• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

M9 still hanging on.

New paint and new tires doesn't make a new car... looks like an M9 to me.

DoD flat out said, if you bring a 9mm or .40 to the table, you'd better bring shock and awe with you.

I don't see this being able to outshine the P226 Mk25. With all the new .45's coming out it really has its work cut out for it.

I don't see this being able to outshine the P226 Mk25. With all the new .45's coming out it really has its work cut out for it.

I was lifetime 45/1911 guy, nothing could convince me that a 9mm could be a good combat pistol. Then some Navy guys convinced me to try the MK25......I'm sold!

I beat the crap out of that pistol, run 6 full mags as fast as I can acquire the target, turning the lube to smoke. I hardly ever clean it, maybe after 500 rounds if I'm bored. It continues to impress me with the reliability and above all,accuracy. No malfunctions with any round I feed it and I'm into the several thousands on the count. My 13 year old granddaughter was right on target after only a few

rounds, like her it's a natural shooter.

The 226 may be an "old" design but they seem to have got it right from the start.    

and that's my two cents.

The grip profile was always my least favorite part of the M9.  It's pretty wide, and people with smaller hands may find it impossible to get a proper grip.  I think they made good changes for the intended purpose.  Whether it will be enough to beat out the other candidates remains to be seen, but it certainly makes me like the M9 more.  My favorite 9mm (PPQ) isn't likely to be in the mix, however.  And there are a LOT of superb pistols out there.

As far as 9mm goes, isn't the military still prevented from using modern ammunition (hollowpoints and the like)?  There's not really a considerable difference between the diameters of the 9mm and the .45 (2.43 mm, in fact).  I always found the ".45 makes a bigger hole" argument to be missing any real basis in physics.  It seems to me that if there's a difference in stopping power it would be more about energy at impact and how it transfers that energy, but even that pales in comparison to shot placement.  And the 9 DOES have the considerable advantage of having MORE rounds to place, if your first ones don't do the job.

The "more rounds" argument is almost moot nowadays. Modern .45's (like Glock, STi, Springfield and FN) are loading 13 to 15 rounds per mag. Especially with the smaller 9mm's only holding 15-17.

NATO is regulated to "non expanding" ammunition, which makes a 1300fps 9mm into a high speed ball point pen.

The 9mm is 0.355" in diameter, in comparison to the .45ACP which measures .452 in diameter. That's a full tenth of an inch, add to the fact that twice the weight is flying in that .45 Cal proj.

Don't read from me that I'm knocking the 9mm. I love the round... for Law Enforcement... where there are no Geneva designated "Rules of Engagement"... and a 147gr Ranger T-Series will open someone up like artillery fire.

The 9mm, the .45, the .40, the 10mm, the XXX magnum +p+ super whatever, the .22 short.... they all kill you dead.

It's more of the, "what will a wounding shot do?" Especially since there are a significant number more wounds than deaths.

Personally, I'm just one tick away from trading my P220 in for a Mk25. I'd be swapping 8/10 round .45 mags for 20 round 9mm.... that's a metric shiit ton less reloads.

My bet for contenders on the DoD contract, will be mostly Sigs, Glock and Springfield.

MY LIST: (in no particular order)

Glock G21SF

Springfield XDm

Sig P227

Sig P320

Sig P226 Mk25

If Detonics pulls their thumb outta their azz, they might make the list as well... but they'll eventually lose out unless they agree to sell their design to a larger company... The 1911 and the M9, in their original forms, are to antiquated to continue into the next generation.

Fuk the M9.  I hate that pistol. I don't care how they paint it now, and whether or not the put a rail on it.  It fucking sucks.

EDIT - I do have my own Taurus PT-92, also.  Bought that in 1990, so I could have my own "training pistol" that I didn't have to be on a formal range to shoot.  The Taurus blows the Beretta away, for one simple reason - the put the safety where it belongs, which is NOT on the slide.  Fuk Beretta. Fucking idiots.

Edited by 98Z5V

Fuk the M9.  I hate that pistol. I don't care how they paint it now, and whether or not the put a rail on it.  It fucking sucks.

EDIT - I do have my own Taurus PT-92, also.  Bought that in 1990, so I could have my own "training pistol" that I didn't have to be on a formal range to shoot.  The Taurus blows the Beretta away, for one simple reason - the put the safety where it belongs, which is NOT on the slide.  Fuk Beretta. Fucking idiots.

It's even worse when you realize Beretta started out with the safety on the FRAME for the 92.  Dolts.

I too hate berettas, fook them all each and every onego ahead and get a 10 or a 40 you can have them too yes the 1911 is antiquated it  is heavy but!!!!! it is ergonomicly awesome all these plastic guns feel like a 2x2 in your hand so flame away but I am sticking to steel and wood and springs.

Never liked the M9 and carried it for years.  I told my boys in Iraq, "if push comes to shove and you have to use your pistol...empty the mag on them, if they're still alive throw it at them and bum rush their @$$ with your blade!".  They laughed until I told them I was [kind of] serious eluding to the lack of stopping power especially if they [the bad guys] were doped up on adrenaline. 

My last deployment to Afghan was a little a different and I was happier than a pig in $h!T when I was issued my Colt M45A1 CQBP and Wilson Combat mags (they were a sonofabiscuit to load new), but dam it was a dream to shoot.  The only thing I didn't like about it was the lack of available of holsters for it and the cerakote rubbed off way to easily.  Nit picky stuff and personal preferences there, but I never had an issue with the weapon itself. 

Granted the command I was with at the time was special. 

There is talk amongst leadership within the Corps to go back to a 1911 Corps wide due to the fact so many Marines are unhappy with the M9.  I'm not digging this new one.

I also don't care for the M9, ever since they day I shot one. Loaded it up, pulled the trigger and nothing happened... Was like what. Let go of the trigger and the thing went off. Everyone I have talked to blames the ammo, Which it could have been. But nope not a fan. Also its ugly as hell.

maybe its sentiment, but I love them. wouldn't carry one as there are better options (I don't do safeties) but if I ever find myself with funds to blow ill buy one. when I was armor, we hardly touched rifles. they sat in the arms room collecting dust. we shot the M9s pretty often, and each company took turns running the range while the other company qualified. through all that, thousands of rounds, I've seen relatively few failures. gun always seemed solid to me. I think its pretty too :)

• 3 weeks later...

You do understand that Beretta but the safety right were the DOD requested it be.