• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New guy from SoCal

suzukiray

Dirk told me about you guys so here I am. I build & drag race motorcycles & relax by porting cylinder heads. I now have an 80% lower & jig to build my 308. I will be gathering parts while trying to build a good 1000 yard gun without going broke at the same time. I have an AR15 I just finished & am building an inexpensive first AR15 for my son. I am also building a brown AR15 for myself & have the 80% lower for that along with a brown Bushmaster upper receiver. I am learning a lot here & look forward to input & parts recommendations on my builds.

Ray.

You've been talking to Dirk !? You realize that he used to wear orange jumpsuits from a federal-run facility don't you? We only interact with him so that he'll keep a calm composure. Otherwise.......stay away. He talks about crazy stuff.....like trucks.....guns.......bipods.......people from other planets........the goddess of Neptune.....fun times with a guy named Tom........you know, crazy $hit.

Definitely watch your 6.

Hardy fuckin har harr. I like his title. Welcome Ray! Keep us posted with pics when you start the machining process. And good luck with the wallet. Burn your credit cards now and save yourself some money. It's a lot harde to spend when it's cash and check.

HOOOOO-LEEEEEEE  SHEEEEIT!!!  :eek:

RAY!!! 

Damn, you guys - I've know Ray for a little while.  'Bout 8 years worth of "little while."  <lmao>

Dirk told me I was missing a thread, and needed to look for it, so I've been reading all kinds of $hit that I'd been missing.  I think this is the one he'd told me about.  <laughs>

WTF are you building, man?

• 4 weeks later...

I do almost all 4 stroke stuff. 2 stroke porting is almost a black science & I grew up in a car race shop porting heads first there. I never had a teacher for 2 stroke stuff but have played a little with a couple of my own. I prefer the torque of a 4 stroke so REALLY like the arm yanking pull from a 1400cc inline 4, street or drag bike.

Ray.

I never realized how simple a 2 stroke engine was until I rebuilt a blown chainsaw...has an input port and exhaust port. When they blow up it usually smears the ring on the inside of the cylinder wall, and that typically cleans off. A new piston and a new ring, some dremel work and it has been running like a banshee since. It is kinda loud since I opened up the muffler.

I'm sure I didn't do everything proper, I just used a dremel with a carbide bit and opened up the ports as well as opening up the muffler to allow it to breath better. Really brought it to life, to say the least. I use it for doing log work, and despite having other nicer chainsaws it is my favorite as I rebuilt and ported it myself. <thumbsup>

I never realized how simple a 2 stroke engine was until I rebuilt a blown chainsaw...has an input port and exhaust port.

That's nothing like porting a 2-stroke engine in anything else.  Tell me what you know about 2-stroke porting...  I'll engage.

That's nothing like porting a 2-stroke engine in anything else.  Tell me what you know about 2-stroke porting...  I'll engage.

I don't know too much at all. I just widen out the sides of the port, and keep it narrower than the cylinder, soften the edges and make them flow in...I used Drano to clean the old ring material off the cylinder wall. Bought a new piston and ring from Bailey's and put it all back together.

I know there are some guys that really understand them well, and hot rod the crap out of them...mine wasn't anything that drastic, I've done 2 of them...one was a blown Husqvarna 350, and the other was a Husqvarna 242xp. The 242xp runs like a  banshee, but the recoil on it is kinda funky...it's pretty old possibly one of the first XPs.

Too many projects and not enough time, so haven't spent any time messing around with Chainsaws in several years...

You cross a certain percentage of piston diameter on any of the port widths, and you'll run into serious trouble.  Same with changing the port roof.  That's what affects your port timing - and it's all about port timing on 2-strokes.  Only when you can't affect the port roof anymore, do you go wider, in a general sense.  It gets much deeper, though...  That's where the Black Magic that Ray was talking about comes into play.

You cross a certain percentage of piston diameter on any of the port widths, and you'll run into serious trouble.  Same with changing the port roof.  That's what affects your port timing - and it's all about port timing on 2-strokes.  Only when you can't affect the port roof anymore, do you go wider, in a general sense.  It gets much deeper, though...  That's where the Black Magic that Ray was talking about comes into play.

Yes, I was told to be careful about the roof and floor, so tried to stay conservative on that, and did more to the width. Since I really don't know what I'm doing, I just calculated a percentage that another guy told me was safe, and marked that with a sharpie so I could know how far on each side to grind. I just used a dremel with a carbide dremel bit. it's kind of like a long skinny cone shaped tip that has a bunch of steppled carbide nubs. I just took my time and let it do the work and free handed it. I wasn't something I needed to do...just like to build $#!T...same reason I build firearms.

I have another blown Husqvarna 359 which was rebuilt by someone else, and due to my perserverance in cutting a large log from underneath it's frozen solid. ;) I don't have time to rebuild it, nor do I really need it. The chainsaws I use for some log work I do all have 1/4" chain on them, so I don't need that much power. I've heard that's a good one to port.

Edited by liber