• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What made you decide to move to the 308 AR/AR-10 Platform?

imschur

Hello all,

First post here, I have been trolling for a while, I finally got a great deal on a 308 and decided to join!

Anyway, I bought the 308 for hunting to be quite honest.

Years ago (around 10 years ago) a few friends and I bought 5.56s to go deer hunting in Texas. Being the gentleman I am, I agreed to take my deer last and let them go ahead of me..... Long story short we ended up tracking their deer. I waited for the right shot to take mine. I had to get close to comfortably take my deer (125yds). When I got home I sold my rifle. Don't get me wrong that 5.56 was accurate out to 500 yds but I did not want a rifle that was target only, since I don't hunt coyote or prarie dogs.

I had successfully hunted most north American big game with a bolt action 308 I figured a AR10 was in my future. So yesterday I was in a local gun shop and got a great deal on a DPMS LR308. Today a big name outdoor store had the P308 Nikon 4-12 on sale for $199 so I bought it and Leupold quick release rings. Tomorrow morning I go out to sight it in!

Welcome aboard. I also have the Nikon M308, mine is 4-16x power. You got a smoking deal, considering I paid over $500 for mine. I have the Luth-Ar stock, its awesome!

Edited by 5150k9

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome aboard. I also have the Nikon M308, mine is 4-16x power. You got a smoking deal, considering I paid over $500 for mine. I have the Luth-Ar stock, its awesome!

P-308 and M-308 is the difference, right there.  The P-308 is a brand new scope from Nikon. 

Thanks for the replies,

I ordered the MBA stock and I am now debating on a hand guard.

I like the look of the free float tube but the quad rail is far more useful. That being said I will only use it to mount a bipod.

http://r.ebay.com/9LBlbC

http://r.ebay.com/gpUIXd

Which would you choose?

I have a DPMS made upper. Mine is more like the free float smooth hand guard. However mine had a sling swivel stud on the front and I mounted a harris Bi pod on it. That free float tube doesn't look like it has a sling stud mounted on it. Or are you gonna just machine it to mount a bi pod?

If you go to Introduction section on this sight, look up "Newbie from Cali" I posted it and there is a photo of my set up.

Edited by 5150k9

I have a DPMS made upper. Mine is more like the free float smooth hand guard. However mine had a sling swivel stud on the front and I mounted a harris Bi pod on it. That free float tube doesn't look like it has a sling stud mounted on it. Or are you gonna just machine it to mount a bi pod?

If you go to Introduction section on this sight, look up "Newbie from Cali" I posted it and there is a photo of my set up.

Thanks, thats what I was leaning towards.

• 1 month later...

Having carried a M-16 in Viet Nam I was always impressed with the utility of the weapon system but I never had much use for the little .223 round. After retiring from the military and the University of North Dakota I was looking for a new rifel. I looked at many models from a New Winchester model 1866 Delux Take Down rifle through a Browing X-Bolt with a beautiful maple stock. I finally settled on the new (at the time) Ruger SR-762.  It has enouth long range punch for distance target shooting or hunting though not nearly as good looking as the Browning and a bit pricy, however with the double piston design it stays much cleaner and cooler (I really got tired of scraping down and cleaning the old M-16 especially in the early days of ball powder). The early M-16 had its problems though mainy due to poor dicesion making by military higher ups but the basic design was solid and comfortable.

Having carried a M-16 in Viet Nam I was always impressed with the utility of the weapon system but I never had much use for the little .223 round. After retiring from the military and the University of North Dakota I was looking for a new rifel. I looked at many models from a New Winchester model 1866 Delux Take Down rifle through a Browing X-Bolt with a beautiful maple stock. I finally settled on the new (at the time) Ruger SR-762.  It has enouth long range punch for distance target shooting or hunting though not nearly as good looking as the Browning and a bit pricy, however with the double piston design it stays much cleaner and cooler (I really got tired of scraping down and cleaning the old M-16 especially in the early days of ball powder). The early M-16 had its problems though mainy due to poor dicesion making by military higher ups but the basic design was solid and comfortable.

