• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Barrel and handguard opinions (and saying hello)

Luconi

Hi All! first post here.In the midst of building an LR308 that I've been wanting for a long time, so it made sense to join up 308AR to start asking questions.

I'm using an Aero precision matched upper/lower receiver and have the lower populated and ready to go. Now i'm shopping around for upper components. I've generally just been opportunistic with purchasing during sales to keep costs low.

1) I'm looking for a threaded 18" barrel and noticed the CMMG can be found for a little over $200. Specs seem decent on it too. Has anyone had first hand experience with the quality of these barrels?

http://www.cmmginc.com/product_p/38dcc0a.htm

2) For the handguard, i'm looking at the UTG super slim free float rail. Anyone have experience with this rail? I plan on using a Troy low profile gas block to clear it.

http://www.leapers.com/prod_detail.php?mitem=mount&itemno=MTU020SSB

havnt really seen anything bad about the utg rail yet. should be good as long as the AP upper uses the dpms high profile.

consider a 16" barrel. many of us built with 18s for whatever reason and now realize we would have had the same performance with a shorter more compact setup.

Edited by blue109

Take a look at Alex Pro Firearms...

I used  there 16 inch barrel with a rifle length gas system it was $180...

I have a full stock it's a soft shooting rifle...

I like there free float tube also it ran $190 for the 15 inch one...

They made me a deal I couldn't refuse to assemble my parts...

havnt really seen anything bad about the utg rail yet. should be good as long as the AP upper uses the dpms high profile.

consider a 16" barrel. many of us built with 18s for whatever reason and now realize we would have had the same performance with a shorter more compact setup.

So I found a deal on the UTG rail for $110 shipped and bit the bullet. Pretty good deal considering its about $150+ everywhere else, and I like the looks of it too. Ill let everyone know how it fits up.

I'm reconsidering on the 16" barrel option...

Welcome from Indiana brother,a good barrel is a good thing to have.Rainer has good stuff.

Thanks! Also considering their barrels too.

Screw CMMG

Why?

Welcome from Florida.

Don't be afraid to tell us how you really feel Robo. :)

Thanks!

Take a look at Alex Pro Firearms...

I used  there 16 inch barrel with a rifle length gas system it was $180...

I have a full stock it's a soft shooting rifle...

I like there free float tube also it ran $190 for the 15 inch one...

They made me a deal I couldn't refuse to assemble my parts...

Just checked their site and they don't seem to have any barrels in stock.

My CMMG 18" barrel shoots pretty decent. :D

Good to know...

Cmmg has far too many qc issues for many of to support them. While their "good" barrels get great reviews, there are way to many with problems to give them a thumbs up. There's a ton of info on that here somewhere.

True - there were some assembly issues on my 308AR that I had to "touch up" when I got it out of the box.

Or shoot one right out of the box . <lmao>  I found a loose barrel nut on one a friend bought . At fifty yards is was printing 12gage  "00 " groups .

That was one of the "touch-ups" that required my attention on my CMMG too. Didn't notice it at first (i.e. out of the box) so I'm wondering if it somehow worked loose......

Edited by shibiwan

I initially was looking for a barrel with a rifle length gas system, but I found a decent deal on a threaded 18" DPMS barrel but the gas length on it is carbine. Is there any advantages/disadvantages to carbine vs rifle length? Which one would gain me better reliability with cycling? 

Edited by Luconi

Fuk UTG.  Wish I would have seen this before you spent your money.  That's some Chinese airsoft junk, right there.  Resale it to someone else, as soon as you receive it.

***Term "resale" was intentional and some here will get it.  Others will fully comprehend, but it will only come to them when they're shooting still ammo...  ***