a hell of a ride.  I was shaking for awhile after that.  I thought I $hit myself during that, but I was wrong.  It's a pretty confusing ordeal...  :ugone2far:

Haven't seen too much mention of knives on dogs.  My buddy's daughter was bitten by a pit running loose.  He grabbed his K-Bar, planning on using Sisco's forearm technique to occupy the dog's mouth while giving it a nice zipper cut, through the gut and sternum.

By that time though the owner had the dog caught and back inside, wouldn't come out to the sidewalk.

I thought I'd been through enough Army CS Chambers that the pepper spray wouldn't be that bad.  I fucked up on that assumption.  Badly.  :eek:

The Tazer was a hell of a ride.  I was shaking for awhile after that.  I thought I $hit myself during that, but I was wrong.  It's a pretty confusing ordeal...  :ugone2far:

The first pepper spray issued by AZDOC was nearly worthless.  Anyone using crushed red pepper on a regular basis and rubbing their eyes could handle it.

The new stuff...not so much.

Sabre Red. It's what we use. You might get 5 seconds of tough guy. Maybe. Then it's all snot, tears, and crying for momma!

There was an inmate with a mental issue at the level 4 yard, who was mooselimb also.  The COs were worried about dealing with him, 'cause they always scream about religious rights.  One day he pushed too far, wouldn't comply with commands to cuff-up, so they sprayed him.

Not a very strong faith in aloha snackbar, as he dropped to his knees and screamed "OH HELP ME JESUS CHRIST!!"  <laughs>

Fastest conversion ever.