Stoner told them what powder to use, guess Winchester owned some pols tho

^^^^ There you go brother lasher,outstanding.Looking at the M1a's on Fulton armory's site makes me :drool:  Damn nice rifle.A good compliment to my M1 Garand.Someday,so many toys,so little money. <lmao>

Thats the next wish list build. Hey its only money right?

• 2 months later...

The price was right, cheap build and It makes my shoulder scream #merica. After shooting my buddies Ar-15, I just felt I needed more for that pending zombie apocalypse. Don't get me wrong it was a fun 15, but the big-brother-10 is where it's at. Plus it was my gift to myself for graduating from college. 

I wanted something to replace my M1A and FAL with.    What I really wanted was something in 3006.   I don’t want to have to join some club to be able to buy a M1 Garand.   So when I found out that DPMS was making AR types in 308 I jumped.   Bought my first rifle (20”) from Buds and them built my second, a 16” carbine.   My second one is my goto weapon.

DSC00002_zpsptptq3cd.jpg

DSC00003_zpsa1dh14fv.jpg

Wolf

1.  I wanted to shoot an AR in a caliber that would knock something the hell down.  A caliber designed originally as a Varmint round I was not interested in.

2.  I was and am very wary and iffy about the alternative calibers being floated about...  6.5, 6.8, 300 AAC, 7.62x39, 457socom, 50 Beowulf, etc. etc.

3.  The .308 / 7.62x51 has decades of commercial civilian and military NATO use and support in terms of ammunition, reloading, etc..  And it is a proven and established caliber whose knock-down power is settled science.  .308 is also known to be relatively easy on barrels.

sg68nr.jpg

My DPMS Gen2 Recon pimped out 3-gun style with a Geisselle trigger.  Since this pic was taken I added a PRI GasBuster extended latch charging handle, which is specific to the Gen2 - makes charging easier with the scope.  I've also moved from the Leupold VX-6 1-6 Ballistic Firedot scope to the VX-R 4-12x50 Ballistic Firedot as I've starting shooting at longer distances.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

unforgiven, Thanks for the envite but no thanks, belong to to many clubs now.

For one thing I don’t like to have to join a club in order to get one.   And then have to prove that I am a citizen of this great country.   Most of my family has been here for several hundred years and others have been here for over a thousand years or more.   Native American Indian.

All ready have five overweight paperweights; don’t need another or another type of ammunition to buy.   I have a M1A1 and two FALS, one DPMS AR10 LR308 20 inch rifle and one DPMS AR10A2 Carbine.   If I want to shot 3006 I’ll just drag out my 1903 Springfield.    I can reload 308 to 06 spicks with the right powder.

Wolf   

Crankbait wrote:

"My DPMS Gen2 Recon pimped out 3-gun style with a Geisselle trigger.  Since this pic was taken I added a PRI GasBuster extended latch charging handle, which is specific to the Gen2 - makes charging easier with the scope.  I've also moved from the Leupold VX-6 1-6 Ballistic Firedot scope to the VX-R 4-12x50 Ballistic Firedot as I've starting shooting at longer distances."

Where, exactly, did you find a 308 G2 charging handle? I can't find that for sale at PRI's own website. In fact, I can't find any charging handles for a DPMS G2, either from DPMS or any other manufacturer.  

Edited by Ned
correction

Crankbait wrote:

Where, exactly, did you find a 308 G2 charging handle? I can't find that for sale at PRI's own website. In fact, I can't find any charging handles for a DPMS G2, either from DPMS or any other manufacturer.  

DPMS G2 Gas Buster® Charging Handle w/ Military Latch

DPMS G2 308 Charging Handle with Big Military Latch for DPMS 's new G2 308 rifle- M-84L Gas Buster® charging handle - featuring the big latch increases safety by inhibiting harmful blow back gases and oil particles from striking the shooter.

Item:03-072-G5

https://www.precisionreflex.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=1103874